Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 AM

Default Questions for AVID about HD and Vanilla Licenses going forward into 2015

I always come back to the same questions so I am starting a thread with no commentary - only relevant - valid questions from a 17 year PTHD and Vanilla user...

HD Licenses:

1. When a current (PT11 today) HD license support plan expires (or is never initiated)
    1. Will it be possible to rejoin the support plan?
    2. If so what will be the cost?
    3. If it is NOT possible to rejoin the Support plan will there be an option to RePurchase an HD License (Like Media Composer)
      1. If there is an option to purchase and HD License what will be the cost?
      2. If there is an option to purchase and HD License is this available to
        1. Only Previous HD License owners?
        2. Only PT11 HD License owners?
        3. HD Hardware owners?
        4. Anyone?
    4. ---------------
  2. Will an expired HD License be transferable to a new owner? (Answer - Likely? - but Only as part of an entire HD system Sale per http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/en363631. This has been updaetd since I last looked and is today - quite clear.
    1. If so what is the process? (as above)
    2. If so can the new owner add the support plan?
    3. ---------------
  3. If someone has a current HD license and Support plan
    1. Is the License transferable to a new owner? (Answer - YES - but Only as part of an entire HD system Sale per http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/en363631. This has been updaetd since I last looked and is today - quite clear.
      1. If the license is transferable is the Support plan remainder also transferable to a new owner?
      2. If the License is transferable and the Support Plan not, can the new owner join the service plan?
      3. -------------------
  4. What are the “flexible options” for HD Licenses and associated costs?
    1. Are these available to only expired PTHD license owners - all owners of PTHD Hardware - other specified groups - or can anyone use these?
    2. -------------------
  5. We understand that the Support plan is more extensive for HD users whether they need it or not. $400 extra per year (over the Vanilla plan) seems excessive for users that either have never or don’t anticipate any need for this (17 years for me - zero support calls).
    1. Will you consider making the option for more support a paid option rather than an imposed cost on the HD users?
    2. --------------------
  6. HD users have already paid a serious premium for the associated hardware - what justification is there for such a large price difference compared to PT11 Vanilla Support plans?
    1. Are HD users to expect an ongoing list of new HD only Software features?
    2. ---------------------
  7. Why is there no tiered pricing for Current PT11HD owners?

Vanilla Licenses (mostly the same questions)
  1. When a current (PT11 today) License Support plan expires (or is never initiated)
    1. Will it be possible to rejoin the Support plan? (current answer looks like NO - but can purchase new copy of software + Support Plan = $899)
    2. If so what will be the cost to rejoin the Support Plan?
    3. ---------------
  2. Will an expired License be sellable and transferable to a new owner?
    1. If so what is the process? (Answer = Yes for transfer - straight ilok sale with optional Transfer of Ownership process covered in http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/en363631)
    2. If so can the new owner add the Support plan?
    3. ---------------
  3. If someone has a current License and Support plan
    1. Is the License transferable to a new owner? (Answer = Yes for transfer - straight ilok sale with optional Transfer of Ownership process covered in http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/en363631)
      1. If the license is transferable is the Support plan remainder also transferable to a new owner?
      2. If the License is transferable and the Support Plan not, can the new owner join the service plan?
      3. -------------------
  4. Why is there no tiered pricing for Current PT11 Vanilla owners?
IN General
  1. The whole concept of what bug fixes are and dot releases - especially as they apply to expired licenses - are so ill defined that no intelligent discourse is yet possible. Could AVID please define in the context of the new License scheme:
    1. What defines a BUG
      1. Will there be a public list?
      2. Who exactly can expect a fix for these (Current, expired, how far expired etc?)
    2. What defines a DOT Release
      1. Who exactly can expect one of these? (Current, expired, how far expired etc?)
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html

Last edited by propower; 11-17-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Questions for AVID about HD and Vanilla Licenses going forward into 2015

What we do know:

rejoining the support plan cost can be done anytime at current MSRP of the software at the time of rejoining

HD licenses are non-transferable without the transfer of the HD(X/N) card(s) same has it has been

A.B.x : x is a bug fix, an expired plan can still get these
A.y.C : y is a feature update/add, I don't know
z.B.C : z is a whole version, no

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-17-2014, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Questions for AVID about HD and Vanilla Licenses going forward into 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
What we do know:

rejoining the support plan cost can be done anytime at current MSRP of the software at the time of rejoining

HD licenses are non-transferable without the transfer of the HD(X/N) card(s) same has it has been

Thanks - I did include some updates to reflect this. The Transfer of Ownership form and web page were MUCH improved since I last looked at them. Thanks for pointing it out
Old 11-17-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
What we do know:

HD licenses are non-transferable without the transfer of the HD(X/N) card(s) same has it has been...
Which means since HD licenses have no MSRP, apples are being compared to oranges!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:30 AM

Good luck with getting answers. I think Avid has no interest in answering any more details til they themselves do the next brief push of info (once they've decided themselves what to do), and then they'll retreat once more to let us all scrap amongst ourselves.

FWIW my PT10HD/PT11HD license bundle as "no" to license transferable in the iLok license manager.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM

Last edited by noiseboyuk; 11-18-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Good luck with getting answers. I think Avid has no interest in answering any more details til they themselves do they next brief push of info (once they've decided themselves what to do), and then they'll retreat once more to let us all scrap amongst ourselves.
That about sums it up!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:57 AM

I suppose I just wanted to put all the questions I have and the ones I have seen come up in a single spot as a list. I surely wish AVID would respond - there are quite a lot of valid concerns beyond just stating what the "flexible options" are going to be.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I suppose I just wanted to put all the questions I have and the ones I have seen come up in a single spot as a list. I surely wish AVID would respond - there are quite a lot of valid concerns beyond just stating what the "flexible options" are going to be.
Likewise with the Student licensing one I started.

No response from Avid.

I guess we'll both need to set an alarm for regular bumping of our pet threads, as I also don't see Avid responding anytime soon ;-)
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
What we do know:

What about someone in my position who owns HD11 buy have TDM system all of which are registered to my Avid account.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-18-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
What about someone in my position who owns HD11 buy have TDM system all of which are registered to my Avid account.
No problem -- read Transfer of ownership doc

http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fi...ent_1__Body__s

Pro Tools HD software and Systems
Avid will transfer ownership of Pro Tools HD systems and software. This will change the registered owner, move
iLok licenses to the buyer’s iLok account, and provide applicable software downloads in the buyer’s Avid account.

I
n order to be eligible for Pro Tools HD transfer of ownership:

The seller must be a registered owner of both Pro Tools HD software AND a Pro Tools HD core system (HD TDM, HDX, HD Native, or anHD Native Thunderbolt)
andis transferring ownership of BOTH the core and Pro Tools HD software.*

Or, the seller must be a registered owner of Pro Tools and Complete Production Toolkit that was upgraded
to Pro Tools HD 11