Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 AM

Default Syncing two identical PT rigs through MIDI

I have two identical rigs: Macbook Pro and Digi 003. How can I have one be master and one slave? Basically, by hitting space bar on the master, both computers start at the same time. You have to hit space bar on both machines to stop them. It is for a PT live rig that needs both rigs sync'd and running at the same time.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 AM

Wink Re: Syncing two identical PT rigs through MIDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian steve View Post
I have two identical rigs: Macbook Pro and Digi 003. How can I have one be master and one slave? Basically, by hitting space bar on the master, both computers start at the same time. You have to hit space bar on both machines to stop them. It is for a PT live rig that needs both rigs sync'd and running at the same time.
I would use MTC.

For your first rig as the master device - In Pro Tools of your first Master rig:
1) Use a MIDI cable to connect the MIDI OUT of your first 003 to the MIDI In of your second 003.

2) Go to the Setup menu and choose “Peripherals…”. Click on the Synchronization tab and set “MTC Generator Port" to the corresponding MIDI output port going to your slave rig.

3) Go to the Setup menu and choose “Session". Set "Time Code Rate" to 30.

4) If your Transport window is not already open, open it by going to the Window menu and choosing “Transport”.

5) Go to the View menu and highlight Transport. Choose Synchronization and click on the GEN MTC that appears on the Transport window.

In Pro Tools of your Slave rig:
1) Go to the Setup menu and choose “Peripherals…”. Click on the Synchronization tab and verify that “MTC Reader Port" is set to Any.

2) Go to the Setup menu and choose “Session". Set "Time Code Rate" to 30.

3) If your Transport window is not already open, open it by going to the Window menu and choosing “Transport”.

4) Put Pro Tools online by pressing the Online button on the far left of the Transport window. This will be verified by a blinking blue online button.

5) Press play in the master rig and the slave rig should now be playing along with Pro Tools.

NOTE: When using MTC, you should add 1 or 2 bars of blank pre-roll on both rigs.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Syncing two identical PT rigs through MIDI

Ok both rigs playback. But I need the slave rig to continue playing even if the master turns off or gets unplugged. How can this be accomplished?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM

This is for a live playback rig with a radial sw8 switcher at the heart of it all.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 AM

Hi Steve,

Was working on the same problem today! With two Adat type machines.

What you need to do is to set your "master" to transmit MMC (Midi Machine control) and your enable your "slave", in the "Peripherals" menu. Connect a Midi cable between the two systems and off you go.

Start and stop! Plus, you can pull the power on the master-system and your slave will keep on going!

Don't forget about the music
Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian steve View Post
Ok both rigs playback. But I need the slave rig to continue playing even if the master turns off or gets unplugged. How can this be accomplished?
Don't know. Just keep the master going! I don't think it's possible since the slave mimics playback of the master.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBoy View Post
Hi Steve,

Was working on the same problem today! With two Adat type machines.

What you need to do is to set your "master" to transmit MMC (Midi Machine control) and your enable your "slave", in the "Peripherals" menu. Connect a Midi cable between the two systems and off you go.

Start and stop! Plus, you can pull the power on the master-system and your slave will keep on going!
I did that and clicked the little clock and it did not work. Do I need MTC enabled as well? And what channel should they transmit on? Sorry for all the questions. I had this work on a PT7 rig but no go on the PT8.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 AM

Hi Steve,

The trick really is not to sync the rigs together: if one rig stops the other will as well. You can either sync both rigs independently to a LTC/MTC source or use MMC to issue transport commands from rig to rig.

(Transmit to what ever midi port is connecting your rigs.)

Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBoy View Post
Hi Steve,

The trick really is not to sync the rigs together: if one rig stops the other will as well. You can either sync both rigs independently to a LTC/MTC source or use MMC to issue transport commands from rig to rig.

(Transmit to what ever midi port is connecting your rigs.)
Hmmm, I'm positive the slave rig can still play even after the master fails. Not sure how to set it up. They both still mimic playback/stop. I used to start the master for each live song and then have to stop the master and slave after each song. I need the master to start and then the slave continuing even after the master stops.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Dear Steve,

If you use MMC, rather than trying to sync via MTC, you can pull the power on the master machine and the slave will continue to run. Also, if you press stop on the master, the slave will stop.

Our client was delighted with the solution. Cost; one Midi cable.