Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 AM

Default Not hearing audio on a track AFTER a punch out

Here's an issue I've had in the past. Still having it. I select an area to "punch in" on a track. Let's say it's "bar 6" of an 8 bar phrase. A one bar punch in / drop in.

*Before* the punch I hear the recorded audio on that track, right up to the downbeat of bar 6. Then, I hear the "new recording" (the drop in) at bar 6.

At the downbeat of bar 7, I SHOULD hear the prerecorded material again, but I don't. Any thoughts? If I stop (and playback), yes, the prerecorded material IS there at bar 7 and 8. But it's annoying because while recording the punch you can't hear "context".

Thanks in advance.

PT 2019 / High Sierra / MacBook Pro / UAD Apollo Twin, etc...It's not the UAD stuff. This was happening even when I used a different interface.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Not hearing audio on a track AFTER a punch out

This has been an issue for me since v12 on Win7 thru current versions on Win 10. I run into lots of people who never use Quickpunch so I’m guessing that’s why I don’t often hear people complain about this.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:35 PM

Yes I'm having the same issue. Kind of annoying.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 08-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Things to check:
How are you punching out?(or are you)?
Do you have Post-roll enabled(with at least 1 bar)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-22-2019, 07:22 AM

Thanks, all!

Re: these questions: "How are you punching out?(or are you)?

Do you have Post-roll enabled(with at least 1 bar)?"

Post-roll is set to 99 bars, always. Quick punch in enabled. I'm punching in this way: (Let's us my example above), selecting / highlighting "bar 6". Then, I hit Command / Space bar. Let's say I have 2 bars of Pre-roll.

PT rolls from bar 4. I hear what's recorded on bars 4 and 5. At bar 6, PT goes into record, and I play my part. PT records bar 6, and goes "out of record" at bar 7---and keeps rolling.

But, as of bar 7, I no longer hear the recorded material on the track! And yes, it is annoying, and I'd love to find the solution. I using the recommended OS for my version of PT.

OS 10.13.6 and PT is Version 19.6.0.370
Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Just to be clear, you have the Transport in Quick Punch, but you're relying on PT to automatically go into Record rather than using "3" on the Num Pad or F12 to "Punch In", yes?

Try leaving PT in regular Record, using Pre and Post Roll and highlighting the section you want to record into.

Clutching at a straw here, BTW.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-22-2019, 10:32 AM

Just confirmed this bug with 2019.6 Ultimate (HD Native thunderbolt) on Sierra with a Mac Pro trashcan. That's pretty nasty! Hope it's fixed soon.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-24-2019, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the straw, Bruce.

Quick Punch is engaged. I don't use a Num Pad, never have.

PT is in "record ready", and then I highlight the bar(s) I wish to "punch in / replace". Pre and Post rolls are set---typically to 2 bars and 99 bars respectively.

You know how this works: When you hit CMD and Space bar, she starts rolling, and the selected bar gets recorded. (I almost always work in "Bars and Beats".)

When it goes OUT of record, at the end of the "selection", I can't hear the pre-recorded material *after* the punch out. Of course, the pre-recorded material IS there. If I stop and play back, then I'll hear the post-punch audio.

Does that clarify? Thanks, all...it's an annoying glitch. When you can't hear the post punch material right after the punch out, it's a drag, because you can't hear "context". Dare I say...AVID!!! Help!!!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Let me clarify what I was trying to say in my other post.

I deal with radio types in commercial production and, for most of them, Quick Punch is not used the way you are using it. Here's an example:

Voice Talent in the booth to add a tag to a spot or replace a line in a spot. With the Transport in Quick Punch Mode and the Track in Record, Spacebar to start Playback, using either Pre Roll or more likely, just putting the cursor back in the Timeline. Talent reads along and, as the Punch Point comes up, producer starts recording by hitting "3" on the Num Pad, new material is voiced and recorded and then Spacebar stops the recording and the Transport is stopped. Talent will hear the old material past the punch in as long as the Transport is running. The thing I like about Quick Punch and "3" on the Num Pad is, unlike any other Transport Mode - Loop, Non-Destructive or Destructive Record - is that you can go in and out of Record as the Transport is moving. So, for instance, if you were recording a series of tags wild or doing a series of slide narrations, just ask the Talent to give a couple of seconds pause before starting the next piece, hit "3", Transport goes into Record, hit "2" again, Transport goes out of Record, hit "3" again, Transport goes back into Record, rinse and repeat and you have the reads in sections. The Transport won't stop until you hit Spacebar.

What I was suggesting you try was the other way of punching in: put the Transport in Non-Destructive Record, Record Arm the Track, set your Pre and Post Roll parameters, highlight the section you want to Record into and simply hit the Spacebar. The Transport should play down from your Pre Roll point, drop into Record at the beginning of the highlighted section, drop out of Record at the end of the highlighted section and continue playing until your Post Roll point. If it doesn't, then start a Support Case with Avid.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-26-2019, 02:44 PM

Yeah, very interesting, Weed, but that’s not how or why I use quick punch. I don’t use it to drop in an out several times while things are rolling.

I record music. People send me tracks / songs to play on, and I overdub my guitars and various other string instruments. So, I’m engineering while I’m playing. I never drop in / drop out / drop back in, ‘cause my hands are busy playing.

So, I always make a selection, with Pre and Post Roll. What I’m experiencing, and I’m not the only one, is that when the "punch out” occurs, PT does not play back the audio on that track AFTER the punch out point. It should, and with my prior setups it did. The audio is there, untouched, it just can’t be “heard” under the circumstance described above. This is not the way things should operate.

Here’s *why* I have quick punch enabled:

With Quick Punch enabled, Pro Tools is recording all the way from the Pre-roll flag to the Post-roll flag, even though only the highlighted section is displayed as having been recorded. What this means is that I can now use the Trim tool to extend the punch points (both the in and the out) to include parts of the waveform *beyond* the punch boundaries. I find this feature to be super useful for smooth editing of musical performances!!! Forgive me if you already know this!