Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Report you PT8 exp. here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I'm going to soundly refute that. I regularly work on a MacBook Pro 2.2ghz and it worked great with Pro Tools 8. 48 tracks, tons of plug-ins, etc.
What was on your firewire bus?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Regardless, your earlier post about needing Mac Pros for professional work was nonsense.

Plain and simple.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
So, no other peripherals attached? No USB devices? You're using the keyboard and trackpad on the laptop? Are the drives connected to the FW800 port and the 002 to the FW400 port?

And I assume you mean 'Core 2 Duo'.

We definitely need to know if this is 10.5.5 or 10.5.6.

Here's a link to the Pro Tools Utilities (make sure to grab the one for Pro Tools 8) - please download and generate a plug-in version list and paste it into your reply.

Pro Tools Utilities
USB devices include a hub with an Ilok key and my mouse and keyboard and an m-audio raduim 61. The laptop is closed, and I'm using the Apple HD monitor with external keyboard and mouse.

Yes, the drives are daisy-chained off the FW800 port, and the 002 is on the fW400 port.

Yes, Core 2 Duo.

I confirmed with my g/f that the OS is definitely 10.5.5.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
Regardless, your earlier post about needing Mac Pros for professional work was nonsense.

Plain and simple.
"Regardless" huh?

With a Mac Pro, you can get multiple firewire busses via firewire cards. And these you do in fact need for pure throughput reasons, unless you have some other form of card-based i/o.

Plain and simple.

(And I must note that having separate fw400 and fw800 ports does NOT mean you have separate fw busses!)
Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 PM

How is a MacBookPro an old laptop? I hate to break it to you, but not everyone has this huge stack of money sitting around ready to buy the latest and greatest bleeding edge technology.

Like all software/hardware companies, they have to look at their user base. If 90% of their customers were using G4 computers for whatever reason, and they didn't think these people were going to upgrade, then they'd surely cater to 90% of their customers (all numbers theoretical of course).

You cut off where it doesn't make sense anymore for the return, or the lack of capability. But just because you don't find value in using a laptop, doesn't negate the importance of working in this way. I surely think there are enough professionals that would highly disagree. I'd not want to be dragging a Mac Pro to a location to record a bunch of tracks into PTLE.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Here's the question: who do you cut off?

Should digi spend its resources supporting old laptops and noisy G4's and the whole Windoze morass or should digi spend those same resources pushing the current DAW into the next generation?

They are forcing people to upgrade to Leopard, which is probably right. The narrower their support footprint the faster they can move forward. Windoze is a strategic thing (plus iirc Intel itself paid for it to be ported) but old Macs and people trying to make recordings with Rube Goldberg machines shouldn't worry them too much.
Curious to see the performance on your Mac Pro with PT8.0 vs. my G5 quad with PT7.4.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
I have 3 FW800 drives connected to the FW800 port on the computer and 2 on one of the FW400 ports off the Siig 2 port FW400 expresscard, while the other port on that card has either a 002, 003, 1814 or 2626 on it, depending on where I'm working.

Your speculation about using FW800 and FW400 devices on the same bus/controller may have merit - I've seen it before, which is why I choose to do it the way I am, however I was working fine with a 002 and FW800 drive on the computers built in ports before I got the Siig card.

I think we should look at exhausting the other troubleshooting first and suggest a card once we know everything else is in order.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM

You are wrong, plain and simple with regards to the Mac Pro.

I have both 896HDs attached chained to the MacPro and the DIGI 003 chained to them. I have 2 FW800 drives attached also to the MacPro. I also have NO bottleneck issues with this setup. I have tested sessions with and without all this connected (because in Digital Performer, I can chose to use the system out)

I DO NOT have any extra FW cards in the machine because I have no more room:

2x7300GT card
1 UAD1 card
1 UAD2 Duo card

And I've been using this setup for a long time (minus the UAD2 which is new) and have always had great results REGARDLESS of whether the sessions was running on the Mac Pro or the Mac Book Pro with all the same hardware.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
"Regardless" huh?

With a Mac Pro, you can get multiple firewire busses via firewire cards. And these you do in fact need for pure throughput reasons, unless you have some other form of card-based i/o.

Plain and simple.

(And I must note that having separate fw400 and fw800 ports does NOT mean you have separate fw busses!)
I have the same macbook pro as DigiTechSupt and am also able to run good size sessions, with lots of plugins. I track drums with Superior 2.0 at the lowest latency with a 1GB+ kit loaded into RAM, no problems. Real drums, done that too, with 8 channels of drums and another 8 of instruments via ADAT. I have my interface on the onboard ports, my HD on an expresscard, the Axiom Keyboard on the left USB port and the ilok on the right.

A Mac Pro is a great computer, but it is completely untrue that you "need" this to record and edit music with Pro Tools. The expansion slots on the Macbook Pros give you 2 firewire busses and that is more than enough throughput for most of the projects out there.

And if you need more than that, you are probably in a full blown recording studio, you should have a Mac Pro, and you should probably be running HD, not LE.

J
Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I have 3 FW800 drives connected to the FW800 port on the computer and 2 on one of the FW400 ports off the Siig 2 port FW400 expresscard, while the other port on that card has either a 002, 003, 1814 or 2626 on it, depending on where I'm working.
I'm impressed! You guys are suggesting that that contraption is guar-an-teed to work?

If you add up the bandwidth that system _could_ be asked to handle and what it in fact could handle you will probably find you are exceeding the bus's limits by about 300% or so.

Apple is phasing firewire (its own baby) out for a reason: it is a mess (especially for realtime applications), and I'm not sure fw3200 will gain enough support to ride in for the rescue. My hope for audio interfaces is everyone just agrees to go with MADI cards, straight digital to computer, and we can buy whatever analog-to-MADI boxes we want. (And expresscard MADI is fine with me )

Regardless, I'd suggest the crank1000 is asking too much of that configuration. Perhaps being careful about which drives are in use would work around the problem.