Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Report you PT8 exp. here

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
Is there any significance in your user name, or was it just a fortuitous choice?

lol, just an old nick name. No relation to what you're thinking.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Again, Crank1000, can you give us your complete system specs so we can know exactly what we're working with?

I'd also like to send you a utility that will generate a plug-in version list - can you send an email to:

vi [at] digidesign [dot] com

with the email address you would like it sent to, or just let me know if I can send it to the email address in your profile.

Like I said, I think the problems you're having can be solved, we just need to get more details and track down the source.

I may not be able to get to solving everything today - I'll do what I can, but it's extremely busy and I may not have time.

One thing I strongly suspect is plug-ins - can you go through yours and verify that you're on the latest versions? Either that or wait until I can get you the utility so you can post the version list and I can tell you which ones will need to be updated.
Here's my specs per the thread you referred me to:

* Computer model and processor speed: Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Core Duo
* OS version: 10.5.5
* Digidesign or M-Audio hardware model: 002 rack.
* Pro Tools version: 8.0
* Amount of RAM installed: 2GB.
* Any attached peripherals: 2 Lacie FW800 drives. 1 Apple HD Monitor.

Yes, you can send the utility to my e-mail listed. I am not home right now, so I can't check it until later, but I will try both the utility and manually check everything.

Edit: I just talked to my g/f and she confirmed that her computer is in fact 10.5.5.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
quote from the compatibility and upgrades page.

Pro Tools 8 Operating System Requirements
Mac OS X 10.5.5 (Leopard)

Could 10.5.6 have anything to do with your problem?
I will double check my OS. It's my girfriend's computer, and I assume it is on the latest version, but I could be mistaken. I'm at work though, so I won't know for sure until tonight.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank1000 View Post

* OS version: 10.5.6
I hope you realize that 2 fw800 drives and an 002 will all reside on the same internal firewire bus, and combining that with Leopard and only 2GB of RAM, you have yourself a "pathological" test harness that most likely the programmers just bailed on.

You need a Mac Pro to do pro audio with in 2008. Recording real drums and amplitube? They are supporting laptops for those kids making beats with a 24key midi controller and no external drives...
Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
You need a Mac Pro to do pro audio with in 2008.
So, the rather high end Manhattan recording studio I was in a couple of months ago with a G4-based Mac is not doing pro audio? What about the Philadelphia based studio where my one band recorded strings and a rather nice Steinway, with a old Windows XP box? Just want to make sure so I can pass that information on to them. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:

You need a Mac Pro to do pro audio with in 2008. Recording real drums and amplitube? They are supporting laptops for those kids making beats with a 24key midi controller and no external drives...
?

Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 PM

I use a MacBookPro for all kinds of tasks and do not see any issues with regards to pro software of any kind, including Logic 8, Digital Performer 6, PTLE7.4, Final Cut HD, or even some serious Max/MSP patches.

There are MANY professionals who do lots of work on Mac Book Pros, specifically for their portability AND power. I've used plenty of extremely intense sessions with multiple external hardware drives AND firewire interfaces on my Macbook at the same time and had no issue.

And I am using Leopard
And I've done all this with 2 Gig of RAM

True, there could be an issue with the DIGI piece and the drives, but other HW interfaces I've not had a problem with. I've run 2 896HDs chained and a FW800 drive attached where sessions were coming from and it worked great.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank1000 View Post

* OS version: 10.5.5

Yes, you can send the utility to my e-mail listed. I am not home right now, so I can't check it until later, but I will try both the utility and manually check everything.

Edit: I just talked to my g/f and she confirmed that her computer is in fact 10.5.5.
So, no other peripherals attached? No USB devices? You're using the keyboard and trackpad on the laptop? Are the drives connected to the FW800 port and the 002 to the FW400 port?

And I assume you mean 'Core 2 Duo'.

We definitely need to know if this is 10.5.5 or 10.5.6.

Here's a link to the Pro Tools Utilities (make sure to grab the one for Pro Tools 8) - please download and generate a plug-in version list and paste it into your reply.

Pro Tools Utilities
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Here's the question: who do you cut off?

Should digi spend its resources supporting old laptops and noisy G4's and the whole Windoze morass or should digi spend those same resources pushing the current DAW into the next generation?

They are forcing people to upgrade to Leopard, which is probably right. The narrower their support footprint the faster they can move forward. Windoze is a strategic thing (plus iirc Intel itself paid for it to be ported) but old Macs and people trying to make recordings with Rube Goldberg machines shouldn't worry them too much.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Avid

Quote:
I'm going to soundly refute that. I regularly work on a MacBook Pro 2.2ghz and it worked great with Pro Tools 8. 48 tracks, tons of plug-ins, etc.