Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Speaker Breakup

Great explaination Chris. Thanks.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 AM

Many thanks for adding in this great feature. So looking forward to trying it out tonight!

Anything that can dampen or work with that high end fizz that you sometimes get is a bonus! I mean in the end, it's all eq'ing, really but when you have something specific for that frequency change, it's great and makes finding that sweet spot a bit easier!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM

This was the first thing I tried out this morning. Works just the way it says on the tin. Very nice! :)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM

The personal passion and pride regarding the speaker breakup feature and Eleven Rack really shines through. That may be one of the best product posts I've ever read from a company.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM

Thumbs up Re: Speaker Breakup

Thanks Chris!
Very informative and I must say I LOVE the new speaker breakup!
I think its a great improvement over the "old" Eleven one.

The speaker compression/feel is an amazing new feature, as is all the new stuff

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:19 AM

I love the way it works when at 3.0 to smoothen the ON Axis mic sims.

It rocks !!

Mesa Boogie IIC+ JVK Monster
Eleven Rack
EBMM Petrucci Variax
Dunlop GCB95Q
Ernie Ball Volume pedal VPJR6180
Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Avid

Awesome, glad you like it!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 PM

I tried the speaker breakup briefly the first evening I got the ERXP. To be honest, my initial impression was: "Hmm...doesn't do much"...

Rewinding back to 2 years ago, there was a thread somewhere (EVH section of the Metroamp forum, I think - SERIOUS EVH nutters on there!) Someone asked "What is your favourite recorded guitar tone?" and I said mine was the end section of VH's "Drop Dead Legs" (2:37 ->) the bit where he comes in with the low D single note riff...that guitar sound is just incredible!! I actually started another thread on there and asked "How the hell did he get this sound and what is it?". Nobody really knew but I thought it actually sounded like maybe the cardboard of the speaker cone was hitting the mic slightly or something...

Anyway, back to this afternoon...I've got a really nice VH sound going with the new plexi variac and I thought: "ok, time to fine tune it and have another go with the speaker breakup". So I turn the Speaker breakup from 0.0 to 1.4 and HOLY CRAP - that's the sound!!!! That's the special component in the awesome guitar sound on the end of Drop Dead Legs!!...it's speaker breakup!!

I made a little demo clip using the start of the song (not the bit I'm talking about above) to show the difference it makes:-

https://sites.google.com/site/jimifi...edirects=0&d=1

(soundcloud link to same file) http://soundcloud.com/jimification/d...peaker-breakup

The track runs like this:
1) Intro and Verse with SB
2) Intro and Verse without SB
3) short clip with SB
4) short clip without SB
5) " with
6) " without
7) " with
8) " without

Hopefully you can hear the difference...like a lot of these things, it IS fairly subtle when listening to the .mp3 but when you're playing it makes a world of difference...at that setting (1.4) it seems to basically replace some of the "fizz" with "rasp". Pure Loveliness :)

Flipping nice work Eleven Team!!!

Edit: Added little clip (below)having a go at the end section of Drop Dead Legs with the Plexi Variac / Speaker Breakup. I also tried to simulate the detuner sound in my DAW but not sure if I like it!

http://soundcloud.com/jimification/d...gs-end-section

Here's the same track without the detuner:-

http://soundcloud.com/jimification/d...-end-section-1
Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
We also made it so that you can keep Speaker Breakup on when you're using the Outputs to Amp without the cab. (...) But remember it's still on when the cab is off!

(You can turn it off in each Rig by just setting it to 0.0)

my setup is the following:

pre-recorded DI-Signal -> Eleven Rack Preamp/Poweramp Sim -> Redwirez IR

Is it possible to use the speaker breakup feature AFTER the Redwirez IR's and would they benefit from speaker breakup, equally? Or is speaker breakup meant to be used BEFORE the Cab Sim, anyway?

Thank you in advance, Kwinn from Germany
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwinn View Post
my setup is the following:

pre-recorded DI-Signal -> Eleven Rack Preamp/Poweramp Sim -> Redwirez IR

Is it possible to use the speaker breakup feature AFTER the Redwirez IR's and would they benefit from speaker breakup, equally? Or is speaker breakup meant to be used BEFORE the Cab Sim, anyway?

Thank you in advance, Kwinn from Germany
Listening to speaker breakup settings may be driving me a bit crazy. It sounds like the speaker breakup is on even when the cab and/or amp blocks are off. That was kind of a surprise, even with the warnings posted here that speaker breakup is on when the cab is off, but on when the amp is of as well? The speaker breakup us pretty subtle but I believe I can hear it even when the amp block is off (and reamping a louder signal though the Eleven Rack). Somebody tell me I'm imagining it.

So if I'm correctly hearing things you could work speaker breakup either way -

Eleven Rack with amp sim & speaker breakup (cab off) > Redwirez

and compare that to signals reamped twice using

Eleven Rack with amp sim & no breakup (cab off) > Redwires > Eleven Rack & speaker breakup (amp and cab off).

Given how subtle it is in the first place I'd be surprised if there is a noticeable difference.

Darryl