Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-02-2002, 05:45 PM

Default Consolidate hurts you r sound

`i just tested it ten times, and the conclusion is one - Consolidate does ruin the "Air" in the source.

Please test and prove me wrong!!!
Old 11-02-2002, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Consolidate hurts you r sound

If you're gonna do this kind of a test, do a blindfold one -- then see if there's a difference. If it's not done as a blindfold, there's just too much power of suggestion going on. Have someone else do the source switching for you. There was once a hi fi audio store that had coins for sale, that, if placed on top of your speakers, would make them sound better. People heard differences and many thought the speakers with the coins sounded better. Right...

I've never been able to detect any difference between consolidated and regular.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:43 PM

Do the phase reversal test. There is no difference between the original and consolodated files.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 11-02-2002, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Do the phase reversal test. There is no difference between the original and consolodated files.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would indorse the blindfold test. When I was testing lightpipe verses AES transfers the lightpipe totally phase canceled with the original signal, but I could hear the difference blindfolded, ten out of ten times.

sm
Old 11-02-2002, 10:24 PM

one thing i've noticed in consolidating is that on edits, even if there isn't a pop or click, they can show up in the consolidated file. THAT is freakin annoying. sometimes it's necessary to send the track through a buss and record it to another track...then of course you have to move the track forward 10 samples to compensate for the delay...sorry this is a little off the main topic, but it has to do with consolidation pet peeves.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:20 PM

I have yet to hear a difference? It
seems the proccess is just re writing
the bit code as a single string? Not
really an altering going on...

Maybe the Digi Angels will chime in?

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2002, 12:32 AM

They already have. They of course say that there is not a thing wrong with the consolodation function. And I have done the phase flop test also, and yes, no difference... Except for that annoying clicking sound that occurs periodically. I think it depends on whether you have crossfades. The clicking sound is however, very, very far down there. Perhaps -130 dBFS. Not too much to worry about, but it is something that should be addressed.

But come on people... Don't claim it ruins the "air" of the sound, thats just silly.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:34 AM

Can some please explain how you can hear something that is -130dBFs? That would put the level below 0 dBSPL, which by defitinition is below the threshold of sound. Even a dog wouldn't hear it.

Can someone also please explain how you can hear the difference between 2 sets of identical samples put through the same system in a reasonable test environment. If you do the phase canelation test and all the samples do cancel then the numerical values are identical, not close, not off by just a little but exactly the same. If you can here a difference between 2 identical signals then you will also be able to hear a difference between multiple playbacks of the same signal.

some of you guys either have really flawed tests or you are making this stuff up. -130dBFS?? I thought politicans were bad.

Steve
1-603-867-6843
Old 11-03-2002, 07:46 AM

The Clicks apear when you have a track with edits and you have not crossfaded them. While playing back the track is fine, because probably you have the "autoFade" Option in the Preferences on. However this option automaticly fades the regions during playback (or also during bounces for that matter) but NOT during the Consolidation Process. So you get a hard cut at every boundries of your regions. Even if there is not anymore Signal where your endings of the regions are, due to the noisefloor you will still get a very quiet Click. If there is Signal, it is much worse of course.

Hope this helps.

daniel
Old 11-03-2002, 09:05 AM

I have don the test to two guys that work with me with out them knowing witch is witch&with two different vocal tracks that were edit and consolidated one off the guys is the singer in both cases they could tell the difference and both reffering to it as if took off some off the air sorrunding the singer,so i would say this is a better test then blindfold test dont you think?