Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-24-2002, 11:30 PM

Default PowerBook-based HD rig details

I've put together a basic website that details my PowerBook-based portable HD system, if you want to know all the details.

I've been getting 64 tracks consistently, and its been very stable.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] here's the link:
http://homepage.mac.com/lars_fox/PTHDmain.html
Old 10-25-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Re: PowerBook-based HD rig details

Sweeeeeeeeet Rig!

Why did you opt for the non drive mounted bridgecard?

Powerbook rides in the passenger area of the plane with you?

If you were going to need mic preamps, would you get a PRE or something else?

No MIDI interface? (maybe and Oxygen8?)

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:36 AM

>Why did you opt for the non drive mounted bridgecard?

it was the only one that fit with 2 drives.

>Powerbook rides in the passenger area of the plane with you?

it does, but it could fit in the case if I needed it to.

>If you were going to need mic preamps, would you get a PRE or something else?

I've never even seen a PRE, but I'd like to hear it. Generally, I work in places with a good preamp setup. More than half of what I work on is fixing up tracks before they get mixed--tightening, tuning, etc, so I'm not tracking anything. Its all about editing.

if I was going to get a simple small preamp, I'd probably go with an API, with an eq.

>No MIDI interface? (maybe and Oxygen8?
)
I have an Oxygen 8--its great--but haven't needed it elsewhere yet. I'll probably just buy one if I'm away and need it, since they are so cheap!

cheers
Old 10-25-2002, 06:27 PM

I've actually just setup a portable HD3 in a 4 slot chasis. I just took it to Australia and it was brilliant. It hasn't crashed one time yet.

I travel with a singer/songwriter a lot (approx 55 fly dates/70+ bus dates a year) ...
we've started using ProTools Live, for multitrack playback, processing the lead vocal, processing InEars, reverbs, and delays (in which tempo is programmed in to every song). It's been absolutely brilliant with everything automated, consistent, high quality, and it reduces the backline and PA requests from venue to venue for the one off dates knowing what sound you're going to have and not having to check in as much gear...which I've done way too much.
Since some flights are only a couple hours before a concert, I want to carry on all essentials in case baggage doesn't make it...so in a roller carry on (max dimensions)..I have the 4 slot chasis, a external hard drive, mouse, Shure IEM PSM600 transmitter/reciever, sony 7509s, and essential cables.
In brief case(personal item), I have a Ti667, extra battery, MBox, and some EarMonitors.
Then the 192i/o is in a 2 space skb, and attaches to the rollercase, as the 2nd carry on for the both of us flying.

For demoing something in a hotel room or venue and getting a couple midi files out to a programer with a PT file and mp3 scratch vocal....The wireless InEar system works as a headphone amp as well. The wireless mic with reciever works for a mic/preamp solution...and then the singer can sing and listen in another room without wires.

For programing ourselves, we can use SoftSampleCell, Reason, and Virus with a small controller via USB or 2port MOTU interface (only the MOTU because off the road a MTP AV is used).

I use the laptop for everything, but I have ProTools, SSC, Reason, and Recycle on a seperate boot partition...this is partly so I can use the Mbox with ProTools LE and email stuff, etc. on the same computer...and I can edit in the plane or the hotel without setting up the system.

All this carried on has replaced bringing out a 8 space vocal/ear rack containing, two effects units, a Compressor, a multiband compressor, EQs, and a motu 828 interface. The only other hardware I continue to bring is the Shure IEMsystem, Shure U2 mic reciever, and Furman power strip.

The intentions of this system are also for the artist to record her next album on it as well. most vocals and background vocals can be done at her house in LA, band tracks in regular studios in LA and Nashville, and string tracks can be done on it whether they are in Ireland, London, or Nashville...all with being able to edit sessions at any time and without having to rent and reconfigure a system or depend on a place/area to have a HD system..in which we can concentrate on finding better sounding rooms/studios.

For live multitrack playback. I took older album tracks and submixed stems for live performance.The session ended up having over 80 tracks on multiple songs, all on two hard drives.

I can't believe how stable the system is and my big concern was the magma 32bit chasis introducing track count compromises, but I can't see that it has at all. When the system is in LA it can hook up to the Magma PCI card on the Mac desktop and patched in to it's normal setup.

It's a overkill of a system 2/3rds of the time and the other third it pays itself off by replacing rental costs and convenience in less than 6 months time.

Probably like Captain Crunch, I'm only posting this because when people like rtcstudio told me about their setup, it gave me the courage to risk both the time and money to set something up as well...and in the last few months there has been a lot of focus on portable rigs and a lot of people wanting one.

good luck to anyone trying...
Old 10-25-2002, 10:27 PM

Great info and a cool rig....thanks for sharing [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2002, 10:40 PM

Hey great info! How are you getting along with the small screen real estate? Any tips you could share?

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 10-26-2002, 09:04 PM

Screen space?

Actually the Ti has more area than a 15"
AND has a built in VGA output. I use a
second monitor with my portable rig; a
Samsung 17 inch. With the two there is
plenty of screen space.

The portable rig thing is very much for
real and very solid. I am thankful I
gave into the addiction to get a second
rig that can travel.

Rig Specs:

Ti 667/1 gig ram
Magma 2 slot
Mix Plus TDM
Apogee Trak2 (insane headphone amp & micpre)
Teac MCD-95 micro stereo (just like mini genies)
Custom Bags from undercoverNYC.com

Life will never be the same...

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]