Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2002, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation - Another Perspective

"in order to propagate a 1-sample delay through wire, you have to go through 2.8 MILES of wire."

Who remembers walking 2.8 miles for a camel?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wire we still here?

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-22-2002, 07:46 PM

I like to see this thread as a discussion-ground for issues like DC and for offering Digi some ideas for implementation. No offence, but I don't think that's flogging a dead horse. It's also good for some users to know how much of a priority this issue really is to Digi... i.e. when CAN we expect this feature? I think that's healthy.

As far as the actual value of perfect DC, I think anyone who's worked on a "newer model" SSL digital (WITH DC), or worked in a room with an time-correction box, can see a vast difference between time-smearing and delay compensation. I like to know that *some* quality of my material isn't going to change in a way I don't intend if I simply add a plug. Happy accidents are harder & harder to come by.

-C
Old 10-22-2002, 10:00 PM

ADC +
New sends while rolling
New tracks while rolling
New plug ins while rolling
New midi
OSX

Will make for a fantastic PT 6.0

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-23-2002, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slangification:
Wyn, I'm with you on your opinion about delay compensation, but at this point, hasn't this all been covered? I mean, between the three current/recent threads on the subject, and the responses from Digidesign, I think everything has pretty much been communicated both ways. You've entered 'flogging a dead horse' territory. Maybe time to back off them for a minute.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok fine. I guess I am crazy. If you think they have heard enough, perhaps you are right.

I wonder though. If some were to post a fictitious message here purporting to be an announcement for the release of a fully DC Pro Tools mixer, how many reads would it have in 24 hrs? I bet it would set a record.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:18 AM

Bob,

Thank you for responding. I am certain Digi’s development team is well equipped to assess the requirements of DC without any help from me. I am also certain Digi has a wealth of expert users they can draw on when and if there is a need for outside ideas or input. Of course I do offer anything Digi thinks would be helpful in bringing this issue into existence; please consider me an ally in this respect, (barring tying my hands behind my back, to keep me from typing anymore of these messages).

I understand Digi's reluctance to make any promises or predictions regarding successful implementation of this feature. Nevertheless, it is also important for Digi to remember that many people using their products are not doing so recreationally. We are working people who spend our hard earned dollars on these tools to make our livings. At this point in the evolution of Pro Tools the continuing and on-going investment by your customers means we have a vested interest in the future of this product. DC's time has come. I do not think anyone here expects Digi to hand over its decision making process to end-users. However, with respect to this issue alone, can there not be some discussion and inclusion by us of where DC stands? Are we close, years away? What are the outstanding issues? Do you feel discussing this in the open will tip too much of your hand in the marketplace? What?

Thank you again for your post to this thread.

Sincerely
Old 10-23-2002, 01:35 AM

Quote:
8 to 10 milliseconds in most systems
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">gasp! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

john, is suppose you are speaking of PT LE here !
TDM has much, much, lower hardware latency. (2 or 3 samples).

I would also like to thank Bob Langlie of Digidesign for a constructive answer to what I hope has been a constructive thread.
Mark
Old 10-23-2002, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Haliday:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> 8 to 10 milliseconds in most systems
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">gasp! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

john, is suppose you are speaking of PT LE here !
TDM has much, much, lower hardware latency. (2 or 3 samples).
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You don't mean samples.

I mis-spoke; I was thinking of somehting else when I said 8 - 10 millliseconds. Analog input to output (via A to D and subsequent D to A conversion) in my ProTools HD 192 interface is between 2 and 3 milliseconds, not samples. Delay between the input and 2-mix output in things like the Deva, Sony DMX-R100, etc. are all typically 2.5 milliseconds. Convertors demand this time to do their thing.

j mcd
Old 10-23-2002, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the answers DIGI. We hope this issue can be fixed in a near future so we all can smile and do some good music. Fidelis [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 10-26-2002, 10:01 PM

A river never argued that a bolder was
in its way to the ocean...

Print the plugs and align the
tracks visually...

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]