Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 PM

Default no sound in fast track pro rca outputs

hello

i'm trying to create a setup in protools to record impulse responses for altiverb.

this is my layout and assignments:

track 1/test tone loop for setting levels. assigned to 3&4 out.
once levels are set i mute the track.

track 2/sweep tone. assigned to 3&4 out.
track 2 plays and gets output to 3&4 out to a powered speaker.

at the same time the speaker output in the room gets recorded onto track 3
via a mic or 2 using inputs 1&2 from track 3 and output to 1&2.

i'm thinking that this arrangement will only record the sweep tone coming out of track 2 and not create a feedback loop since the mic output is not going through outputs 3&4.

the problem is - i can't get any sound out of the unbalanced rca outputs on the back of the fast track pro.

i can see the signal on the meters, but there is no output either using the stereo 3&4 output, or when i assign individual 3 or 4 outputs.

just out of curiosity i tried the same setup using motu digital performer as the daw and i still couldn't get anything from outputs 3&4 on the fast track pro.

am i doing something wrong or is there a known issue with the rca outputs on the fast track pro (usb)

thanks in advance

macbook pro 2.26 intel core 2 duo
4 gigs ram
os 10.5.8

fast tack pro usb

protools m powered 8.5
Old 04-13-2013, 12:35 AM

Default Re: no sound in fast track pro rca outputs

Hi,

Update!! Sorry didn't know the fastrack pro had 4 analogue outputs on RCA's. Those should be easily assignable in the hardware setup page? Analogue outputs 1-2 and 3-4 should be assignable to those outputs ok, then in the I/o setup page make sure there are 4 outputs created and assigned to those RCA's etc. the they should show and work in the track outputs.

.................................................. .........................................

Have you gene to the hardware setup page and assigned the RCA outputs to digital sp/dif then assigned outputs to the digital RCA's

What digital device are you connecting to the digital RCA outputs?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Update!! Sorry didn't know the fastrack pro had 4 analogue outputs on RCA's. Those should be easily assignable in the hardware setup page? Analogue outputs 1-2 and 3-4 should be assignable to those outputs ok, then in the I/o setup page make sure there are 4 outputs created and assigned to those RCA's etc. the they should show and work in the track outputs.

.................................................. .........................................

Have you gene to the hardware setup page and assigned the RCA outputs to digital sp/dif then assigned outputs to the digital RCA's

What digital device are you connecting to the digital RCA outputs?

Chris
hi chris

yes. 4 unbalanced outs (see attachment)

i have the tracks assigned as i need them and i get meter movement.
the test tone and sweep tone are assigned to outputs 3&4, as well as the master fader.

when i play either of those tracks back i see meter movement, but no sound. if i change them all over to outs 1&2 i get sound out.

the fast track pro sound control panel in the prefs has outputs 3&4 selected
as well.

i do not have anything connected to the s/pdif.

ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FTP rear panel.jpg (44.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM

i ran into the same problem using the fast track pro with motu dp 7 too.

i can get the signal and meters happening in outputs 3&4 in the daw software, but it doesn't pass the signal through the hardware outputs 3&4.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 PM

the fast track software control panel is ver 1.8.0

i see the newest one is 1.9.2 but i'm running os 10.5.8 so i'm wondering if i'm ok or should i update the drivers?

-------- i just updated the driver and firmware and still have the same problem
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 PM

problem solved -------

the #3&4 rca outputs on the back of the fast track pro usb only work in 16 bit mode.