Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Default PT11 - Midi Drum Issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having issues with my midi input from my alesis DM10X drum kit. My problem is that the kit, when run through xpand2 (drum kits) misses notes. If I hit 10 notes, say one every second, I might hear the first two, the fifth and the seventh eighth and ninth notes, but miss the rest(no set pattern)Nothing shows on the meters on those missed hits either. I am running direct through a USB 2.0 cable and input.
When I run through boom, the set/triggers seem to work fine. I also have a 25 key midi interface keyboard which works with both the boom and xpand2 fine.
I have talked to tech support at alesis and they have said that if it works in boom, then it must be the software, or something in Pro Tools. I have a new Asus AMD FX-8300 Eight core processor w/3.30 Ghz 12 GB Ram 64 bit with 2 terabytes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
B
Old 11-07-2013, 04:46 PM

Default Re: PT11 - Midi Drum Issues

You really ought to go to DMdrummer.com

I got my DM 10 pro kit last year well it retails for 1500 I only paid 650

And I automatically saw triggering issues that one would expect from a intermediate electronic drum kit

That being said if you upgrade the mylar heads to mesh heads you will see less of the false triggering - also you will have to go in and set up your kit and your crosstalk sensitivity as well as your head sensitivity

Takes some playing with but DM drummer.com has more resources and information to actually tweak and get the most out of your alesis kit

That being said I wish we could all afford a TD 30 kit - I mean it's only $7,000.00
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Thank you for your suggestion. I have also posted this question on that forum now. I am keeping this on the Pro Tools forum because I still do believe it is an issue with either Pro Tools or the Xpand2 program.
There is no false triggering, it is missing triggers hits. On my drum module it shows as getting a hit when ever I hit it, but at the same time the meter on Pro tools is only showing maybe half the hits. I have also tried changing USB chords/inputs and as I said Boom works fine with the same midi settings.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 AM

I have discovered the issue. Although it was verifying the hits on my DM10 module, the midi section of the module has its own gate which at default is set to off. Once I gave it a value of at least two, my issues were solved. Thank you everyone for your help.
B
Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 AM

BCoop, FWIW, While messing with my EZdrummer setup I noticed that my Yamaha DTX would miss every other hit when I set it to (hold) as opposed to (norm) where it picks up all the hits. Good Luck!