Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 11:55 AM

Default aurora 16 ad/da

has anyone checked out the aurora 16 by lynx? how does it compare to the 192 and apogee ad16x?

mp
Old 10-05-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Re: aurora 16 ad/da

I've got one with the HD expansion card. Works and sounds fanstastic, especially clocked with the Apogee Big Ben. Definitely a step up from the 192 (which I also have and will probably soon be selling to buy another Aurora 16), and I'd say on par with the Apogee 16X series. Highly recommended.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:59 AM

We're a dealer for Lynx and I personally installed one of the first Aurora 16's that ever shipped in a VO studio in NYC. I didn't get to spend that much time with it but got to hear it a bit and to me it sounded pretty good. Just last week I had a very long discussion with Paul (Lynx tech support) and after hearing all the details about the new LT-HD card I decided it was time to do a thorough listening test here in our facility.

Here are the results:

1. The LT-HD card is incredibly thought out and works like a charm with PT. It acts exactly as they say it does (mirroring a 192 i/o spot on, including latency times). The only issue I found is when duplicating outputs using the hardware setup or i/o screen (where you hold the cntrl key and it adds the + sign next to the outputs signifying that it is in fact sending the same signal out multiple outs). I discussed this with Paul and he confirmed it. They are already on the case.

2. Being a Prism dealer and knowing the quality and sound of the ADA-8 I can honestly say that the Aurora is the closest sound to the Prism I've come across. To be completely honest I had the Apogee AD/DA 16X with the X-HD cards here prior to the Aurora and for Rock and a "tape-like" gelling sound, I preferred the Apogee's color. However, Lynx tells you right from the start not to expect any color coming from the converters. They specifically say to expect a giant sound stage, incredible imaging, and great detail without imparting any color. The Aurora lives up to this claim 100%.

So, if you don't want any color in the conversion process, want a box that directly mirrors a 192 i/o (and sounds quite a bit better in my opinion, sorry digi, you know i love you), and provides 16x16 analog AND 16x16 digital all at the same time in a 1U rack space, I can wholeheartedly recommend this solution. It's impressive to say the least.

Anyone interested can feel free to give us a call or contact us via e-mail to further discuss. Since this is a Digi forum I will direct you only to our website where you can gather all our contact info.
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 10-07-2006, 05:29 PM

Yup.

I've been going back and fourth between the lynx and 192's for 2 months in a busy working enviornment. Essentially they do the same thing, but lynx does "it" better.

the 192's:
big
fan noise
practically require an external clock high maintenance (not automatic sample rate switching)
expensive
8 i/o per box

lynx:
1 rack space
no fan
great internal clock - I've removed my big ben from the chain as it's unnecessary except in the instance of running VSO
sound better - best description is in the (slew) rate in which the adc responds to the audio - like a ribbon vs. a 451 - this equates to clarity
16 i/o per box

I've recorded drums and multed the outputs from my front end to the 192 and the aurora - hands down the aurora clearly wins -remember - there's no fan noise...
Old 10-28-2006, 01:39 AM

I had the chance to try the Aurora 8,and i must add that the sound is superb
The LS/HD card was not available so i used it with a Nuendo system and an RME HDSP AES32 Pci Card
The only thing i noticed is the heat that the unit emmits,which is quite a bit..
And btw anybody tried the 1824 modification that Lynx provides as an option for the AD circuit?

Tia