Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Windows 10/Thunderbolt suddenly not recognizing Apollo 8p

Hi,

I've been running Pro Tools 12 with the Apollo 8p and a custom Windows PC. Motherboard is a Aeros Z27OX-Gaming 7. The Apollo is connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port via a Startech Thunderbolt 3/2 adapter.

Everything had been running fine. I turn on the Apollo, the cpu says "connecting Thunderbolt Device", launch Pro Tools, and off we go.

However, all of the sudden the computer doesn't seem to recognize the Apollo 8p in the Thunderbolt Port.

I've updated Windows, all drivers, downloaded latest firmware for the motherboard, uninstalled and reinstalled both the Thunderbolt Software and all UA software, power cycled, etc., and nothing seems to work.

BUT...it did work once, briefly. At some point, I told Thunderbolt to forget the Apollo device. Then, when I powered back on, it said "I see a new device", and then it was working. However, once I ended the session and powered down, it was the same problem all over again upon powering back up. Only this time, the same fix failed to work. When the device was recognized anew, the computer simply froze, and that's now happened multiple times.

Help?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Windows 10/Thunderbolt suddenly not recognizing Apollo 8p

Make sure thunderbolt firmware is up to date on motherboard. This update is often separate and additional to BIOS update. According to UA support notes, NVM firmware should be 15 or higher.

- Borg

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/214429386

@FoxMtnStudio
Old 05-21-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Windows 10/Thunderbolt suddenly not recognizing Apollo 8p

You can also check that Thunderbolt security is set to always allow in the BIOS. If not, you have to accept the device in Windows, which may be what you are doing when it works.

System Details