Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 AM

Default MC5 and Protools 8HD multi mic tracks

Hey all
  • The video editor of a project I did the production sound for sync'ed all my production tracks (boom and radio mics) to the rushes. I've seen the MC5 sequence and everything looks fine. I double checked as well and the alt mics are logged in the MC5.
  • While cutting the editor used the boom track.
  • He exported a couple of different AAFs to me and in none of the I could match the radio mics using the match track function.
  • In none of the two AAF exports did I get the alt mics in the sound files folder (I've been receiving the AAF separate from the audio tracks).
So:

Would anyone know if there is a specific export option, from MC5 to Protools 8HD that would allow me to match the radio mics?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Question Re: MC5 and Protools 8HD multi mic tracks

Are you trying to use the boom track in the AAF to relink to the radio mics that are not in the AAF? Have you read the sections in the Reference Guide on Matching Alternate Clips or Replace Clip operations?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Default Re: MC5 and Protools 8HD multi mic tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Are you trying to use the boom track in the AAF to relink to the radio mics that are not in the AAF?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Have you read the sections in the Reference Guide on Matching Alternate Clips or Replace Clip operations?
Yes. I have and also I have read the Field Recorder Workflows Guide V8.0

I am pasting a section from the latter which says:

"Alternate Source Audio in Bin Auto-Synced to Ed- ited Production Sound Mix The alternate source audio residing in the Avid Bin has been auto- synced to the edited production sound mix re- siding in the Avid Timeline.
When you import this type of sequence into Pro Tools, the edited video and edited produc- tion sound mix are available to import directly into the Timeline. The alternate source audio does not appear as separate tracks in the Import Session Data dialog, but will import directly into the Region List.
When exporting the edited production sound mix as a sequence, the Avid editor should make sure to also select all of the alternate source au- dio in the Bin.

When you import this type of sequence into Pro Tools, the edited video, edited production sound mix, and all alternate source audio will be available to import directly into the Timeline."

What am I missing here?
Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Question Re: MC5 and Protools 8HD multi mic tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
Field Recorder Workflows Guide V8.0

I am pasting a section from the latter which says:

"Alternate Source Audio in Bin Auto-Synced to Edited Production Sound Mix

The alternate source audio residing in the Avid Bin has been auto-synced to the edited production sound mix residing in the Avid Timeline.

When you import this type of sequence into Pro Tools, the edited video and edited production sound mix are available to import directly into the Timeline. The alternate source audio does not appear as separate tracks in the Import Session Data dialog, but will import directly into the Region List.
When exporting the edited production sound mix as a sequence, the Avid editor should make sure to also select all of the alternate source audio in the Bin.

When you import this type of sequence into Pro Tools, the edited video, edited production sound mix, and all alternate source audio will be available to import directly into the Timeline."

What am I missing here?
Did the Avid editor have the Alternate Source Audio in the Bin? When the Avid editor created the AAF, did the Avid editor make sure to also select all of the alternate source audio in the Bin?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 AM

I was around the process and the bin contained all the video rushes that had ALL the mic tracks sync'ed.

In other words the

"Alternate Source Audio"

was sync'ed in the highlighted video tracks.

But I think that the individual files themselves were not.

Is that it you reckon?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 AM

Lightbulb Re: MC5 and Protools 8HD multi mic tracks

Quote:
Is that it you reckon?
It could be. If the alternate source audio was not on any audio track in the Avid sequence, then the best you can expect from an AAF is for the alternate source audio to appear in the Region List. You would still have to spot it to your timeline (hopefully via timestamp).

Have the Avid editor sync the alternate source audio on audio tracks, create an AAF, and see what happens when you import that AAF into Pro Tools.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Hey Chief

Thanks for your feedback. You say:

"then the best you can expect from an AAF is for the alternate source audio to appear in the Region List. You would still have to spot it to your timeline (hopefully via timestamp)."

To be honest this has been my original query. As said the initial exports did not contain the alternate source audio hence, I am trying to figure our whether there is something particular in the MC5 AAF export setting that was not taken in to account.

"Have the Avid editor sync the alternate source audio on audio tracks, create an AAF, and see what happens when you import that AAF into Pro Tools."

I think I can tell you before-hand, by that geeky instinct that gets developed throughout the years and some audio common sense, that in that case the alternate source audio will appear in the PT timeline just fine (and subsequently in the regions list).

I am really sorry to say but the point to this posting is how to export avoiding having the editor doing this, of course if it that is at all possible and permitted by the software features.

Many thanks

Antonis Tsoukatos
Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Hey all
  • The video editor of a project I did the production sound for sync'ed all my production tracks (boom and radio mics) to the rushes. I've seen the MC5 sequence and everything looks fine. I double checked as well and the alt mics are logged in the MC5.
  • While cutting the editor used the boom track.
  • He exported a couple of different AAFs to me and in none of the I could match the radio mics using the match track function.
  • In none of the two AAF exports did I get the alt mics in the sound files folder (I've been receiving the AAF separate from the audio tracks).
So:

Would anyone know if there is a specific export option, from MC5 to Protools 8HD that would allow me to match the radio mics?

Thanks!
Have you set the "areas to search" correctly in PT? If yes what did you use as the match criteria and where did you point PT to under "areas to search"? Did you use a referenced AAF? If not, ask for one.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 08-04-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Arrow Re: MC5 and Protools 8HD multi mic tracks

Quote:
Hey Chief

Thanks for your feedback. You say:

"then the best you can expect from an AAF is for the alternate source audio to appear in the Region List. You would still have to spot it to your timeline (hopefully via timestamp)."

To be honest this has been my original query. As said the initial exports did not contain the alternate source audio hence, I am trying to figure our whether there is something particular in the MC5 AAF export setting that was not taken in to account.
My apologies for getting stuck in an endless loop here. I see no mention in the Symphony v6 guide about exporting an AAF and including media that is in a bin and not used in the sequence being exported.

You will have to get the audio files from the Avid editor somehow (Finder copy?) and then use match criteria in Pro Tools to see if you can conform these audio files based upon what you have in the AAF.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Have you set the "areas to search" correctly in PT? If yes what did you use as the match criteria and where did you point PT to under "areas to search"?
Hey Frank,

Cheers for the input. As per initial postWell, I cross checked with the editor's files and none of the alternate source audio tracks made it to my Audio Files folder.

I can't remember the match criteria now but just take my word for it. Alt source not in the Audio files folder and subsequently not in the regions list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Did you use a referenced AAF? If not, ask for one.
Simply, this is what I am asking for here; Just in case I need to explain myself, would you know how to make referenced AAF, Frank?