Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Default Re: OMNI-2 HDX = new thunderbolt device with on board HDX

Actually, the Sonnet device description is confusing. It says 2 slots, but then in the other description it mentions using one card. The larger one is for full length cards, but it seems to be the same width.

I wish they would release more details.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Actually, the Sonnet device description is confusing. It says 2 slots, but then in the other description it mentions using one card. The larger one is for full length cards, but it seems to be the same width.

I wish they would release more details.
They will have a 1 card and a 2 card option.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 PM

Cool. I hope the prices are reasonable. The 3 slot Magma is just under $1000. Hopefully this 1 slot will be a third of that.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Much, much higher. All iMacs and MacBooks have Thunderbolt, and school just started. There are thousands and thousands of students with Pro Tools 9 on their laptops with an unused Thunderbolt port.

My guess is that the only reason Avid hasn't announced a Thunderbolt product is because the Mac Pro's were delayed until next year.
I seem to remember on the chat on the Debut day after the AES Webcast, that they were NOT supporting Thunderbolt, or just said that for now.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Of course we can stick HD|N or HDX in an external box........

I thought we were playing what if though...........

What if there were a magic box with
TB
8 analog ins
2 mic pres
8X8 ADAT
Power of an OLD HD1 on board for minimal plugs and HD|HDX latency performance
Monitor section like OMNI
A cool wireless remote
And only cost $3K......... even $4K!!

No $3.5K PCIe card + $1K TB box......
No $8K HDX card + $1K TB box
It's almost 2012....... Just No stinkin cards....... as in "we don't need no stinkin badges!"......
Rock the imac....... laptop........ heck..... mac mini!
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM

according to the Magma site:

Compatibility Information - as of Oct 13, 2011
MacOS

The PCIe card(s) require a “Thunderbolt Compatible” driver and MacOS version 10.6.7 or newer. Our engineering and development team is working with 3rd Party Partners like Apple, Intel, Avid, AJA, Red, ATTO and Fusion-io and plan to provide a list of with compatible PCIe cards. If you are a PCIe card developer and interested in making your PCIe card compatible with Thunderbolt, please contact Magma direclty so we can work together to establish compatibility.

This puts the onus on Avid to develop TB drivers and not Apple. This is pretty risky.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM

thanks for the course correction propower

seems the thread had disintegrated into another expansion box diatribe and a magma-esque box solution is just another magma-esque box solution regardless of the interface cable or manufacturer...

you hit the nail on the head = the gist of the topic was about a ramped up OMNI with the equivalent AVID PCIe card features built right in.

That is the (dream) prophecy

:)