Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Need some advice!

I am fairly new to protools, and I am a bit stuck! Here is my problem: I am recording my friend, and it comes to a point in his verse where he runs out of breath. I then told him to rap up until the point where he feels as if he is going to run out of breath and stop. At that point, I can then perform "punch recording", but that is where my problems start! I pretty much know how to set it up and everything, but for some reason, I can't get a smooth punch in. I set the pre roll so that he can hear is verse up until the point of punch in, but that is where I get a headache, because it will start recording as planned but there is a noticable transition, once you go to play it back! Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks!

---------------
Powewr Mac G4 (dp)
1.25ghz
Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.2
Protools 6.9
Digi oo2r
Old 08-10-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Need some advice!

Well ur gonna have to do a little editing... its hard to explain without literally being able to show you. first of all, does the transition sound unnatural or is it just that there is a noticeable pop or click when the punch happens? if it sounds unnatural try having him rap along with himself just before the punch in occurs (he doesnt have to do the whole thing). if the problem is that there is a click or pop or something along those lines, you will have to experiment with various edits to see which will work best. i usually use the trim tool, the selector tool and grabber to edit with... usually i attempt some type of a crossfade, but most of the time it can be done without it and sounds better that way. someone else i am sure will give you a more clear answer, but that is what i can offer.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Need some advice!

Also, make sure his mic distance/voice level are pretty even:
He may be getting quieter as he runs out of breath and then
starting again louder when you restart.

And yes, try getting him to rap along leading up to the punch in.