Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 PM

Default Elastic Audio Questions

I have started using elastic audio to fix some drums and it is truly amazing!
I have a few question that hopefully you guys can help me with.

1. What are the major difference between rhythmic and poly?
2. The rhythmic plug works great but it keeps making the cymbals and toms sound messed up. How can I fix that?
3. The poly plug seems to work better with the cymbals and toms do you recommend using that on the drums?
4. would it sound ok if I use the rhythmic plug on the close mics and poly on the overheads?
5. will it sound great if I use the auto functions or will it sound better if I place markers my self or do some of the other techniques I have read on this forum? if not what do you recommend?
6. have you ever tried it on rap vox? if sound did it work well?
7. what would be the drawbacks if any to using poly on drums?
8. have you found any cool tricks or effects using EA?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any advice!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio Questions

Sorry I forgot this:

9. When should I use ticks, when should I use samples?
Old 04-05-2008, 03:04 AM

Hi Steveooo,

1. What are the major difference between rhythmic and poly? RTFM
2. The rhythmic plug works great but it keeps making the cymbals and toms sound messed up. How can I fix that? RTFM
3. The poly plug seems to work better with the cymbals and toms do you recommend using that on the drums? yeah,if it sounds good
4. would it sound ok if I use the rhythmic plug on the close mics and poly on the overheads? Sure, if it sounds good
5. will it sound great if I use the auto functions or will it sound better if I place markers my self or do some of the other techniques I have read on this forum? if not what do you recommend? I recommend you try it and judge yourself
6. have you ever tried it on rap vox? if sound did it work well? yeah, you can scoot around a few words that were off timing
7. what would be the drawbacks if any to using poly on drums? if it would sound weird
8. have you found any cool tricks or effects using EA? Watch the free elastic audio tutorial on digi's website
9. When should I use ticks, when should I use samples? RTFM

I aint trying to be rude here - but I find it kind of disturbing that you have not even taken ONE glance at the elastic audio chapter in the PT manual.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM

I read the whole thing actually.... Besides the first question they were not addressed at all.

So you are trying to say that they disscuss "cymbals and toms" in the manual?

they dont discuss multi tracked drums even once in the manual.

And thats you not trying to be rude?
I dont mean to be rude but if you dont have anything positive to say then stfu...
Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 AM

Steve-O,

try to look at my answers. I did answer those not being addressed in the Manual.

You claim that you read the manual - if so - then there are two options at hand:

1) You did not understand what it said (Reading dont mean understanding)
2) You cant read for Sh**

Telling someone to "Shut the Fuc* Up" when he is actually taking the time to answer your questions, is a pretty inpolite, rude and proletarian way of dealing with captivated frustration.

Good Luck - Steve-O - with your reading skills - you're surely going to rely on it.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Sorry but "read the f@#king manual" is hardly a productive answer. You answered at least 5 of the unanswered questions with that and the others with equally unhelpful answers. There was 1 real answer and thank you for that.

I know I can use something if it sounds good but what I was asking is, is there something I am missing like: slight phase problems, subtle smearing of transients, is there are huge advantage to using rhythmic etc. Yes I know I can go thru days of testing but I prefer to work. I thought the point of the DUC was to discuss questions and problems with other users. The amount of time you have already spent not answering the questions you could have done me and any other user with these questions a big favor and answered them.

I have searched both the manual and the DUC and while I have found references to the problem with elastic audio and cymbals I have not found an answer. I will ask you again do they mention multi tracked drums in the manual?
The digidesign videos that you kindly pointed me to while they mention that fact that the next video will help users learn to deal with elastic audio and multi mic'ed drums has yet to materialize. Then take into account that there are hundreds of postings on the DUC about users having trouble with elastic audio and drum tracks I find it hard to believe that my reading skills are the problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 AM

You might consider not using EA on every part of a drum kit... like cymbals.

If crashes are that off, move them manually or get a better drummer...

Same thing with rap vocals... if the rapper isn't able to groove, applying EA might make him sound mechanical... like over using Autotune.

Don't over use EA... sparingly use whatever mode works best for any particular part.

web page