Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-20-2006, 06:57 PM

Default ARRGGHH!!! IM PULLIN MY HAIR OUT.HELP ME PLEASE!!

I have been trying and searching and looking for a solution to my problem....but no luck. I have purchased the MBox 2 system with the hopes of giving my clients the ultimate in studio to studio flexibility, and for some strange reason the midi ports dont work. Specifically, the midi out port. Further more, I cant seem to register my hardware on the Digidesign Site. Ive registered my ignition pack and PTLE 7.o software, but no luck with the hardware. Excuse me for the long post, but I expected a flawless product when I bought this system. Anyway here is my setup:

Windows XP SP2

Gateway M675 Laptop

Pentium 4 HT 3.00ghz

512 mb ram

MBox 2 Hardware

Pro Tools LE 7.0

Dynaudio Nearfield Monitors

Korg Trinity Rack Module

M-Audio Radium 49(which by the way would have been an alternative midi out if it worked properly)

I would really appreciate some help in this matter as I am now begining to get behind in my work .

p.s. Apparently this is a hardware issue. The minute the MBox 2 System is powered and I power up my Trinity rack module,(before windows has even started), the Trinity freezes until I pull out the MIDI OUT cable from the MBox2. Just to be sure that it was'nt the Trinity that was having a problem, I hook up the Midi Out(not the problematic usb out) from the Radium 49, and it triggered the module just fine. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: ARRGGHH!!! IM PULLIN MY HAIR OUT

Quote:
.s. Apparently this is a hardware issue. The minute the MBox 2 System is powered and I power up my Trinity rack module,(before windows has even started), the Trinity freezes until I pull out the MIDI OUT cable from the MBox2. Just to be sure that it was'nt the Trinity that was having a problem, I hook up the Midi Out(not the problematic usb out) from the Radium 49, and it triggered the module just fine. Thanks in advance.
my immediate thought, hook up cables with everything off, how are you wanting to run everything? the most flexible, radium usb to computer, i have this unit and use the usb midi all the time, midi out on mbox to midi in of triton, midi in on mbox to midi out on triton. midi gear on first, this case the triton, then computer and mbox.

you said you turm on mbox before computer? the mbox is usb powered isnt it?? you sayin computer does not need to be on for the mbox to be on???? also might need a POWERED usb hub to push your mbox and the radium power off of.

also check, control panel-sounds and audio devices-audio- and make sure the digi or radium is not the midi playback choice.

those are my first thoughts i would check on.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-21-2006, 03:42 PM

hey, thanks for the reply, unfortunatley, all those things were my first thoughts also, but when i hit the power button on my ac powered laptop, the computer starts to power all usb peripherals, including MBOX;

it starts there that the midi out is transmitting something that causes my trinity to just freeze, if i power off the laptop or pull the midi out cable free, the trinity unfreezes and begins to do program changes up the wazoo and then stop.

So i know its not a windows issue as all this is happening before the windows splash screen even pops up, but after i power the computer.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:54 PM

1. Have you installed the driver into Xp for your Radium? You can get it at the M-audio website.

2. After installing the driver and hooking the Radium by USB, has the Radium been "found" by your computer? You would have seen the Windows " has found new hardware" window.

3. Does your keyboard have a dedicated midi thru? Or is there an option to toggle the midi out between out and thru? Or is there an option in it somewhere to pass incoming midi thru the out. If so, you want it just "out". Any thru's will create a midi loop and cause lockups.

4. I haven't used a Mbox 2. Does it have a dedicated thru port or is there a setting for that on it? Again if it exists, you want it "out", not thru.

If none of these are the solution to any of your problems, at least answer these and we can start to narrow things down.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:50 PM

My Radium 49 works fine as a midi in controller(latest driver and all), however, using the Radium 49 USB midi out option(as opposed to the Radium 49 stand alone keyboard out option), isnt very reliable.(dropouts, stuck notes, arrgghh!)

That being said, my problem isnt with the, soon replaced radium controller, it is with the midi out function of the MBOX 2, it is simply not functioning right, thanks any way tho.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:51 PM

My Radium 49 works fine as a midi in controller(latest driver and all), however, using the Radium 49 USB midi out option(as opposed to the Radium 49 stand alone keyboard out option, which works fine), isnt very reliable.(dropouts, stuck notes, arrgghh!)

That being said, my problem isnt with the, soon replaced radium controller, it is with the midi out function of the MBOX 2, it is simply not functioning right, thanks any way tho.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: ARRGGHH!!! IM PULLIN MY HAIR OUT.HELP ME PLEASE!!

hey,I could'nt register my h-ware either,so I just called 'em up,gave them the info over the phone
and they did it for me.the # is somewhere on this website.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
hey,I could'nt register my h-ware either,so I just called 'em up,gave them the info over the phone
and they did it for me.the # is somewhere on this website.
oh, ok, i dont know why i didnt think of that. Ive only had it now for three weeks, and ive just relocated to atlanta georgia, so settling in perhaps has been my focus rather...than...calling... tech support.......hmmmm!!!. doh!

!!thanks for the reply!!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:46 AM

apparantly im the only one that is having this problem?

Can someone offer any advice?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 PM

do you have any other pieces of midi gear?? anyone you know (you said you just moved) that might have a piece of gear to try?? (possibly another mbox as well)i would try hooking something else up to the midi port and see what happens. gotta start eliminating stuff. i am not sure what midi input settings this korg has. have you tried sending it midi from your radium into pro tools or reason to korg and see if it comes out of its situation? everything else with the mbox is working?? you checked you under control panel- sounds audio devices.... and make sure windows is not linked to the midi port??seems like something like this to me, just some more ideas...

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10