Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2002, 03:20 PM

Default Separating songs

If I have, say 4 songs in a row in one project, how would I move one song into it's own file without bringing any unused audio with it. Would I just highlight all of song 3 (or whatever) and save session copy in another location. I'm thinking I should have started a new file for each song but it's too late for that now.
What I'm wanting to do is separate all the songs so I can save each song's files to it's own cd for storage.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Separating songs

you have to bring ALL of it in to the new folder first...open up the session and then delete unused audio, that way you don't delete files you actually need. I have done that before. It's not a good thing to tell a singer that you erased all of her tracks and can she come over and sing the perfect take again.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:31 PM

I've already deleted unused files but there's still a lot there. So it sounds like there's no way to break it up then? What I've got is basically a full album in one project file. I guess I'll have to save it over a whole bunch of cd's and then if I want to remix one track later on I'll have to load up all the disks, and remix the one track?
Oh well, live and learn I guess.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:33 PM

...or are you saying copy all the tracks over to another file, delete all the songs but one, save the files to cd and then do it all over again for the other tracks?
Old 05-06-2002, 03:47 PM

It may take some time depending on your session, but you should load the original project, then consolidate all regions on each track so that you have 4 regions for each track (1 for each song). Then save the session, you can choose a new session name if you wanted. After you save the session delete all the regions not included in the song "Song No. 1" you wish to create a new session for. Once you do this, do a "save as" with the copy files option enabled. Save it to a new folder "Song No. 1" or whatever. Repeat this for each song using the session you saved initially. I've never done this, but I think this will do what you want.

Hope this is what you asked. After doing what I have described above, I'll bet you'll never record this way again. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Shawn
Old 05-06-2002, 06:51 PM

you might already have tried this but if you haven´t, here it goes...

you want to ¨save session copy in¨ first, including all the songs and work from the copy.

-select and ¨remove¨ from session all the other songs.

-select unused¨ then ¨clear selected¨
now ¨select all¨ and ¨compact selected¨, this will get rid of all the extra bits that are not ¨playing¨ , so basically it edits the regions for you. It will ask you how much ¨padding¨you want to leave(to re-do crossfades and small edits)

good luck

jorge

www.abacomusic.com
Old 05-07-2002, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of the Compact function. That should help. Does that mean that if I selected part of a guitar track where there is a moment of silence and delete that part, it's really still there until I compact the track? Would that affect the fade I had already put on the track where the guitar part actually starts?
Old 05-07-2002, 01:32 PM

yeah, if you just clear a part, it is really still there (the whole sound file)When you use the compact command you`re really creating new sound files from the bits that are actually used (playing back)

like I said, it will ask you how much extra ¨padding¨ you wish to leave in case you want to re-do a crossfade or small edit.

It will not affect anything you leave the same.

did that make sense? hope so

jorge

www.abacomusic.com
Old 05-07-2002, 01:51 PM

I think I got it. The sound files visible on the edit screen will stay, everything else will be deleted.
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2002, 01:58 PM

what about track transfer? create new playlists for each track in each song. then delete unused regions in each playlist manually. create a new session, then do an import and browse to the session you want to copy from then select the playlists you ant to import. since the playlists will only have regions from say.. song 1, that is all that will come in. no copying audio files needed. all the audio files are in one folder and all your sessions can be in the same folder as the other sessions. delete or keep your original when your done. this is the best way to delete corrupted sessions without deleting tracks.