Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Default Advice? CPU usage errors on my Mix+ 5.1.1, Mac Os9

Hi, I'm running PT 5.1.1 on my Mac G4 Quicksilver (OS 9.2.2), and lately have been getting CPU usage errors which turn into error #11 crashes. The popup before the crash sez I need to reduce my rtas instances (I have none running), increase my CPU usage in the hardware setup (I've maxed this to 85%), or thin out automation (so I did, completely), but I'm still getting these crashes constantly now. It also mentions having the right drivers for my hard drives, but I'm using firewire (not scsi), so I don't think this applies? I copied my session and audio to another hard drive to eliminate the possibility that it's a HD issue, but it still crashes. I haven't done anything different, or messed with other settings, or added other software. Any advice? Thanks in advance for any help, I'm really stuck, and have sessions to work on!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Advice? CPU usage errors on my Mix+ 5.1.1, Mac Os9

Hey there -
If I remember right, error -11 is a Color Manager error from OS9 - posted by DAE. I would contact Digi Support out here and the can guide you.

Good Luck
Old 12-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks much for your reply. So you think this is a Mac issue rather than a Pro Tools one? I searched the Avid database but couldn't find anything. I don't think Avid supports these old legacy systems anymore, should I still try to find someone there that might be able to help? Thanks again for any advice!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Some basic TS suggestions.

PRAM Zap to free up memory on the Mac where rebooting may not. Command, Option, P, R (hold for three startup chimes)... it'll free up memory (even if you reboot those older macs it the memory is not restored) haven't tried this suite yet.

You are not instantiating RTAS plugins and bypassing them by any chance? (no, to obvious).

A utility called Maxfixit in a library called Fix heap. According to MacDaddy, this sometimes works where os purge will not. (search over a Tucows)...

Quicksilver can't handle drives larger than 128 gig on the onboard IDE controller. Only the last Mirrored door had the controller upgraded... running System drives larger than this off the IDE controller can cause weird problems that are intermittent.

Another cause of intermittent errors is overclocking CPU. Remember these systems used LVD SCSI for audio drives. So even disabling a Firewire init saves CPU horsepower. Does digitest see all your cards and tests aok?

Anyway can post your DAW 'vanilla' extension set? Do you have a dual CPU with one CPU disabled or an 867 single. How much ram? Some less expensive memory is the refresh rate is set upon bootup in rom, so mixing refresh rates can cause weird intermittent errors.

PTs 5.xx as you know can only handle 256 colors and that Quicksilver stock AGP card, nothing larger than a 20 inch monitor. Basically, when the 22" Apple Flatscreen came out a warning was posted by APPLE re the Quicksilver not able to run their new Wide Flatscreen (at the time).

Are your resolutions and redraw frequencies the same, 256 colors? Have you swapped Dimm pairs? (sorry this is three slot triple not duals) or made any hardware changes without P RAM reset?

SVGA cables have improved shielding over VGA for increased distance, has anything changed in building, placement of DAW, AC run closer or further from fuse box, etc?

Any zip disks or possible infection by MBDFa/b virus? Are u running DP?

Quicksilver's didn't come with a hardware test disk.

If you change order of PCI slots or monitors, boot into Open Firmware,

boot holding command,option,o,f when command prompt appears: type

reset-nvram (enter)
set-defaults (enter)
reset-all (enter) let it reboot then adjust date and time. Enter or Shift key for Open Firmware terminal.

There are many other tests you can run in open firmware if you search the commands.
http://www.dialectronics.com/Words/OF_Part_II.shtml

How in the world did you get the monitor resolution to change if you didn't have the original 6 CD set? Or lower, upper eject apps?

Also Panther or Tiger installs have been known to damage DIMMs beyond repair. This is a known problem with the installers and some DIMMS (not certain if related to rom set refresh rate upon first boot or refresh rate already preset like Crucial Memory for that particular G-4 (a Tiger install killed my B&W G-3. It did something to firmware and despite months searching out fixes in OF it was a no go). Also some card (SCSI) have been damaged by those installers... the 001 it'll mess with the DSP chip (sometimes digitest can't fix it, only DP 2.7.2) greyed out S/PDIF mirroring/optical set to Toslink (greyed out). Only DP running MAE seems to repair this. Digitest crashes repeatedly.

Tests you can run when booting into Open Firmware (New World Macs only)

Dual Monitors: Keep frequencies same, resolution same, 256 colors only.

Does anyone recall the work around for the Dverb memory leak? (edit) Ok. I remember now, that is an automation bug. Running Pro Tools for a long period, reboot with PRAM reset or the utility listed above to reset the memory usage back to normal (System Profiler will show a larger amount of memory the longer you run Pro Tools).

www.granitedigital.com (1394 dual ferrite beads pro cables) www.kimber.com (USB dual ferrite beaded cables) consider purchasing clamp on ferrite beads for keyboard, trackball, etc. All should have ferrite beads (SVGA cables are much better shielded with same pin out as VGA)