Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 PM

Default reason rewire midi not playing first note in pt10

i know this sounds like a midi 101 type fix, but for some reason when i opened a session in pt10 that came from pt8, the very first note is muffed off of midi trying to play from the sequencer in reason where there was midi recorded. it's the first note of the entire song and i know it was there playing fine in pt8. i checked to make sure somehow a gremlin didn't sneak in to the studio and move the note, but it was lined up fine and it plays for a millisecond before getting muffed and then it stops until it plays again on the next bar. there are actually three notes that should be playing(not playing) due to the fact that it's a chord, but they still show up there. i came from pt8 to pt 10 so i wouldn't know if this was ever an issue before with 9, but it never happened in pt8. i don't know if the sync is somehow off or if it's some pref i haven't set back to where it was yet. anyone else rewire reason? ever happen? can you test a session if so or tell me what i overlooked? thanks btw, i know that if a note is slightly early it won't play, but they're not early. if i move them slightly later they play. so it seems like a typical note played too early issue, but it played back on the first press of play in pt8. also, the first opening of reason via rewire crashed pro tools 10 and reason. also reason had trouble finding the 003 and avid coreaudio the first few times i launched reason as a stand alone. no problems since, but i haven't tried too much more yet. the crashing seemed like the usual getting to know each other type thing that happens from time to time. reason is usually the most stable rewire device in my system though. as far as crashes and functionality. so what's up with my midi issue though? i don't want to nudge what i know will be off time and was already played/programmed fine. i could, but that's a workaround not a fix.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Default Re: reason rewire midi not playing first note in pt10

bump. it played in pt8. anyone? i can import the midi or make it play late, but i'd rather it work like usual instead of changing the song. anyone having that issue or use rewire with reason?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM

it's happening on the first midi notes from the reason rewire in the the other rewired reason sessions i just opened too. does anyone have an idea? i'm using reason 5 rewired through pt10 and the sessions were playing the first notes fine in pt8. they start scrolling fine and look fine and the notes have been played fine and not too early. if i move the midi note later for example to 1.1.1.5 as opposed to 1.1.1.1. then i can get the note to play, but it's technically late then. i need everything to start together. as it should.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 AM

bump. on every rewired reason 5 session it's happening every time. occasionally i get the note to play, but it ussaully sound like a muffed note or nothing.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:11 AM

I'm over here in Windows Land, but having the same issue, not sure why.
Just the first 3 count of the song doesn't come through, and if it does it's a plonky sounding version of the Rhodes it's supposed to be. No solution yet aside from just moving the thing over, but it's definitely a real bug and you're not alone. Let's try pushing it through to whatever remains of AVID customer support.

Oh, and a few specifics - I'm running Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7 64 Ultimate with Reason 6 as the slave. Cross graded from 8. And this happens even with new sessions, I think it's something where the startup in Reason lags when ProTools sends the transport the 'go' command.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 AM

Hey brandon, I'm on osx 10.6.8 running pro tools 10 crossgraded from pro tools 8. So it sounds like it is a bug. By now I feel like I've adjusted every possible parameter get it working. I was going to "save as" a reason session that only had one instrument playing and export the midi to pt10 as a way to keep my original reason song too while we wait for a fix. That is just a temporary work around until a solution is sent our way. How do I disable the reason sequencer playback so as to use reason only as the hardware rack? There used to be a small "play" led you could toggle in the older reason versions to make the sequencer play. I hadn't used it for so long that it has been moved from that area of the user interface in the newer versions. I think AVID support seems to be responding to the problems they know they can resolve first. I hope someone is making a note of this and adding it to the list of bugs. We need this fixed asap. I'm going to rewire ableton today to see if it's a issue with reason or with rewire. My reason version is the exact same version 5 I had working before the pt10 upgrade.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 AM

To bump this.

What could be happening is rewire sync delay, the immediate note on event not sounding the envelope of the MIDI event, and why they sound odd?

With S/MPTE to tape we had this problem and always used a bar for nothing before the countoff at 00.00.00.00, and started playback for editing after the song began a bar early.

Reason is MIDI note following, so if you start a midi event after the note on event triggers, it will try to play note but leave out the initial envelope?

If you turned off MIDI note following in Reason you should not hear odd sounding synth tones, just no sound at all until the sync up. I haven't used the latest version of Reason, but with DP and/or Vision, midi note following was useful for pads to sustain if you began sequence playback prior to the pad's actual note on event(s) as in a chord.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 AM

it really feels like the smpte days right now. when it happened at first i of thought that too. i can get it working if i place every clip from pt and reason at bar 3 and start the playback at 2/4/950 which reads out at 2.4.4.230 on reason (the numbers have always matched btw) anything closer to bar 3 and the first notes have a higher percentage of not playing. this only happens on the first bar of the start of every song. it wont happen for example, at bar 69 when a new midi section is introduced. so it is just a little bit off. obviously, i could do this with every single song rewired through reason, but i'm fairly sure no one wants to do that or use a workaround for something that should be working correctly. plus i don't want every new rewired reason session i create to have to start on an off bar only to get a fix for this and have to nudge everything back to bar 1 later. i have one song that need to be bounced soon to be moved into another session so i'll have to bounce, delete the same amount of preroll off the bounce in the new pt session and have faith that it is mathematically in sync. either that or move the midi from every track in reason into a pro tools track and assign the output to the corresponding reason instrument. sounds way easier to have working like it did it pro tools 8. with all of the features of pro tools 10. wait... that is supposed to be pro tools 10... any advise avid? i'd really appreciate any tips. thanks. seems like a sync issue to me.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM

I've seen this before - usually lowering the buffer size will fix it.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM

i've tried every buffer setting and gone through so many variations of troubleshooting. i've never seen anything like this before and i have had reason since version 1. and pt since ver 3.x Thanks for the input rtfm (nice name/good advise always) i just tried ableton rewired from an old session and it worked like a charm. does anyone have reason rewired and it's playing back with no problems? or is this happening with every single rewired reason owner? no one is reporting anything on reason threads or on google period. not that i could find yet, so maybe most reason owners haven't tried rewiring in pt10 yet or don't? redrum has a lower percentage of missing the first note than played notes, but not by much. a new observation i had was that after i left the first 4 bars looping for a while, the missing notes kicked on to my surprise on the"1" and once engaged they kept looping with the loop until i stopped it. then back to the usual failure. if anyone has both copies can you try to rewire and report back at your convenience? thanks again.