Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 AM

Default Eucon 3.2.1 not working, but 3.1.3 is fine?

Hey guys,

I've been trying to upgrade to the latest Eucon but to no avail.
I keep getting the message that (paraphrasing due to rollback) 'no network could be found/accessed', despite it all working fine the moment I roll back and to a 3.1.3 installation.
So, bottom line, I know my configuration works and has been working, and upgrading to 3.2 and beyond breaks it.

I'd be happy to stay at 3.1.3 were it not that autobanking seems to have stopped working alltogether in Nuendo 6.5.

I've tried turning anti-virus/firewalls off but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Whatever Eucon 3.2 is doing differently makes it not work on my machine....any ideas?

Windows 7 x64 latest SP's, Nuendo 6.5, Intel Hexacore i7 with 32gb of ram, asus x79 sabertooth mobo, Avid/Euphonix MC Control V1 (set to DHCP), Fireface 800
Old 12-05-2014, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Eucon 3.2.1 not working, but 3.1.3 is fine?

Not working here either. Same error message. On Windows 8.1.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Hey Guys

We had the same issuesafter updating from 3.1.3 but were fixed after a phone call with the awesome Kyle Splittgerber we got it working and He made this kb.

We bad the same setup as we had with EuCon 3.0 and onwards but after update to 3.2 and 3.2.1 the way we had it setup with WiFi it didn't connect anylonger but now we are up and running more stable than ever

This is the fix:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...onger-connects

See if that helps you too
Best of luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-06-2014, 06:44 PM

I now have it working! Funny that going from 3.1.3 to 3.2.1 would require any changes in settings, but all is good now.

For anyone else who may stumble upon this, what worked for me on Windows 8.1:

* The Knowledge Base article Chris/Southsidemusic provided (thanks!)
*This Knowledge Base article about setting a static IP address http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...671?popup=true
* Chapter 8 (Setting IP Addresses) in the Artist Control User Guide (installed with Eucon) on changing the IP address on the hardware unit and incrementing the final number of the IP address on the unit as described in asterisk 2.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:22 AM

Somehow my computer is on OS X 10.9.5 - oops.
Everything was working then I upgraded to Pro Tools 11.2.2 and EUControl 3.2.1 and EUControl can no longer see my Artist Mix.
I think I was previously using PT 11.2.1 and EUControl 3.1.3.
When I go back to 3.1.3, EUControl connects, but PT 11.2.2 won't work with it.

I think my network setup combined with the new network select in the System Preferences - EUCON Preferences might be causing a problem.
I use link aggregation to get faster networking. I have a network Bond called "LAG" which is my network connection from my Mac. In the 3.2 preferences you have to choose your network, and the only one available is "Ethernet 1", which is a member along with Ethernet 2 of my "LAG" bond.

I do see the same thing in the System Preferences - EUCON preferences for 3.1.3, but it connects.

Can the programmers please check if this is a problem so I can start using the latest versions?
Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Avid

Hey John,

Please try disabling link aggregation. We don't support it, so that could be the issue. Once disabled, go to System Prefs>EUCON and choose Ethernet 1 (or whichever port is connected to your Artist Mix). Then with EuControl 3.2.1 launched, click on "E" menu at the the top of your screen and choose "Restart EUCON Applications...". Hopefully, once EuControl restarts your Artist Mix will show up.
Berkeley, CA
Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hey John,

Please try disabling link aggregation. We don't support it, so that could be the issue...
Hi Kyle, I'm a very similar situation as John King. EuControl v3.1.3 runs like a champ, but v3.2.x fails to find my MC Control and MC Mix's.

The Ethernet ports on my MacPro4,1 (OS 10.9.5) are link aggregated. In addition, to the network bond, my Mac is running a VLAN interface that is dedicated for EUCON. The MC Control and MC Mix's are connected to a layer 2 network switch and their Ethernet ports are tagged to the dedicated "EUCON" VLAN.

EUCON v3.1.3 has no problem finding and interfacing with the the MC units. So, while you guys don't officially support LAGG, v3.1.3 is doing something right that v3.2.x changed. (BTW, EUCON v3.1.3 also reports the Network Interface as "Ethernet 1", even though the bond has a different name.)

In my situation, disabling link aggregation is not an option. My Mac connects to other link aggregated servers & computers on the network and moves a lot of data. We also want to keep EUCON on it's own VLAN subnet, to minimize network traffic and maximize efficiency.

You guys really need to incorporate LAGG and VLAN support into EUCON. Both are commonplace - particularly in commercial audio/visual facilities that comprise your target market!

EUCON v3.1.3 seems to work with LAGG and VLAN pretty well, so it'd be worth revisiting the code, as a start.

In the meantime, any help you can provide is very appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

*** Addendum, 1/13/15: While EUCON v3.1.3 works with my network, it still disables the "Shift+Touch Fader=0dB" feature on the MC Mix. I downgraded EUCON/EuControl to v3.0.1, while leaving the MC Mix firmware at v1.5.2. Now, EUCON appears to properly communicate with my network & MC controllers, and the "S+TF=0dB" feature has been restored.

Last edited by O-WYO; 01-13-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-WYO View Post
Hi Kyle, I'm a very similar situation as John King. EuControl v3.1.3 runs like a champ, but v3.2.x fails to find my MC Control and MC Mix's.

The Ethernet ports on my MacPro4,1 (OS 10.9.5) are link aggregated. In addition, to the network bond, my Mac is running a VLAN interface that is dedicated for EUCON. The MC Control and MC Mix's are connected to a layer 2 network switch and their Ethernet ports are tagged to the dedicated "EUCON" VLAN.

EUCON v3.1.3 has no problem finding and interfacing with the the MC units. So, while you guys don't officially support LAGG, v3.1.3 is doing something right that v3.2.x changed. (BTW, EUCON v3.1.3 also reports the Network Interface as "Ethernet 1", even though the bond has a different name.)

In my situation, disabling link aggregation is not an option. My Mac connects to other link aggregated servers & computers on the network and moves a lot of data. We also want to keep EUCON on it's own VLAN subnet, to minimize network traffic and maximize efficiency.

You guys really need to incorporate LAGG and VLAN support into EUCON. Both are commonplace - particularly in commercial audio/visual facilities that comprise your target market!

EUCON v3.1.3 seems to work with LAGG and VLAN pretty well, so it'd be worth revisiting the code, as a start.

In the meantime, any help you can provide is very appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

*** Addendum, 1/13/15: While EUCON v3.1.3 works with my network, it still disables the "Shift+Touch Fader=0dB" feature on the MC Mix. I downgraded EUCON/EuControl to v3.0.1, while leaving the MC Mix firmware at v1.5.2. Now, EUCON appears to properly communicate with my network & MC controllers, and the "S+TF=0dB" feature has been restored.

Hey Scott,

Sorry you are having issues with LAGG. Let me explain a bit about what's going on. First, I just have to say that we've never supported aggregated network ports. And, with EuControl 3.2+ we made changes in the code that require the user to select a single physical network interface such at Ethernet 1/Thunderbolt Ethernet (no LAGG, no Bluetooth PAN, no Wi-Fi). In addition to other work we did in EuControl 3.2+ to improve reliability, this change improves connectivity as EuControl is set to look only at a single network interface. In the past there were a issues where the software could be looking a different network port than where the surfaces were attached, and even the DAW could be looking at a different port than the surface. The consequence of that was often no surface connection. The upside of this change is that for the vast majority of users, connectivity is better in EuControl 3.2+. The downside is that connections such as LAGG/Wi-Fi (which were never supported) are now blocked. That being said, have you tried using a USB>Ethernet adapter for surface connections? That should allow you to maintain LAGG while using EuControl 3.2+ with surface connection via USB adapter.
Berkeley, CA
Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hey Scott,

Sorry you are having issues with LAGG. Let me explain a bit about what's going on. First, I just have to say that we've never supported aggregated network ports. And, with EuControl 3.2+ we made changes in the code that require the user to select a single physical network interface such at Ethernet 1/Thunderbolt Ethernet (no LAGG, no Bluetooth PAN, no Wi-Fi). In addition to other work we did in EuControl 3.2+ to improve reliability, this change improves connectivity as EuControl is set to look only at a single network interface. In the past there were a issues where the software could be looking a different network port than where the surfaces were attached, and even the DAW could be looking at a different port than the surface. The consequence of that was often no surface connection. The upside of this change is that for the vast majority of users, connectivity is better in EuControl 3.2+. The downside is that connections such as LAGG/Wi-Fi (which were never supported) are now blocked. That being said, have you tried using a USB>Ethernet adapter for surface connections? That should allow you to maintain LAGG while using EuControl 3.2+ with surface connection via USB adapter.
Hi Kyle, since we've discussed much of this in PM's, I'll reply for the benefit of those reading this thread.

To begin with, I'm not having issues with LAGG. With the glaring exception of EUCON, LAGG works spectacularly with all my hardware and software - including GlobalSAN iSCSI, Time Machine, and a few other network sensitive applications.

The issue I’m having is EUCON has now been programmed to specifically NOT work with LAGG. This is despite the fact that previous versions worked just fine on my LAGG/VLAN network interfaces.

I disagree with your assertion that that Avid has "improved" EUCON connectivity. What Avid has simply done is to force users into the most basic and limited of network topologies. While this may be adequate for the majority of users, it is crippling for a lot of us.

In addition, while this saves Avid money in dev and support, it’s costing many of us thousands.

There is no reason EUCON cannot work with LAGG, other than Avid doesn't want to bother with the programming. As I've stated, EUCON prior to v3.2.x connects just fine with my five Artist Controllers - via my LAGG and VLAN interfaces. And that's in OS 10.9.5.

Your recommendation to use a USB/Ethernet adapter is both a no-go and very puzzling. First, my USB ports and bandwidth are fully occupied, including a full 7-port hub. Second, why is it that EUCON can connect to a USB/Ethernet interface (presumably USB 2.0), but LAGG is specifically blocked?

The bottom line is, when I purchased my five Artist Series controllers, EUCON worked just fine with my system - LAGG, VLAN, and all. However, Avid has now seen fit to program EUCON to expressly NOT to work with my computer/network system. In addition, in the course of "improving" EUCON/EuControl, Avid has removed key features that I have come to rely upon.

Now that Avid has rendered my Artist Series unusable, Avid should allow me to return my Artist Series controllers for a complete refund. I’ll gather my receipts and await the Return Authorization.

Scott
Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-WYO View Post
Hi Kyle, since we've discussed much of this in PM's, I'll reply for the benefit of those reading this thread.

To begin with, I'm not having issues with LAGG. With the glaring exception of EUCON, LAGG works spectacularly with all my hardware and software - including GlobalSAN iSCSI, Time Machine, and a few other network sensitive applications.

The issue I’m having is EUCON has now been programmed to specifically NOT work with LAGG. This is despite the fact that previous versions worked just fine on my LAGG/VLAN network interfaces.

I disagree with your assertion that that Avid has "improved" EUCON connectivity. What Avid has simply done is to force users into the most basic and limited of network topologies. While this may be adequate for the majority of users, it is crippling for a lot of us.

In addition, while this saves Avid money in dev and support, it’s costing many of us thousands.

There is no reason EUCON cannot work with LAGG, other than Avid doesn't want to bother with the programming. As I've stated, EUCON prior to v3.2.x connects just fine with my five Artist Controllers - via my LAGG and VLAN interfaces. And that's in OS 10.9.5.

Your recommendation to use a USB/Ethernet adapter is both a no-go and very puzzling. First, my USB ports and bandwidth are fully occupied, including a full 7-port hub. Second, why is it that EUCON can connect to a USB/Ethernet interface (presumably USB 2.0), but LAGG is specifically blocked?

The bottom line is, when I purchased my five Artist Series controllers, EUCON worked just fine with my system - LAGG, VLAN, and all. However, Avid has now seen fit to program EUCON to expressly NOT to work with my computer/network system. In addition, in the course of "improving" EUCON/EuControl, Avid has removed key features that I have come to rely upon.

Now that Avid has rendered my Artist Series unusable, Avid should allow me to return my Artist Series controllers for a complete refund. I’ll gather my receipts and await the Return Authorization.

Scott
Hi Scott,

As I mentioned before LAGG has never been supported. If it was supported and we disabled it, then we'd be taken something away that we said was qualified. The problem is that if we unblock LAGG what happens when those users with LAGG have issues? Its not a supported configuration so we can't offer any troubleshooting, bug fixes, etc.

EuControl can connect to USB>Ethernet adapter, but not LAGG, because USB>Ethernet adapter is a single network interface. We also don't support connecting multiple Artist Surfaces to multiple network interfaces because EuControl needs to be looking at a single network interface. Architecturally, that is what is required.

Is getting a second USB hub an option so you can free up a USB port for a USB>Ethernet adapter for your switch>surfaces?

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA