Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-28-2004, 09:04 AM

Default URGENT HELP NEEDED...bad bouncing

Urgent only because this project needs to go in the mail today to about 330 radio stations...DOH!

Digidesign's tech support phone system was too busy and booted me. Here's the deal...

I recorded a bunch of 3-minute radio shows into my Mac G5 (10.3.4) via the SPDIF inputs on the Mbox. Original source is Sony DAT recorder. Everything sounds great in ProTools. Added ads, PSAs, bed music, etc. It's all ready to bounce for individual tracks on a CD. So I bounce first as MP3 to upload on our web site and then bounce as AIFF (16/44.1) for the CD.

During the real-time bounce audio sounds great. However, when I listen to the bounced files, the host's voice is distorted and slow. It sounds like it was run through a time expansion filter but the file is the right length, only his voice is goofy.

Any ideas what is causing this and whether there is a quick and easy fix? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED...bad bouncing

I should have added that only the portion of the show that was recorded from the DAT is slow and distorted sounding. The bed music, ads, etc. all sound fine...but they were originally recorded way back when on a AudioMedia 3 card.

Also, this slow, distortion has only cropped up since we went the SPDIF route from the DAT. When we used to do analog from the DAT, everything sounded OK except we had levels all over the place. SPDIF was an attempt to correct that but it came with its own problems apparently.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Avid

Hi,

I am not sure what you have going on but here are some things I would try. Make sure you are using internal clock. Bounce to disk with out conversion and select the import after bounce option. Check the files in the session first to make sure that they sound correct. If they are OK use export selected as files to convert them to the bit depth, file type, and sample rate that you need. If things go south when you make the Mp3 trash the Mp3.dll from Mac HDD/Applications/Digidesign/Pro Tools/Codecs/Mp3 and run the Pro Tools installer again selecting all the component you want installed including Pro Tools. If you are still unable to use the Mp3 export and are on a tight schedule export the files as 16 bit 44.1 and use iTunes as a workaround. I hope this helps.

Digidesign Tech Support
Old 09-28-2004, 09:28 AM

I'd love to have a look at this session...

Old 09-28-2004, 09:41 AM

It's sounds more interesting than it is...the session is pretty simple...2 tracks stretching off towards infinity...
Old 09-28-2004, 10:00 AM

Nothing is working...every bounce I make no matter what format sounds slow...then if I import them back into the PT session, they sound fine.

This is not good.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:25 AM

is it possible tha the DAT is recorded at 48KHz rate, and you are exporting as 44.1KHz ? Maybe way off beam here, but it's just a thought.
Good luck.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 09-28-2004, 10:27 AM

When I record into the session, I use 16/44.1 settings in ProTools' "New Session" dialog.

Would it still force a 48kHz recording?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:05 AM

Go ahead and burn a CD of your finals, that are "playing weird" on your system until you import them into pro-tools, listen to them on a CD player... they may be fine.

if they play fine in PT, but weird on your system ie... through itunes, the core audio driver is probably re-setting at 48k rather then 44,100 when you close pro-tools.

your CD may in fact be fine, in your System, try taking audio output off of digidesign HW, and set it to Internal system, listen to the audio files through your Mac system sound card... are they playing the right speed?? with clarity ?

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 09-28-2004, 11:50 AM

The whole thing that brought this to my attention was someone else here listening to a CD I had made before...bad audio on it. I thought it was a flub CD but when doing this session, I thought I'd double-check and sure enough, it was doing it in the bounce. So the bad audio happens during the bounce...but if I re-import a bad bounce back into PT, it plays fine!!!

Totally frustrating.

So looking at another software option until we figure this out...

Thanks.