Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 10:32 PM

Default cd copyright

hi

i have finished four songs with protools and want to put them on cd with some type of protection so that people cant rip cd's or post them on the net from the cd's.What is the best protection program that is hard to get through

thanks
kyle
Old 11-20-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: cd copyright

its non existent
Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 AM

In all fairness, I doubt people are going to be going to the trouble of posting your stuff on the internet, or bootlegging it.
And even if they DID, that's free advertising.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:27 AM

Well, a few years back I did find some software by a company in the UK that would even work on audio CD-R CDs. But I would have to track it down and it was expensive.

And being someone myself who has a project that had 2 top 40 hits and a current top 50 hit in Canada, I have to agree with Ejwells on this one.

At this point in your career, you are going to need every bit of free advertising you can get because it costs ALOT of flippin money to promote. Just to get a CD sent off to all the major radio stations in Canada(which has a population slightly under the state of Cali) costs some big bucks thats for sure. First the costs of the CD, then there is the long distance calls and emails etc just to try and get these guys to even listen to it never mind playing it.

And your first batch of about 500 to 1500 CDs will ALL be given away for FREE to promoters, college radio, mainstream radio, magazine reviewers, Indie labels, and the list goes on, just to get the word out that you guys even exist.

At this stage, if people love your music enough to put it up on the net, then let it happen. It's free advertising. And advertising costs way to much money these days.

And not only that, but anything that can be sent to a pair of speakers can be recorded and made into an mp3 to be fired off to the net. There is no such thing as copy protection when you look at it that way.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-21-2005, 08:51 AM

One thing to keep in mind: Many people (myself included) don't even listen to CD's anymore. Every CD I get goes onto the computer, and then onto my mp3 player. The CD then gets stored away in case I need to copy it again. If I get a CD that I can't make an mp3 file from than I will be less likely to support that company.

Look at all the flak that Sony is taking now for their copy protection. You do not want that type of reaction. I know that I am not buying anything from Sony for a while.

The harder you make it to access your music, the less people will care about it.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:56 AM

yep. I'm not buying cd:s that are not red-book compatible...
Old 11-21-2005, 10:22 AM

Kyle, unless you're already selling CD's in the hundreds of thousands, copying your stuff and spreading it around is the kindest thing someone else can do for you. Just make sure your songs are copyrighted.

If you prefer that they don't, that is your right as the intellectual copyright holder. But really, the only thing you can do is clearly indicate on the label that you are reserving your rights and are prohibiting unauthorized copying or distribution.
Yosemite OS