Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Pro Tools | S3

Old 11-02-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Can the S3 give feedback from plugins?

Is it possible to view feedback from plugins on the S3. Compression amount , internal load meter for a channelstrip etc ?

All the best :)
Old 11-02-2016, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Can the S3 give feedback from plugins?

No, the S3 will report parameters and their respective settings, however, you will need to view the GUI of such plugin to see amount of gain reduction for example.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx
Old 11-02-2016, 06:14 PM

So much for the dream about getting rid of the monitor sitting in front of me. Is it not possible theese days, to mix digital, analogue style - not staring at that DAW window. Feels like all controllers will do somthing, but never quite free you from the DAW chain

I had a dream of a mixer in front of the speakers and the DAW monitor 180 degress behind me. Turn around to edit or and fiddle, but everytime you mix, you turn away from the screen and mix with your ears
Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 PM

Maybe its the window setups that I have chosen, but I find that with the right choice of windows and environment settings, I find that a few minutes into a mix that the screen seems to disappear and my mind is freed to focus on the balance.

A few things I find really helpful are:

- Dark menubar ( thats OSX of course ), dark clean Desktop image. Clean desktop (no icons in view).
- Reduce your monitors visual impact. My colleagues know I have a predilection for gaffing around a monitor if its got ugly logos, LEDs, silver trim etc. Have even gaffed over the OS menubar
- Colour temperature of monitor pushed to a really warm orange (I love f.lux,app for this). Also dim the monitor so its subtle on the eyes.
- plenty of custom keyboard macros and EuCon hotkeys with the Avid Transport, to minimise mouse and keyboard actions. The Avid Transport is my fave for this.
- My latest joy is an old Gas-Plasma AES PPM meter, that sits on my MixBuss outputs and offers me consistent metering.

Food for thought.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:15 AM

What are you dreaming about? You can't even tell what automation mode a channel is in.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeecee View Post
Maybe its the window setups that I have chosen, but I find that with the right choice of windows and environment settings, I find that a few minutes into a mix that the screen seems to disappear and my mind is freed to focus on the balance.

A few things I find really helpful are:

- Dark menubar ( thats OSX of course ), dark clean Desktop image. Clean desktop (no icons in view).
- Reduce your monitors visual impact. My colleagues know I have a predilection for gaffing around a monitor if its got ugly logos, LEDs, silver trim etc. Have even gaffed over the OS menubar
- Colour temperature of monitor pushed to a really warm orange (I love f.lux,app for this). Also dim the monitor so its subtle on the eyes.
- plenty of custom keyboard macros and EuCon hotkeys with the Avid Transport, to minimise mouse and keyboard actions. The Avid Transport is my fave for this.
- My latest joy is an old Gas-Plasma AES PPM meter, that sits on my MixBuss outputs and offers me consistent metering.

Food for thought.

on PC, working on film, I always have a black image fullscreen in windows viewer (on both pc monitors) and simply alt-tab to it when I start mixing/watching
Old 11-04-2016, 11:37 AM

Icons and s6's can do this.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-24-2016, 03:40 AM

S6 and Icon are just pretty expensive Unless you mean the cheap Icon controllers :):) Weird that feedback from a compressor, is so excotic in 2016 that that you need a to spend huge sums to get one of the most basic functions of a mix to work with your controller ;(
Old 11-24-2016, 08:04 AM

I dont think S6 can show gainreduction of individual plugins or the separate bands of a multibandcompressor, you have to choose one are all combined, the old icon on the other hand do this just fine..
2xHD madi - 2xHD omni -
Old 11-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioartist View Post
I dont think S6 can show gainreduction of individual plugins or the separate bands of a multibandcompressor, you have to choose one are all combined, the old icon on the other hand do this just fine..
The m40 can show comp feedback, can't it? I don't have an m40 only m10 and yes you can see general gain reduction but not split out plug in parameters, yet.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme