Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Default MIDI tracks are recording an unwanted instrument sound

This noob needs some help please!! My first MIDI track records beautifully using Pro Tools 7 LE, Digi 002, windows OS, and a YAMAHA DGX500 keyboard. However, when I record the 2nd track, I get additional notes of the first instrument on top of the desired instrument sound I'm intending to record on Track 2. For example, if my first track is a Piano sound, and my 2nd track is drums, the drum track ends up containing unwanted piano sounds on top of every note of the drums. After this happens, my YAMAHA keyboard itself also plays these unwanted dual sounds. If I turn my keyboard off and on again, it clears the problem and the keyboard notes sound true again (with no duplicate, dual instrument sounds), but I have not found a way to fix the Pro Tools recording issue. I should mention that this same exact system, set up, hardware, etc. worked beautifully for my about 5 years ago. I put it away for some time and I'm trying to get back into it now -- which required me to set up everything again from memory. Did I set something up wrong in terms of cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Default Re: MIDI tracks are recording an unwanted instrument sound

Go to VIEW>Mix Window Show> and check the choice called "Instrument". Now go to the MIX window and scroll up to see the new row of boxes at the top of each strip. On your instrument tracks, you can make 2 choices that should clear up the problem. First, the Midi input device that feeds each track, and the destination of the midi(which plugin instrument you want to be played by that track's midi data). Good luck

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave