Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 AM

Default How many people would love to compose using Pro Tools but can't due to crashes?

Hi Everyone,

Just out of curiousity, how many people can't write in Pro Tools because of constant memory and auto-save crashes due to Virtual Instruments overloading the software?

I much prefer working in Pro Tools than any other DAW but I can only get so far in a session before it becomes completely unstable.

Is this a MAC and PC issue?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 AM

Default Re: How many people would love to compose using Pro Tools but can't due to crashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caatalyst View Post
Is this a MAC and PC issue?
It is the classic PT 32 bit RAM limit issue that affects anyone needing more than 4 Gigs of RAM on Mac, or 2.5G RAM on PC. In these cases, Vienna Ensemble Pro (Virtual Instrument Host), or another 64 bit DAW for composing with VI's are the only sane ways around it. (I have a link to Reaper ReWire in my sig but don't recommend it anymore. VE Pro is the way to go if you want to stick with PT).

Maybe this and this will help with stability but it looks like you may need a VI Host.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
It is the classic PT 32 bit RAM limit issue that affects anyone needing more than 4 Gigs of RAM on Mac, or 2.5G RAM on PC. In these cases, Vienna Ensemble Pro (Virtual Instrument Host), or another 64 bit DAW for composing with VI's are the only sane ways around it. (I have a link to Reaper ReWire in my sig but don't recommend it anymore. VE Pro is the way to go if you want to stick with PT).

Maybe this and this will help with stability but it looks like you may need a VI Host.
For PC on a 64 bit OS you get around 3.5 gigs for PT. I hit the wall around 3.7 but performance is useless after 3.5.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Default Re: How many people would love to compose using Pro Tools but can't due to crashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
For PC on a 64 bit OS you get around 3.5 gigs for PT. I hit the wall around 3.7 but performance is useless after 3.5.
It varies depending on the system and workflow but 3.5 - 3.7 is not a guaranteed mark. On my tweaked out 64 bit PC instability begins when PT gets to around 2.5G of RAM usage. I've seen this as the case for others too.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
It varies depending on the system and workflow but 3.5 - 3.7 is not a guaranteed mark. On my tweaked out 64 bit PC instability begins when PT gets to around 2.5G of RAM usage. I've seen this as the case for others too.
Strange. I guess I'm lucky then :). Perhaps it depends on other factors as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Perhaps it depends on other factors as well.
Yep. I.e, before an update fix, Stylus RMX would become unstable when the host became "low on memory" (whatever low on memory meant on a given system). The update was said to fix the problem within the plugin. I remember a few posts blaming PT for that issue.

For me, all plugins are stable and up to date and the PT playback engine and Windows x64 are fully optimized. PT runs like a champ until I hit that 2.5 range. So the VI host keeps me going.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM

I think a VI host is a good idea any way. I'll hit almost 2 gigs on Superior Drummer at times. So it would be easy to run out memory in a densely VI populated session.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM

Some Trilian bass patches are 2GB. Add Superior Drummer and the session is over! So, it doesn't even need to be a densely populated VI session to need a VI Host.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Some Trilian bass patches are 2GB. Add Superior Drummer and the session is over! So, it doesn't even need to be a densely populated VI session to need a VI Host.
Right you are.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 AM

I do all my composing in PT with Vienna Ensemble Pro. But I have to say that I still hope it is just a workaround as it adds complexity to sessions and can get frustrating when you can't figure out why your multitimbral/multichannel instrument isn't playing patch 3 out of instrument track 4.

The second workflow killer for me is the delay compensation issues where everything will be in sync perfectly until you record enable one of your virtual instruments and all of the tracks no longer line up properly.

I really hope to see PT get these issues ironed out. I wish they would fix the second issue within PT 10 as I will likely be at 10 for awhile until I can afford an HDX system.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio