Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
This thread has now exceeded over 1,000,000 views.
(see "Views" column - http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)

P.S. I can only find one thread on the entire DUC with more views than this.
Does anyone at Avid understand the significance of this fact ? . . . anyone ?
They could care less!
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????
Old 06-05-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthas Dream View Post
They could care less!

Help us Neyrinck-Wan Kenobi, you’re our only hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 02:13 PM

https://neyrinck.com/v-control-pro/

Who has bought this and used it yet? Currently $199 to own it for $49 a year rental....

GearGuy
Old 06-21-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthas Dream View Post
They could care less!
They *couldn't care less.

just saying.

I though avid stomped down hard on this type of thing? now an industry pops up for it! Wish I'd dug in and reverse engineered it myself and made a few squids.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:16 PM

While using latest pro tools versions, Ultimate/2018 HD whatever they call it now, My Control 24 is back at the center of my studio!!!! Thanks to Neyrinck and Vcontrol Pro. (I have no affiliation with Neyrinck, I just bought their product. )

I am so happy to be able to use this control surface with the latest versions again.

I also like the fact that I get to snub my nose at Avid.

This experience taught me - I don't buy anything from Avid unless I absolutely have to. I know what Avid is at its core - A snake that can hold me hostage anytime I get too close or God forbid, become dependent on their products. Never again.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule62 View Post
I also like the fact that I get to snub my nose at Avid.

Don’t think that Neyrick did this without Avids blessings.

They definitely signed off of this....humility and gratefulness is a much better attitude to have
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule62 View Post
While using latest pro tools versions, Ultimate/2018 HD whatever they call it now, My Control 24 is back at the center of my studio!!!! Thanks to Neyrinck and Vcontrol Pro. (I have no affiliation with Neyrinck, I just bought their product. )

I am so happy to be able to use this control surface with the latest versions again.
Cool!! So how does it work actually? Is full functionality restored? The site is a bit vague about it.

Can you post some vids?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:56 AM

That's a very quiet roll out...
Old 06-27-2018, 09:16 AM

I'm curious to know how well it works for ProControl. Especially with multiple units. I have a main unit ProControl, Edit Pack, and Fader Pack.

GearGuy
Old 06-29-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy View Post
I'm curious to know how well it works for ProControl. Especially with multiple units. I have a main unit ProControl, Edit Pack, and Fader Pack.
I’m one of the beta-testers of the new V-Control Pro with support for Digidesign Legacy Controllers since the beginning of the project and in close cooperation with Paul Neyrinck. I was (and I still am) testing the software with my 48 fader ProControl on my Mac Pro 2012 with Sierra 10.12.6 and Pro Tools 2018.4. I needed to be confidential about this project for almost three months now. But since the software is commercially available I’m allowed to share my experiences.

For the record: I know nothing about how the new V-Control Pro works with a Control 24, I can only answer questions about the functionality with one or more ProControl units.

To answer your question: it works very well inside the technical limitations inherent to the use of the old HUI protocol that exists since Pro Tools 5.3 (2003).

In general V-Control Pro provides virtual MIDI ports that are set up in Pro Tools as MIDI peripherals using the HUI protocol. V-Control Pro connects to ProControl / Control 24 by Ethernet and translates them to the HUI protocol. Some buttons on ProControl / Control 24 do not function because HUI does not provide every feature on those surfaces. But HUI is a basically a good protocol and lets you do almost everything you really need for professional mix control.

It works with a ProControl Main Unit and/or Fader Packs. This means you do not necessarily need a Main Unit, it also works with one ore more Fader Packs without a Main Unit. I suppose it also works with multiple Main Units, I don’t see why not, however I was not able to test this.

The Edit Pack is not supported but maybe it will be partially supported in a future version. But the motorised joysticks on an Edit Pack will never be supported because Pro Tools does not provide surround pan position feedback in the HUI protocol.

V-Control Pro works fine with 8, 16, 24 or maximum 32 faders (this is a HUI limitation). On my 48 fader ProControl I can freely choose 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the 6 units in V-Control Pro, even when Pro Tools is open and running.

Bank and nudge buttons let you access all tracks that are in a Pro Tools session.

What does work with ProControl:

- faders with .1 dB resolution
- Pan, Mute, Solo, Record
- track select
- sends A-E
- sends flip to fader
- all transport functions
- plug-in editing will be available in a future version

But there are some limitations due to the limitations of the HUI protocol:

- no more then 32 faders
- track names are limited to 4 characters
- no sends are accessible beyond A-E
- no ProControl Main Unit Channel Matrix
- no Solo Clear button

I’m working with ProControl since 1999 and I find these limitation very annoying. I hate scribble strips with just 4 characters and I was using the ProControl Main Unit Channel Matrix + the Solo Clear buttons on all my units a lot (muscle memory that has gone to waste now).

But on the other hand, before this new version of V-Control Pro my ProControl was virtually dead with Pro Tools 11 and 12, now it has revived and has become a fancy HUI controller with the legendary marvellous faders of the ProControl and V-Control Pro makes it possible to use a lot of its original functionality.

I do not know if there is some kind of agreement between Paul Neyrinck and AVID about V-Control Pro and supporting the Digidesign Legacy Controllers. But AVID can’t deliberately make V-Control Pro not work anymore in future Pro Tools updates exactly because V-Control Pro uses the HUI protocol to control Pro Tools. Dozens of control surfaces use the HUI protocol, if Avid stopped supporting HUI, it would make V-Control Pro and many other control surfaces incompatible.

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins