Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Default Re: HD Native Upgrade or Downgrade?

ive had plenty of experience using low buffers in LE and i can tell u that u can hear the latency... i have never used native but i can say for a fact that it operates the same as LE as far as tracking... whether or not 64 is the same latency in native as it is in LE i dont know but like i said im willing to bet the latency is lower with low latency monitoring than it is at 64 or 32...its obvious u cant face facts so im not going to keep repeating myself have fun living a fantasy
Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 PM

and one last thing try tracking with a rtas plugin in HD the latency is bad... seeing as HD always tracks with the lowest possible latency why is that??? could it be that rtas is not built to track thru??? there should be no latency since HD is always tracking with lowest possible latency but there is quit a bit so explain that one with sum more BS why dont u
Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
and one last thing try tracking with a rtas plugin in HD the latency is bad... seeing as HD always tracks with the lowest possible latency why is that??? could it be that rtas is not built to track thru??? there should be no latency since HD is always tracking with lowest possible latency but there is quit a bit so explain that one with sum more BS why dont u
It's a well known fact that you can't put RTAS plugs first in the chain when tracking through TDM plugs... but I guess you already know everything.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 PM

u cant have rtas in any order srry to inform
Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
u cant have rtas in any order srry to inform
Right, so I guess I should call my clients and tell them they should be hearing latency while I'm recording them because RTAS is no good.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
i have never used native but i can say for a fact that it operates the same as LE as far as tracking.
The onboard FPGA hosts and processes the I/O on the PCIe Native card. Such functionality is not implemented on any USB nor FireWire base hardware system. That is, tracking on Native card is not the same as a LE hardware system.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
for one PTHD offers very low latency while tracking with plug ins.
Native card supports tracking and mixing at a Hardware Buffer of 32 Samples with a full board of plug-ins. Unlike DSP based systems (the number of DSP cards seated) Native card relies on host processing power, so it be fair, although Native card will not perform at it's best on a G4 nor G5, Native card running on a Nehalem Westmere-EP (Core-i9) is a whole other ball game.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 AM

Just got through my first large-ish post project on HD Native (10gig session with about 20gig of vision) and it has performed very well. I was running at a 64 buffer too without even realising (but its not a plugin heavy session as it is being mixed elsewhere).
I was running into a few errors until I updated to the new version of iZotope RX and then fixed the permissions.
After that it ran faultlessly.

But to Answer the OP -> In my opinion if you have HD2Accel, you pretty much have HDNative already, but with a few bonus features.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 AM

There's more to HD Native than meets the eye, because of how it's designed. Here's a chart from Avid that compares everything:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources...ilyLatency.png
Old 10-03-2011, 02:22 PM

I am interested to know how latency created by plugins work in HD Native if you dont use low latecy monitoring but run it just like a regular system with small buffer. Lets say you have a buffer of 64 samples and you put up a plugin that has 20 samples of latency. Will that plugin then be handled inside this 64 samples buffer and there will be no additional latency added or will the total be 64+20?

And what happens when you have 64 samples buffer but your plugin has 1064 of latency?

As I said I'm on HD4 and I remember at some point having issues with Waves plugins generating noise and bizzare stuff. So I contacted Waves about this and the first thing they asked was how big of a buffer I'm using? I was using the lowest HD system offers (128 I guess, don't remember from top of my head) and they said it's too low increase it and I did and problems went away. Things like that make me sceptical of guys saying "i run gazillion plugins at the buffer of 32 without a hiccup!"

About the plugins list posted earlier, someone said they are old plugins sounding like they are sh!et... True they are old but the list includes some of the still most used plugins at least by me. Phoenix, all TC Electronic stuff, Revibe, SoundToys and Echo Farm are not replaceable for me. And talking about old.. Focusrite compressor, my favorite is from I don't know 1993?? But perhapse I just like vintage digital