Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-22-2003, 05:27 AM

Default Re: what\'s this? / 002 rack?

does it include TIMECODE features???????
Old 05-22-2003, 07:33 AM

From the compatability page on the digidesign site :

Pro Tools LE 6.0.2 for OS X is required to use the Digi 002 Rack, is specific to Digi 002 systems, and does not work with other Digidesign Pro Tools hardware systems. Digi 002 Rack cannot be used on Mac OS 9.

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] BASTARD!!!

Digi 002 Rack will not function if any Digidesign PCI cards are installed in the CPU. (Digi 001, Audiomedia III, TDM cards, SampleCell)

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] So I couldn't buy a digi002 rack and use my audiomedia III card to pipe 4 channels of audio into it from another application ? how lame.

It's so cool, I want one anyway [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't have the power to run it though. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 08:09 AM

Yeah, I ordered one too yesterday, even though I'm not certain if the plug-ins bundle is included ( the press release at Harmony-Central says so), but I was planning on an eMac 1GHz with over 512 megs of ram and the compatibility specs lists the eMac as unsupported. Strange that the iMac 1 GHz is supported; aside from the flat screen and graphic card, this machine seems very similar to the eMac (which just got a bus speed boost to 133 MHz).
Anyway, seems like I have to go the bank now!
Old 05-22-2003, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Can't run software for MBox and oo2 Rack on same machine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You could create two partitions on your internal drive, each with an OS and the correct version of PT. Just reboot into the other partition when you want to switch between Mbox and 002R.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Hey check this out: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/002UpgToGold/
Would this little package here work with the 002 rack too?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Probably not...it won't even work with the 002 any more since they're not going to be shipping the 002 with Waves plugins anymore.

Quote:
Actually the connection from the 001 card to the 001 box is a form of SCSI connection. Not sure of the transfer rate vs. firewire though.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It may be true that it uses a SCSI connector, but it's not a SCSI device...it uses its own proprietary protocol for the transfer of data (kind of like the 2408 from MOTU, which uses a Firewire cable but isn't actually a Firewire device because it reqires its own proprietary PCI card and doesn't follow the IEEE 1394 specs). Not sure why the transfer rate really matters, though, so long as it's fast enough to do what it needs to do...

-Duardo
Old 05-22-2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by kenhawkins:
Quote:
i spoke to a sweetwater rep on the phone and it does NOT come with a bundle of plugins. However he did say that it was the same pre's that are in the digi PRE.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Kind of... The pre's are the same as the 002 and are based on the Digi "PRE" but are NOT the same. Better then the Mbox, or 001's!

They are nice however.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeachDog:
In the past I've paid more then $1200.00 on a single reel to reel machine, so I don't agree that this is a lot of money. Hell, it's a full recording system and you don't need to keep buying tape! Enjoy our new tech world. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Thanks for bringing in the reel to reel/tape/old school analogue comparison, into the discussion. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comparitively speaking, $1200 IS too much, when you consider how affordable the technology is and has been for some time. The 828mkII is a complete system too (it comes w/Audiodesk software) and it's only $750. The Logic Gold Production Bundle can be found for $500 (it comes with the emi 6/2 interface). And I could go on and on. . .

I have no problem paying more because it is ProTools, but not that much more. Throw in a couple Waves plug-ins to soften the blow.

"Welcome to the new tech world", it's been here for a while and "complete systems" have been going for under the $1000 mark for while now.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fenris:
Yeah, I ordered one too yesterday, even though I'm not certain if the plug-ins bundle is included ( the press release at Harmony-Central says so), but I was planning on an eMac 1GHz with over 512 megs of ram and the compatibility specs lists the eMac as unsupported. Strange that the iMac 1 GHz is supported; aside from the flat screen and graphic card, this machine seems very similar to the eMac (which just got a bus speed boost to 133 MHz).
Anyway, seems like I have to go the bank now!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe they revamped the eMac's before releasing the 133MHz version, but the word on the street is that eMacs' are prone to bizarre hardware failure's (look around for refurbished eMac's and you'll find them a-plenty). I'm betting that's why they're not supported by Digi for the 002.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaphoron:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Stage:
according to sweetwater it comes with amplitube, sampletank, and the usual digi stuff..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Did you talk to someone or did you see that on their site somewhere. If the Digi002 Rack comes with some free plugins I will buy it but otherwise I might be forced to go with the regular 002. <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no way! the guy i spoke to there said NOPE on the plugin extra's

ken;
Old 05-23-2003, 12:00 AM

I'm waiting to hear about the plug-in bundle too. $1200 is alot to pay for it if it doesn't come with a good plug-in bundle. It shouldn't cost anymore than a 001, if you ask me. This technology is cheap and easy to access, plus, alot of the R&D was already done with the original 002.