Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2019, 07:51 AM

Default Major file loss on windows 10 rig NEW INFO

Error 0x80070570 is the message I get when I try to open these sessions, or if I try to copy them to another drive. Most times, the files do not even show on the screen. Its affecting things AFTER a certain date(IOW, older stuff on the same drive seems okay). One project had 2 folders(main and backup) and held 12 final mix sessions in one folder and 12 full copies in the other folder. The copies included all the audio files(copies, not links to the original sessions) and I ran all the copy sessions last week to bounce TV mixes for the client. I was able to see the files and tried to copy them to another drive(drive affected is a 6-month old Samsung SSD). When I tried to copy the entire project folder, nothing would happen. The first song's session folder copied over and works. The second song threw messages of missing files from the Backups folder(once I skipped those, the copy was complete and that song will open). None of the rest would copy and at this time, I have lost 10 or 12 songs for that client and an entire CD worth for another client

I do have the original audio on an external, but if I can't recover these files, I've lost several hundred hours of work and will likely have to reedit and remix, which will burn several hundred hours

Other stuff I tried: Did a google search on the error(up top) and got buried in unhelpful conversations and links to buy software that claims it can help. Tried accessing the drive from 2 other computers(one with Windows 10 and the other with Windows 7). Ran Checkdisk which stalled at around 20% complete and stuck there for hours. Currently unable to even view the files on all 3 systems. Any advice will be welcome, and please, please, PLEASE take this warning!!!!! If it matters, BACK IT UP and back it up to multiple drives!!! I am supposed to be smarter than this

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 12-29-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: followup
Old 12-24-2019, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Major file loss on windows 10 rig

Hi this happened out of the blue ?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Dave, no images you can copy the files from? It's why I image my OS and Audio drives nightly, although there's nothing mission critical as almost all of my work is one and done.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-25-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Dave, no images you can copy the files from? It's why I image my OS and Audio drives nightly, although there's nothing mission critical as almost all of my work is one and done.
Sadly no. I'm an idiot for not being on top of backups! Nobody to blame but me at the moment

Old 12-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Can you see the files if you boot up from a Linux disk? It's possible everything is still there, but the directory "structure" (or whatever it's called) got messed up. If it will take you several hundred hours to remix and edit from the original audio, it may be better to see if a data recovery company can help.

Perhaps make a clone of the SSD, and try some recovery software on the clone, if you want to try recovery software on your own. That way if you mess it up further, a professional company can still work with the original SSD.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Can you see the files if you boot up from a Linux disk? It's possible everything is still there, but the directory "structure" (or whatever it's called) got messed up. If it will take you several hundred hours to remix and edit from the original audio, it may be better to see if a data recovery company can help.

Perhaps make a clone of the SSD, and try some recovery software on the clone, if you want to try recovery software on your own. That way if you mess it up further, a professional company can still work with the original SSD.
Would like to try the Linux route but I know absolutely zero about Linux. As for data recovery services, they are too expensive for no real guarantee of success Trying EaseUS Data Recovery software now and it is finding SOME of what went missing, but their code from my purchase isn't working and their "live support" is down at the moment(its like this crapped gets planned ahead)

Old 01-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Major file loss on windows 10 rig NEW INFO

I found that the trick with Recuva was to let it grind for hours doing the deep scan. I got back everything that was lost when the wrong disk got reformatted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-02-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I found that the trick with Recuva was to let it grind for hours doing the deep scan. I got back everything that was lost when the wrong disk got reformatted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did this. It came back with less than running it before the quick format(actually, way way less)

Old 01-28-2020, 08:40 AM

I'm curious about which build of Win10 this happened on. I'm running 1909 and have had one basically new drive suddenly refuse to mount and sessions that were recovered from it had a number of corrupt audio files (noise blasts). Likely a bad drive but I've had some corrupt audio files here and there in other sessions. Never had this happen in many years of running Win7. Plus some odd things about the OS in general (on different rigs). I've heard some other scary stories so I'm not feeling good about Windows 10 right now. Multiple backups...
Old 01-29-2020, 07:21 AM

1903 is what I am running. Multiple backups is the safest thing to do