Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 PM

Default Pro Tools: Windows or MacOS

Hi everyone! I’m a student at Berklee College and I’m studying music production. I currently own a MacBook Air from mid-2017 with 8GB RAM and 128 SSD and have been told that it won’t be very compatible with Pro tools or Reason and programs like those. So everyone keeps telling me that I should get a MacBook Pro but I’m also looking into the MS surfaces or even HP. I guess I’m asking if apple is the best computer for music production or is the surface pro or HP just as good?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools: Windows or MacOS

Well, the Mac fans will(of course) insist you get a Macbook Pro, but the Surface is a very capable computer. Its more down to 2 things; #1-will the class be done only on one platform(Mac or PC)? If yes, then you might want to lean in that direction. And #2-the actual specs of the computer. You want a fast multi-core cpu and you want 16GB of RAM at the absolute minimum. Then, unless you are going to carry a separate external drive for your sessions(which needs to be either an SSD or a 7200 rpm spinner), then you want at least a 1TB SSD in the computer(the speed of SSD's allows you to record to the internal drive, which was a bad idea back in the age of spinning hard drives). I know 1TB seems huge, but once you start recording sessions and adding virtual instrument plugins and libraries, a smaller drive will get filled up pretty fast.

I can't comment on the HP as I'm not sure how compatible they are(unless you get a recommendation on a specific model). 1 point in favor of the MBP, Core audio seems a bit more friendly. I'm sure others will have lots to say(and I would listen to all)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-04-2020, 09:03 AM

It runs with IOS and windows 7. So I know that I could have either. I’m more concerned with all the cost of each computer. But I also want a computer that is close to the best for this kind of thing. Does anyone have any recommendations for computers? Macs and other brands. Thank you guys!!
Old 04-14-2020, 04:22 AM

I’ve been running ProTools on a PC for years with no more issues then the Mac guys so your own personal comfort with an operating system should also play into this decision. AVID is obviously committed to supporting both.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:49 AM

From a Mac studio with 15 year useage of Mac Pro’s and MBP’s for travel our perspective when it comes to laptops I would look at a 2015 i7 16GB ram and atleast a 512GB SSD main drive and you can find one on macsales and other refurb places or your local second hand avenues.

It has been easier and less issues for Macbook Pro owners as Win Laptops have been abit of hit and miss so a used 2015/2016/2017 i7 16 GB or better and a 512GB SSD is a winner. You can use than for a long time and not pushed into running the latest Catalina which comes on new MacPro as High Sierra and the ven Mojave has been very solid OS’s.

This is just my opinion and comes from many years as a Mac user. We have many members here who use both PC/Mac in their studios and home setups but when it comes to laptops and use of Thunderbolt external devices later on it will probably in all honesty a safer bet to get a Macbook Pro here.

Look at the used versions I gave you and you can find one for 1K or less.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-14-2020, 08:24 AM

Pro Tools works well (for the most part) on both platforms. I've owned and gigged at studios with both Mac & Win. I think it also comes down to which platform you are most comfortable with. Get the fastest CPU you can afford, at least 16GB ram, and a big NVMe SSD. Do all the AVID recommended system optimizations, and uninstall or disable all bloatware and useless startup items.

The thing that bugs me about Mac a bit, is that the OS upgrades tend to break Pro Tools. My 2 cents.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 04-22-2020, 07:49 PM

I am running an older version on both. An ancient Macbook pro with a core 2 duo and only 4 gb of RAM running snow leopard. Then i have the same version (9.05) running on a Dell latitude with 16 gb of RAM, i5 256 GB nVME SSD and Win 10 pro and 7 (installed both). It seems to run fine under 10 but I prefer PT on Mac just due to better multi monitor support.

I use both Macs and PCs daily and have for years, though i have mostly used PT on Macs. I second the idea of getting a good 2015 Macbook pro or a similar business class Dell or a Dell precision. If you will be using a USB interface you will be fine