Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Default Pro Tools 8.1 Magma expansion chassis help

Hey there digidesign / avid forum dwellers.

After quite a while of searching these and many other forums / troubleshooting things I've decided to throw in the towel and ask for a little bit of help with getting my PT HD rig running on my macbook pro.

so here is the story:

I have a PT HD2 system, running a core and process PCI card that are in a magma 4 slot PCI - Express 34 card expansion chassis on a 2.2 Ghz Intel core 2 duo (w/ 2gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram) running snow leopard (10.6.4) and an ice cube 250 Gig HDD (FW400)

after having problems with an error coming up regarding lack of CPU power even when i only had one track with no plugins in the session i decided to do a completely fresh install of Snow leopard and protools 8.1 .. Since doing that the CPU error message seems to have gone which is great, but I'm still having dramas of when I play back audio it plays about 2 seconds of it, then even though the timeline keeps moving all I'm hearing is a loop of the 2 seconds that has some kind of digital white noise / static playing over?

I only have the plugins that come with 8.1 installed, I have the session setup pretty standard (buffer size is ... is it 1024? .... the next one up from 512... I'm using one less processor than my maximum.. i.e. 1 processor and have the system usage set on 80%)

The only thing that i think could be the weakness in the chain is the Magma expansion chassis as I couldn't find any compatability info with Leopard or PT 8.1 ..

I had it all running flawlessly on 7.4.2 running on leopard with all my waves plugins etc and the exact same hardware setup as i do now, but as soon as i changed to Snow leopard and 8 , or higher ( I've tried all of the PT 8 versions and they all do the same thing) ,

just wondering if anyone has any info , or has a similar setup to me as i can't seem to find anything anywhere..

any feedback is greatly appreciated .

Cheers

Rudy
Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.1 Magma expansion chassis help

I've tested my MBP on OS 10.6.3, Protools HD 8.1, Magma 4slot, HD 2 Accel - works fine. I need to upgrade some other things for 10.6.3 before going prime-time.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the reply scott. Good to know someone has a similar system that appears to be working, may i ask how old your MBP / expansion chassis / hd rig is? are the HD cards PCI or PCIx? anyone know if it would make a difference anyway?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM

Wait, PCI or PCIx? I thought they were the same. You mean PCI or PCIe? Do you have a PCIe Core card?

System 1: Retina MBP 512SSD/16RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
System 2: Mac Mini - 512SSD/8RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10 HD
Pro Tools 11 HD
SYNC HD
Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 PM

oops, yeah. i meant PCIe.. way for me to confuse things further (i chose the wrong letter for the work express)

All of my cards are PCI cards , probably about 4 or so years old now.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 AM

I've got a PE6R4 with 4 or 5 PCIX cards (sorry long night). PT 8.1 on a Mac Pro 8 core.

Even with fresh installs of OS and PT on new approved drives, and minimal plugs, PT8 transition from 7 has been a complete disaster. In the month I've been trying to use 8 full time (60+ hrs a week here), it has been the most crash happy time in 8 years.

Session corruption on every legacy session I open if Elastic Audio is involved. Nothing is safe.

New sessions are better, but I still get random corruption and goofy DAE errors. Always seems to revolve around EA. I know I'm not alone. But I also know lots of folks are doing just fine and not having these issues.

I'm trying to learn to live with it. Goofy random graphic glitches, random PC like error codes (foreign until now to a Mac user like me). Generally a wash time wise (system is zippier, Pro Tools is snappier, etc... but all that is equalized by more crash down time).

I bought all new drives and all new stuff to try yet again a complete overhaul next week. I still use 7.4 partition when things get to wonky in front of clients.

Not giving up on my 8 situation but am definitely worn out trying to make my system stable. I think it will work out at some point. As long as I don't go gray in the process....
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2018.3.
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 AM

Hi Brian, when you say minimal plugs, are you saying minimal plugs 'used' in the session, or minimal plugs 'installed' on the system. The reason I ask, I have an almost identical system as you (8-Core Mac, PE6R4, HD3) which has been fairly stable. BUT, my transition from 7.4 was similar, it was a disaster.

One thing that was really crucial, and more from from 8.03 to 8.04 even, was to really really carefully check every single installed plugin for the latest version. PT8 is particular unforgiving in this department. It's a source of much stress for me, as I have so many plugins, and seemingly now at every 8.xx release, I have to check them all again.

I'm certainly seeing the same 'goofy random graphic glitches', like:

1) The pan window corrupts almost every single time I call one up, the second I move the 'point' in the pan window, the BG of that space goes all blocky.

2) With 'track selection follows edit selection' picked, if I drag the cursor across a bunch of tracks, the track names don't actually highlight like they should. The tracks will actually 'be' selected, but it won't actually show correctly.

I still struggle to understand why well into 8.1cs2 now no one is looking into these things seemingly.

Make sure that you trash the Database folder religiously under Library - Application Support - Digidesign. Any time I get a DAE error, it gets trashed, and often seems to fix them.

Elastic Audio for sure is a culprit, I don't use it much, luckily so I haven't seen, but certainly earlier in 8.0's life there were a bunch of posts about it. I also remember in some of those posts it wasn't EA that was suspected by Digi, but actually incompatible plugs.

That's the strange thing, having just one 'incompatible' plug in your folder, used in the session or not, can seemingly take down the whole system with random crashes. Makes no sense to me. But it really is true. And the crashes can very well make it appear as if something else is really going on. Like EA.

So, no idea if it could be your problem, but you might check. For me, finally, 8.1cs2 'seems' pretty stable, and 8.1 was pretty stable as well. Been using them a lot here for days on end, and not getting a lot of crashes. Occasionally, but I would say about in the same range as 7.4.2 did.

Which is good, as for me, 8.0, 8.01, 8.03 were disastrous. Crash after Crash after Crash.

I still wish they'd tackle these graphic corruption issues though.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:17 AM

In my particular nightmare... I did nothing but have Stereo Mixer and EA installed... and the sessions STILL crashed constantly. I run the database/pref cleaner (and do it manually) before and after every session. Sometimes DURING if the session goes buggy.

I've adopted 8 later than a lot of people. I bought it 2 years ago and finally got around to trying my 8 beta drive (i've been slowly and carefully installing things over the past few months onto a new drive). The killer was that PT8 seems to corrupt legacy sessions instantly. So once that happens, no matter what you do, you're in trouble. Funny, that my old drive with 7.4 can play any of the "corrupted" legacy sessions that my 8 drive WON'T play. EA 8.x is NOT compatible with dense EA edits made in 7.4 on my system. Maybe not on everyone's. but here, it doesn't work. Across at least 2 computers (LE and HD).

I have one project that is basically paying over 30-40 percent of my income this year. Right or wrong, they have done hundreds or THOUSANDS of edits and have hundreds of takes and pieces that have been assembled to make the album work. That session gets worse all the time. Even if I do Save As, or import, all the usual corrupt session stuff. 7.4 endlessly shuffles DSP. 8 though, crashes randomly every time it hits an EA point it doesn't like. Rendering doesn't help. Rendering just crashes the session.

I've sent stuff to Digi directly upon their request, but haven't heard back in weeks. Guess they're too busy adding to the LE line.

I realize I am in the minority with the amount of issues I've had. I just never remember coming to the DUC and seeing so many major issues... not like "OH i wish this was purple" type stuff. Stuff like "I have 300 session files from 7.4 that I need to open up that worked fine for years but now they will corrupt themselves or not be recallable because 8 has a hemorrhage with anything other than Digi plugins" type things. I've had to tell clients that at least for now, I need extra time to open up ANYTHING pre August 2010 because I need to make sure it won't go bananas. And recallability? Out the window. I've got hundreds of sessions using Kontakt for drums and whatnot that are screwed in 8.

I'm not used to this. For 8 years, I could open up any session I did from when I opened with no issues. Outside the occasional plug being out of date. Now, I wouldn't dare open any of my old sessions with 8, for fear of destroying them. Not a good feeling. And where I work, I actually have lots of people that work on stuff we started 3 years ago. So I cannot move "forward" tech wise without throwing away the past. At least until my mess gets sorted out.

Thankfully I've got the 7.4 drive. Or I'd be in big trouble.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2018.3.
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 AM

Wow, bummer man, sorry to hear about all that. It really clearly seems to be linked to EA in your case. I guess those older projects maybe you'll have to finish out on 7.4, if you can still run it.

I do agree on the 'major issues' though on the DUC. PT8, the initial release, for me, was the most buggy, not-nearly-ready-for-primetime release Digi/Avid ever released. It was literally only with 8.1cs1 that I felt safe using it.

Too bad too that Digi asked for material from you and never responded. I know there are some good people here on the DUC who try and be helpful, and I think they get pretty overwhelmed.

But many of us at least feel your pain, in various ways, 8 has been a real drag for many of us.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 AM

http://virtuavia.eu/shop/3-x-pcie-expansion-box.html

sure not certified for protools. I wonder whether it would work, share a HD3 card between mac pro and macbook pro 17".

RECORDING Studio: Mac Pro, OSX 10.6.8, PT HD 3 PCIe, Pro Tools 8.1.1,

MIX + MASTERING Room: MAC Pro, OSX 10.6.8, PT HD 3 PCIe, PT 8.1

3x 192 I/O, Digidesign PRE, UAD Octo, UAD Satellite Ultimate