Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Default Acoustic guitar recording

I have a Taylor acoustic with built in pick up. Wondered if anyone has had success recording acoustic guitars like this through guitar input. I can't seem to find a setting that will record without distortion.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Acoustic guitar recording

did you try bypassing the amp? and maybe the cab too
Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Most of the amps in the 11R will probably not sound great on acoustics. In real life, acoustic amps are more like little P.A. speakers - full range and neutral sounding. None of the 11R amps are like that, they're optimized for electric guitar.

The closest you might get would be the new DC Custom clean (or whatever it's called).

As Benoni said, you might bypass the amp and cabs.

However, even when doing that, you might find some interesting sounds with some of the effects, like the chorus and reverb, etc.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM

Are you planning tp record it at stage or at studio?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 AM

i know this is going to sound crazy, but live, i once ran an acoustic guitar through the effects loop on an eleven rack for a musical that needed quick changes from electric to acoustic. i did it so that i could just move one guitar aside and not have to worry about adjusting the guitar's volume or worry about it making noise while the other one was being used. plus, i didn't have time to switch the eleven rack's input. this way i could just let the electric guitar be the input and i could change patches and go back and forth to acoustic.

once the acoustic guitar was in the effects loop, i turned everything else off (minus a little eq <for volume and clarity> and reverb).

turns out, after the show, i saved the patch and still use it to record my acoustic. one track is mic'd and the other is this "direct line" approach, then i blend them together.

here's how i connected everything:
cable out of the acoustic (obviously) plugged into the "Return > Left/Mono"

i don't know the correct forum to upload a patch, but it's such a small file, i put it up for you to try out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zb9ps9rd8sbqflm
Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 AM

I use a taylor as well and plug into a taylor K4>Line in No amp or Cab and just a bit of chorus. The K4 does all the EQ I need before the input to 11R rig.

I hope the next upgrade has an acoustic amp in it. (that's not a moan about this upgrade though)!

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 03-23-2011, 08:31 AM

All great thoughts. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll give the suggestions a try.

Mark
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM

I have a T5 I use all the time. This is what I do.

I have a rig with one of the old fender amps. (I forget which one and can't get at my 11r at the moment) I use that with NO cab and a bit of EQ and a dash of chorus and reverb. I kid you not... the tone is AMAZING! We played at an event recently and all the other bands and sound guys were up after asking how on earth I got tone like that. It is just a beautiful monster tone...

Another idea would be to start with the new vocal rig on t1 and modify that. I have not tried this yet but I would guess that would work really well too.

The T5 is great with the 11R btw if you have a song that needs both electric and accoustic. I use my Les Paul otherwise.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM

One other note. I have the rig optimized for a DADGAD tuning with the Taylor T5.. SO sweet!
Old 12-27-2017, 04:07 PM

I came here looking for info. I'm new to Eleven rack. I have a Yamaha "Silent Guitar" steel string version and a Fishman Aura box that lets me get "voicings" of a lot of other great acoustic and microphone combos. You're supposed to be able to play through the headphone jack on the guitar but it is kinda low rent and wont reflect the Aura images. I usually send the output to two acoustic amps--a Fishman Loudbox Mini and an Acoustic A-20. The guitar, the Aura, the Loud box mini and the Acoustic A-20 all have chorus and reverb on them. I'm interested now in night playing some "silent" acoustic sans the amps. I was thinking maybe the Eleven rack could take the output from the Aura and give me some good sound in the headphone without mucking anything up because it only accommodates electric guitars. Frankly I didn't even know that until I read the posts above. I guess I'll have to see for myself. Unfortunately the Aura box has no headphone jack of its own.