Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 08-08-2020, 06:14 PM

Default Initializing audio engine freeze on start up

Hi all
I have Protools 2018 v4.0 using on a PC with intel i5, 64 bit OS and Windows 10. Have had no problems since installing over 2 years ago but yesterday I tried to open and it now freezes at "initializing audio engine" every time I try to open it, even though I was still accessing it as of yesterday morning but now something is keeping me out. I have read threads about "trashing Protools Preferences" and then re opening Protools. Does this work? If so, will I still have all my song files saved or will they be deleted? What about plug ins? I just want some confirmation or reassurance that this works, I can't afford to lose years of music. Any other suggestions as to how to fix this?
Cheers
Daz
Old 08-08-2020, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Initializing audio engine freeze on start up

Did anything change?

Are Windows automatic updates disabled?

What playback engine do you expect Pro Tools to use?

Hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools is starting and hold it down until the playback engine dialog appears. Then select that playback engine you want

If doing that does not get to the playback engine dialog panel then try trashing prefs (see "help us help you"), always the first step of real troubleshooting.

You really should be stepping through fairly standard troubleshooting before posting here and if still stuck let us know exactly what you did/what is still not working. Start at "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

And to split hairs, but to help you be clear to others in future, it's Pro Tools 2018.4, meaning it was released in April of 2018 it's not "v4", there was no "v1" no "v5" etc. For 2018 there was 2018.1, 2018.3, 2018.4, 2018.7, 2018.10, 2018.12. A busy year of releases.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply Darryl,
My playback engine is set to my Avid Fast Track Duo, checked that by pressing n on start up.
As for the other steps, I guess I'll check out the "help us help you" for more info as suggested.
Cheers
Daz
Old 08-08-2020, 08:45 PM

OK well the quick thing was not the problem.

You should follow the directions for trashing prefs. Make sure to follow directions for your version or Pro Tools. You should learn how to do it all by hand first... but if you end up doing a lot with Pro Tools, it's better to purchase the Trasher utility to do the same thing more easily https://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm

Some guidance to help you navigate other stuff (but have a good read of all the troubleshooting and optimization doc):

What is showing on the splash screen just before Pro Tools has the problem... any messages about plugins loading? (if so the you need to move all the .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins just move them to the (Unused) Folder, trash prefs again, and restart Pro Tools... does it start up now?)

You can try checking if any other apps can work with that interface OK, ideally apps that use ASIO. -- But when trying to use Pro Tools make sure all other apps and Windows itself are *NOT* using that device.

Ideally you are trying to open Pro Tools itself directly and not open a session.

Make sure the system is fully optimized, especially Pro Tools set to run as administrator.

You can try creating an new admin user and test running Pro Tools from that account.

If all that fails then try uninstalling and reinstall Pro Tools.

If all that fails you might be reinstalling Windows.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:37 PM

Ok, a lot there to digest. I'll work through it. There's no message about plug ins on the screen, just "initializing audio engine"
Thanks again Darryl

Last edited by dazjay; 08-10-2020 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Added to message
Old 08-15-2020, 07:38 PM

Ok, trashing preferences did work. Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2020, 10:14 PM

Coool. Thanks for letting us know that worked for you.