Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Default I can't get my Mic to work properly

I am using an iMac... Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB, Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55), With MBox Pro 2, package 1.2.0, firmware 1.0.3 and using Pro Tools 10.3.6. My Blue BlueBirdMicrophone detail below…..
Polar Pattern Cardioid
Diaphragm Size .98" (25mm)
Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz
Max SPL 138dB SPL (0.5% THD, 2.5 Kohm)
Output Impedance 50 ohms
Signal to Noise Ratio 87dB (A weighted)
Self Noise 7dB (A weighted)
Connector XLR
Using Shock mount, Pop filter, along with Sterling Mic Shield on Stand In quiet neighborhood small quiet room on a quiet private street.

I pick up outrageous amounts of background noise. If I snap my fingers or barely even whisper into the mic It shows up recording all black. Editing vocals is completely impossible, or anything else. If I play it back with out saying anything i hear nothing, when I play it back with me talking and testing I hear a faint sound of my voice or any sound I put into it. It's not the gain, I've adjusted that. I've tried using a condenser with its own phantom power and achieve the same results. This did not always happen. My mic worked the first month perfectly and picked up almost no background noise even when outside mowing. Now it seems as if it is sensitive. I don't know. Also Everything is brand new Since May 2013
Any help please
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Default Re: I can't get my Mic to work properly

Have you tried pressing the pad button next to your input gain? Should help if not.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 PM

Yeah I've done that and it either cuts out all sound or nothing at all. one button switches to rear inputs and the other is a shift limit button. it does nothing for my problem
Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djgman925 View Post
I am using an iMac... Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB, Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55), With MBox Pro 2, package 1.2.0, firmware 1.0.3 and using Pro Tools 10.3.6. My Blue BlueBirdMicrophone detail below…..
Polar Pattern Cardioid
Diaphragm Size .98" (25mm)
Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz
Max SPL 138dB SPL (0.5% THD, 2.5 Kohm)
Output Impedance 50 ohms
Signal to Noise Ratio 87dB (A weighted)
Self Noise 7dB (A weighted)
Connector XLR
Using Shock mount, Pop filter, along with Sterling Mic Shield on Stand In quiet neighborhood small quiet room on a quiet private street.

I pick up outrageous amounts of background noise. If I snap my fingers or barely even whisper into the mic It shows up recording all black. Editing vocals is completely impossible, or anything else. If I play it back with out saying anything i hear nothing, when I play it back with me talking and testing I hear a faint sound of my voice or any sound I put into it. It's not the gain, I've adjusted that. I've tried using a condenser with its own phantom power and achieve the same results. This did not always happen. My mic worked the first month perfectly and picked up almost no background noise even when outside mowing. Now it seems as if it is sensitive. I don't know. Also Everything is brand new Since May 2013
Any help please
Hi, From what you've said it sounds like it could be the MBox. Have you tried it on a different computer?

Also, Please do not post the same thread more than once.

Thanks,
Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM

What do the meters show? Are you recording below peak? What s your operating level.

After recording, you say the track is all black. Have you tried to lower the size of the waveform in the track window? Reduce it and see if the waveform now looks normal.

What are you listening to on playback? The MBox? Speakers? Headphones?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM

I've tried all of that. Instead of a flat line while recording it shows up with wavy lines like it's picking up sound. The meters max out at the slightest noise. It's almost like my mic is too sensitive.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
It's not the gain, I've adjusted that.
So the gain knob is turned all the way down to the left?

Quote:
I've tried using a condenser with its own phantom power and achieve the same results.
So it's not the blue mic - or both mics have the problem.

Quote:
Editing vocals is completely impossible, or anything else.
I guess because the recording "is all black" as you say. But then there would be just loud noise, distortion I would think. Do you know how to adjust how large the waveforms is displayed?

Quote:
If I play it back with out saying anything i hear nothing, when I play it back with me talking and testing I hear a faint sound of my voice or any sound I put into it.
I guess you mean:
"If I play back parts where I don't say anything, i hear nothing. When I play it back with me talking and testing I hear a faint sound of my voice or any sound I put into it."
So you have a waveform filling the dynamic spectrum but hear only faint sounds?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM

I'm pretty positive it is the MBox. This seems to be a common problem with the mBox pro 2. Any ideas of what I should do
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Any ideas of what I should do
Yea, I have an idea...
But hey, you OBVIOUSLY know what you're doing...