Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 02-18-2020, 04:29 AM

Default Fasttrack Pro inputs

I have been using a Fasttrack Pro for some time with Garageband on a mid 2010 Macbook Pro, just using it for single input multitrack recording. I now play with two other people and would like to do simultaneous multitrack recording requiring 5 tracks. I was hoping to run the output of my mixing desk in some way towards acheiving this. My Macbook does have two USB ports, and I do have a second device "IMic" which does work to have a second pair of inputs to the computer. I was wondering if I could use the insert jacks on the back of the Fasttrack to have an extra pair of inputs ? All the references I can find seem to refer to using these inputs with an outboard device such as a compressor. I am almost sure they are inputs, but if I connect my mixer output to them, it seems to disable the main inputs on the front panel. My mixer also has SPDIF , but I dont understand how to use that. Perhaps I am just being stupid, but I thought the Fastrack Pro was a 4in 4 out device?
Old 02-18-2020, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Fasttrack Pro inputs

Not the answer you likely want, but I'd say its time to move up to a bigger and better interface. If the mixer has a USB connection, you might be able to setup "aggregate", but using a more suitable interface is a better solution. Focusrite, MOTU, Presonus and RME all make interfaces that will handle more IO and will probably sound better too(M-Audio interfaces are/were mostly "budget" choices).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2020, 02:03 PM

Thankyou Dave for your reply. I have been looking at other interfaces ,but to have 6 or 8 inputs on a device is a big jump in cost. I can already aggregate all of the inputs on my Macbook and I am able to multitrack 4 simultaneous tracks. It is not ideal the way I have it all wired up. At this moment in time I am not really looking for perfect quality sound, just the ability to isolate our individual tracks for rehearsal / experimental purposes. I can also use "built in input" on the Macbook as part of the aggregate inputs. I realise the Macbook is limited to a Max of 8 simultaneous inputs when using Garageband. I also have Logic Pro and Protools, but find them a bit too complicated to use for my simple needs. I may have access to a Focusrite device with 6 inputs, due to a friend with several interfaces. My Mixer does not have USB connection, only SPDIF or analogue outputs. I might just sell a guitar or two and upgrade the setup !!
Old 02-19-2020, 09:00 PM

https://www.behringer.com/Categories...oogtrans(en|en)

Less than $300 used

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave