Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Default how to normalize (same volume) all my songs

after I convert to an audio file how do I put that file back into protools? I'd like to convert all of my songs into audio files like an mp3, put them all into a protools session, then master with Insight2 from Izotope to normalize all songs so they are all at the same volume level. Please tell me how to do this I am at a loss thank you for your time
Old 01-22-2019, 02:36 PM

Default Re: how to normalize (same volume) all my songs

YouTube.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:08 PM

You shouldn't be mastering MP3s. They come after mastering. Start with the original WAV files. Either import the file into PT, or bounce down to a new track. Lots of tutorials on YT, it's also all in the manual.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 01-23-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
You shouldn't be mastering MP3s.
That^^^^. And as bad an idea as that is at first glance, its actually a whole lot worse than you think. Why? Great question. Because, no only have you reduced the sonic quality by a huge factor, you also are converting the mp3 back into a wave file(assuming your "normalizing" session is using wave as the file format).

Keep the audio quality at the original settings as long as possible(if your song starts out at 24 bit/44.1K, keep it there until the very final stage).

As for "normalize", I bet what you really want is for all songs to sound louder than the mix-down(or Bounce to Disk) as well as having all songs sound similar in overall volume. But that's not really a function of the normalize process(or plugin). This is one of the chief functions of mastering. Maybe hit youtube.com and watch some tutorials on basic mastering so you can see(hear) the difference

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2019, 05:26 PM

thank you for your time guys so I went on you tube and discovered the normalize function in my audio suite in pro tools but that alone didn't work (I caught one of your responses that that wouldn't work later oops).
found a so called trick you normalize then set gain at -6db and that didn't work. after much frustration I decided to just put all of my songs in one session and normalize then tweak the volume respectively for each song.
I have recently heard of iZOTOPE insight2 the price point is 199 so I want to make sure it does exactly what I want it to. after I put all my songs in a session then put iZOTOPE on the master track will I easily be able to have all volumes sound the same? I think I'm going to write another thread asking specifically if anyone used iZOTOPE insight2 for making songs all the same volume. Thanks again
Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 AM

As others have pointed out, further processing after a lossy conversion should be avoided at all costs - lossy conversion should always be the last step before delivery if required.

Insight is a metering plugin, not a processing plugin. While a good set of meters will provide important information about overall levels/peaks/etc, you need to set relative loudness by ear, and peak/rms normalizing is both unnecessary and ineffective for this particular task - a good limiter will be required if you're trying to reach commercial delivery levels; Izotope's Ozone, Fabfilter Pro-L2, DMG Limitless, Nugen's loudness suite are all good products, but you can do more harm than good with them (particularly Ozone) if you don't know what you're doing.

I think you need to learn more about the basics of digital audio (starting with the difference between various formats); I'd start with Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio".

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 02-07-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 AM

The topic is so wrong guys... which is the one thing that OP wants to do:

1) normalize everything to same max dBFS, or
2) make all songs same loudness

If you normalize everything to -0.03dBFS (like they used to do in 80's) then I bet loudness is all over the place. So which is it
Old 02-07-2019, 01:11 PM

I want to drive a Ferrari at 250km/h but I don’t even have a driving license. Can you tell me how to do it?

Of course, start by applying to a driving school.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:53 AM

Just use Maxim, the free plug in with Tools. Try watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI1X...&frags=pl%2Cwn

It'll do what you want and it won't cost you anything.

Disclaimer : I don't use Maxim.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:13 AM

google "loudness" and "limiter" or click here:

https://youtu.be/BPUdiHEJ0EU
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC