Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 03:32 AM

Default How outdated is Mix + 24?

I've been viewing a studio setup to buy. This includes a Mix + 24 with farm card, AVID PCI expansion, 888, 1622, ADAT interface, G4 500 and a plie of SCSI drives, and TDM plugs (Ampfarm, virus, D2/D3, TC, Waves Gold, some others).
Is it worth piling money into this gear, or would investing in newer gear be a better option?
The studio will mainly be used for tracking band demos, and MIDI/sample work, so a newer G5 or even a dual G4 and a 002R would probably do the job and could be bought new with the cash the guy is wanting for the current setup.
I know that support will be dropped after the last 6.4 software release. Cant see this being problematic though.
What is the current market value for this lot? I've estimated about £5,000 GBP, being generous. I know it has a value against a trade in on newer TDM systems, but would I ever require what they offer?
Any help?
Old 05-07-2004, 04:17 PM

Default Re: How outdated is Mix + 24?

My Friend & colleague just picked up a Mix+ and 888/24 for $2500.00 US
This I consulted was a good deal.

The chassis is over kill (for a Mix+ and you may want a SCSI card instead.
Ask if the plugins are licensed, transferable and upgradeable.

The G5 with 2 gb of ram minimum for a sampling machine, a 002 and a couple of firewire drives with some software synth and plugin additions will give you support, current technology, higher sample rates for some additional studio integration as well as higher fidelity for your source samples and lets not forget the warranties.
This all may be a couple of grand less depending on monitors and software.

You will ultimately need to decide.

The Mix / Mix+ systems are still viable tools in the right hands.

Remember it’s the content and not the gear that makes for great music/sounds.

I would go with a deluxeo 002 if I were in your your scenario.

TC
Old 05-07-2004, 06:47 PM

Just remember, you will be limited to 32 tracks.

Otherwise, I've been wondering myself just how an 002, on a really fast PC or G5, would compare to
a Mix Plus system.

Of course, you have this little problem c of no more great TDM plug ins, like Reverb One. In fact, Reverb becomes your big problem.
And I'd miss Amp Farm, too
Old 05-07-2004, 09:00 PM

Main thing is the fastest Mac this will run on is a Dual 1.4 G4! (unless you go PC).

I have a mix system on a dual 1.2 G4, and just running Abelton Live I run out of CPU! So if you are wanting to use host based Samplers and other software you are really limited especially with a G4 500!

I would get a G5 and if you can't afford the smallest TDM rig, get a 002 rack for now, the power of the G5 does more that the mix as far as plugins go. But with the 002 you cant really do surround.

mark
Old 05-07-2004, 11:45 PM

Right thanks guys, it's pretty much as I thought then. I just want the best I can get with the money I have, the Mix chassis did seem an overkill even for what he did. He is selling a stack of stuff along with the system. I'd probably take the other gear off him, but he has no desk. He tracks thru a Roland Vm7 mixing system, and mixes in the box with his mouse. I dont really want to work with these complications.

Would using an analogue desk as a front end for a 002R be a bad idea. I could route the 8 ADAT channels thru an Alesis XT-20 into the desk giving me 16 channels to play with. However I have come across slight delay problems with the 002R between the digital and analogue outs, whereby the analogue signal was delayed by about 1.5ms in comparison to the digital. This was going into a Sony DMXR-100, and was easily fixed by delaying each digital channel on the desk.

Can I fix this with a standalone ADAT converter, as I dont think the Alesis will allow me to compensate?

The only solution I can think of at the minute is having a digital desk such as an 02R or (maybe keeping the Roland V mix system, but it looks too *****g complicated) and delaying the digital channels on that. I cant deal with the EQ on the 02R though and would prefer an analogue console for this. If i used both, routeing back out of the 02R into the analogue, perhaps it might be a good fix. I could also use the reverbs, extra compressors etc from the 02R, which arent brilliant, but are usable.
Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Otherwise, I've been wondering myself just how an 002, on a really fast PC or G5, would compare to
a Mix Plus system.

Of course, you have this little problem c of no more great TDM plug ins, like Reverb One. In fact, Reverb becomes your big problem.
And I'd miss Amp Farm, too

Mix plus is capable of 32 or 64 voices.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:05 PM

Hey, I´ve got a mix plus conected to 2 adat bridges and an 02R V2. It is a very solid reliable system, no headcahes, believe me.
If you have a good offer, I would suggest you buying it.
Just because after 6.4.1 Mix users will be alone it does not mean our systems will stop functioning.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:47 PM

If you were stranded on a desert island with that equipment plus a generator, there'd be a lot you could do. Still, from a technical standpoint, it's a bunch of antique end-of-the-line stuff. I'd shop for a good deal, and buy some newer stuff (definitely wait for the next G5 due out soon - hopefully the FireWire and PCI bus problems will be fixed).

If any of the equipment in that used package went went belly-up, getting it fixed would be expensive, and would make the acquisition not a very good deal. At this point, I personally would not be interested in a used G4 500 and a pile of SCSI drives unless they were almost giving them away.

Get one of the next G5's, put two or four fast SATA drives in it, perhaps add some additional FW drives, and get the 002R. When your budget allows, move up to an HD1 system or larger (time your purchase for one of Digidesign's big plug-in promos if you can). You'll always be able to sell the 002R like lightning on eBay.

Lee Blaske
Old 05-10-2004, 05:23 PM

lee, what are the firewire and pci bus problems with the first gen G5s?

thanks, travis.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:09 PM

Quote:
With Protools, if you run Logic or another app you'll Get more tracks!!!!