Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Anyone else just about fed up with Avid?

I'm a hobbyist too. I recently got back into making music and I'm absolutely loving the creative energy coming out of me. I love pro tools. Im so used to it that I can get really creative without thinking much about the ins and outs of the software. I've tried Cubase, logic, studio one and Ableton. None of them makes any sense to me. I'm sure if I spend enough time with the other programs I'd learn it.... but I just don't have to time and creative energy is so valuable... once it's gone...
When the perpetual license price went up to 200 I was pretty pissed, but I still would have payed. But aren't they getting rid of perpetual licenses? If thats true then yes... Im gonna have to really start learning another daw. Ill still use whatever version of pro tools I have but I'm not gonna rent this software.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
I'm a hobbyist too. I recently got back into making music and I'm absolutely loving the creative energy coming out of me. I love pro tools. Im so used to it that I can get really creative without thinking much about the ins and outs of the software. I've tried Cubase, logic, studio one and Ableton. None of them makes any sense to me. I'm sure if I spend enough time with the other programs I'd learn it.... but I just don't have to time and creative energy is so valuable... once it's gone...
When the perpetual license price went up to 200 I was pretty pissed, but I still would have payed. But aren't they getting rid of perpetual licenses? If thats true then yes... Im gonna have to really start learning another daw. Ill still use whatever version of pro tools I have but I'm not gonna rent this software.
Avid is still selling perpetual licenses and near as I know those will still exist. What doesn't exist as perpetual is support/upgrade.

Back when there was just murmurs of Avid going sub-only (thankfully they haven't) I started working with MOTU's Digital Performer. Interesting program and relatively light on cpu usage. Certain aspects of the gui are changeable by the end user if you know what you're doing. As I worked with it, giving it an honest try, I really started having issues with some of the workings of DP. For instance instrument tracks as we know them from PT don't exist in DP although there is what they call an instrument track. All it does is host a vi but no MIDI lie in PT. Small alphanumerics. Overly busy gui which takes it's toll on the video card (jumpy then playing a session on the same machine that I can play PT sessions that have more to them).

Upshot is I keep it around to work on stuff I did in it. I am slowly transferring over even those sessions to PT. Late last year I swallowed hard and paid the $299 reinstatement fee to go from PT 11.3.2 to PT 2019.6 and I don't regret it. Will I keep paying that yearly tax? Yes as long as it'll still run on my computer. PT is an old friend I don't want to leave behind.

QAPLA!
Old 02-14-2020, 04:50 AM

I got a call from Avid (yes, a shock) the other day. Didn’t recognize the number and let it go to voicemail. When I called back, it was a guy at a call center offering to reinstate the service for one of my perpetual HD licenses for $100. Didn’t want the offer because I get a better deal as an ALP instructor. Just wondering if anyone else is getting calls from Avid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-14-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtMesaMusic View Post
I got a call from Avid (yes, a shock) the other day. Didn’t recognize the number and let it go to voicemail. When I called back, it was a guy at a call center offering to reinstate the service for one of my perpetual HD licenses for $100. Didn’t want the offer because I get a better deal as an ALP instructor. Just wondering if anyone else is getting calls from Avid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If that’s true, I would have done it and flipped the license.

$100 is VERY cheap for an Ultimate license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
If that’s true, I would have done it and flipped the license.

$100 is VERY cheap for an Ultimate license.

I'm not sure they were offering an upgrade, perhaps only a service contract. I would't be able to flip it anyway, because it's technically owned by my school.

Fwiw, I have a great deal with Avid though the Avid Learning Partner program.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
I like pro tools, hate when the glitches happen for no reason and no change to system and now this crappy billing. I am just a hobby guy I dont make money at this... I was told to check out studio one. I dont want to jump ship but sometimes I get aggravated with avid...

...been using PT first as a student first than for work for nearly 20years and I tend to get fedup with it more and more. Past year we invested for our main studio into a brand new HDX system with a Goliath HD and it’s not been a clean ride at all. Keeping track with our supplier of all issues, I even pay them to research and solve but so far the list keeps growing. Sure a third party converter, that ‘ll never run smooth, but mann midi issues that ‘ve been there for 10years, editing issues, grouped tracks sliding heavily out of sync while duplicating. It’s really sorry that when we sit down at lunch and are chatting about our DAWS (studio 2 and 3 run cubase and nuendo) and notice how much lightyears they’re ahead. Avid is not listening at all. It’s sad to see, hear and notice.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:08 AM

This kind of thing worries me - i am trying to come back to pro tools after some years away (using other programs)
The truth is there is so much i love about PT. I knew it better than any other program.
But seeing so many comments like these and so many users upset with avid for not implementing the most basic upgrades is disheartening.
I really want to like it and would happily pay the money if i thought they were at some point going to bring the program up to speed and in line with competitors in terms of modern production features.
There is so much it does really well, but it seems like they ceased moving forward at some point whilst other companies have been speeidng ahead (in SOME areas)
Old 03-27-2020, 06:57 AM

What are the "most basic upgrades" you are missing?
Old 03-27-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What are the "most basic upgrades" you are missing?

Folder tracks
Arranger track
Macros/Actions
Plugin management/folders/tag system
Customizable shortcuts
Expanded shortcuts for existing functionality (i.e show only tracks in group)

Then there are things like render queue - arguable not basic, but given the type of work people do in pro tools would be highly advantageous.

There is so much that pro tools does really well - thats why we love it. It is just a little frustrating that there are so many things other devs seem to implement with ease, that take forever in the Avid world.
I am also aware that it is popular to slam avid constantly. Lets face it, pro tools rocks. But that doesn't make it frustrating at times.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:06 AM

If you go back to the very beginning of the DUC, you'll see that the sky has been falling around here forever! Avid/Digi take great care with backwards/forwards compatibility because they understand that any one session file is often a greater investment than the price of any DAW. We'd all love every feature we like to be in one DAW but we also need compatibility for moving projects around and plenty of our fellow Pro Tools users are still running version 10. In fact the elephant in the room is that this is probably why Avid and many other software developers are being forced in the direction of subscription.