Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-15-2002, 03:33 PM

Default Monitor stands?

I'm finally getting a pair of Genelec 1030a.

I want to get 36'' monitor stands for those, and I was wondering if I could once again gain from your experience? Which one have you used, did you like 'em or hate em, why, and what's the difference?

Thanks!

6am eternal
Old 01-15-2002, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Monitor stands?

I would suggest staying AWAY from the metal stands. I can't believe you wouldn't get some sort of resonance with them.

I forget which manufacturer's I have (they're 42") and made of wood. I went to Home Depot and got some sand, filled a bunch of ziplok baggies with it, and dropped them down the hole in the middle of the stand - it made a HUGE difference in the tightness of the bass and lower mids.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 01-15-2002, 05:37 PM

Wow. And I thought it might be a silly question, really. That stands were just stands...I guess I was wrong!

Thanks for the advice.

But if metal would have some kind of resonance, wouldn't wood have some resonance as well, even though a different type of resonance? I guess your idea to fill with sand is a good one.

6am eternal
Old 01-15-2002, 05:49 PM

I built my stands from the article in Recording magizine,sometime last year dont know what issue.Took an afternoon to make paint and fill with sand.I made them so my tweeters were at ear level.They have leveling spikes and the speakers sit on half inch rubber.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:25 PM

lamp, do you still have this article? Can you tell me more? Or if I send you a SASE would you send me a copy of that article?

Thanks!

6am eternal
Old 01-15-2002, 10:19 PM

Yeah, I actually used my stands without the sand in them for several years - not knowing any different. When I put the baggies of sand in them, it was a clearly audible difference.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 01-15-2002, 10:52 PM

I have cheap ceramic columns that I am using as monitor stands. They cost about 20.00 bucks a piece and are about 36 inches tall. I put the rubber feet on the bottom of my Mackie HR824's to lift them off the columns. They are completely hollow so I was also thinking of filling them with something. I was thinking of just using the bags of gravel that you put in fish tanks. Anyone see any problems with this?
Ron
Old 01-15-2002, 11:35 PM

I've sold High End audio for years and this is what I suggest..I agree that sand -filled metal stands work well- especially if the bottom of the stand is spiked so it cant resonate w/ the floor..HOWEVER- I have had TREMENDOUS luck w/ this.. go to a "garden center" that sells bird baths, etc..They will sell all sorts of ornamental lawn stuff including SOLID CONCRETE "greek" pillars in various heights. I bought a PAIR of 40" pillars for $50 and they have NO resonance..Some high end spk. manufactures, like THIEL, use concrete baffles in their top line $20,000 pr. because of the 0 resonance factor..This is a great option cause it looks amazing- sounds great- and is cheap..a good pair of metal stands are usually 75-100 pr. - at least in a hifi store..I would highly recommend this route [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2002, 05:41 AM

A little over a year ago, I picked up these Raxess monitor stands. pressed wood with black veneer (sp?). Square stand that they also recommended filling with sand or lead.

(chalk this up for the "d'oh - freak!" award)

Went to Franks Nursery & Crafts, bought some playground sand, and poured it into the columns. Proceeded to put the caps onto the stands. Move forward to the time where I had to deconstruct my basement to do waterproofing, and thus tear down my studio. I see splits at the bottom of the stand and sand leaking out. Packaged sand normally has moisture in it, which squeezed out and rotted the pressed wood, which split the veneer - nice wasted $100.

Zip-lock baggies, huh? Wish I thought of that . . .

Anyway, I eventually went to GC and picked up a pair of stands (can't remember the name of the company I am happy with - if you really want to know, I can try to dig it up). The pillars are solid wood, nicely stained. Shaped like half of an oval. Black wooden base and top. Metal spikes for the feet, and smaller metal spikes for the top for the monitors to sit.

I was amazed at the tightness of the sound and the stereo spread that I all of a sudden have - very cool.

hyp0static
Old 01-16-2002, 06:07 AM

Thanks Hypo. How much did you pay for those new stands? Yes, I 'd be interested to know what model that is, if you don't mind...

6am eternal