Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Default What are you expecting for PTx

Hi Guys,

I know, it's crazy, PT9 has just been released and it actually brings a lot of good news for lot of people (maybe not that much for HD users). But it looks like AVID just released PT with everything people was asking for: ADC, no specific hardware, more tracks, etc...

So, what do you think is still missing now? What are you waiting for the next update or upgrade... Whatever if it will be PT9.x or PT10 (PTX?)

Here is my shoot:

1) Offline Rendering, and then allowing Freeze function on individual tracks with fast switching between Takes.

2) New Plugin Manager and Plugin Browser with the possibility to create your own categories and access them by the current modes (Scrolling Menu) or by a Browser Window with Search, Filters, etc.... (such Reaper)

3) A Better Midi Editor with some Groove for the Timing Engine.

4) AU and/or VST Support (at least for the Instruments).

5) HEAT on any version with a kind of Automatic Harmonic Distortion on Tracks that are high and close of clipping. (Technically, bringing more saturation on a track when you come closer to the red zone :) )

6) "Flextime/Voc Align" to easily and quickly align one track on another or use one track as a groove reference. (such Logic)

7) Slip Move Wave inside a Region (such Digital Performer)

8) 64 bits support (also to Sandbox the plugin and avoid unstable system because of not correctly coded plugins)

9) Skins... I do think PT9 is nice, but it might not please anyone. Some skins such DP is actually cool I think.

10) Tiny Graphics improvement, including for some of the bundled plugins that clearly are awful.

I would be curious to know yours...

Phil

PS: I know do there's a dedicate website for Feature Request... But here it's only to have a global view on what other people do expect from PT and not a direct Feature Request thread.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Default Re: What are you expecting for PTx

#7 Exists now and has for a long time.

Some other decent ones though.

#1 #3 and #5 seem like good ideas.

Also already on ideascale I believe

me. . im looking for a few weird bug fixes and some improvements overall...

1. RTAS implementation guidelines and efficiency

2. Loosing the grid, can't track don why. . too busy working to figure it out but often time when coming out of beat detective the grid is set to none for some reason

3. Structure patch auditioning using the browser... Drag a patch over to audition and then the browser list defaults back to the beginning... How about a sample midi line (user programmable or choose from a couple options) and when holding the mouse a patch is auditioned.

4. Using elastic audio in the workspace. . why does the file start at beat 3 often if not MOST of the time. Makes no sense. And the tempo algorithm when analyzing is off many times especially if there is a bit of space in the beginning of the audio file.

5. Why is it that sometimes my real time midi properties don't work. I have gotten used to using the actual quantize window but why should I have to.

#4 could just be some weird thing with some files...but the odd thing is that it happens a lot so Im not sure the problem... Also #5 maybe that is a incompatible plug in or something but again i can't seem to track it down.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 PM

#7 already exists? I didn't know that. I know we can slip move a region, but I didn't know we can keep the region where it is and slip move the waveform inside the region.... can we? (Sorry to look stupid if we actually can do...)

Another thing I completely forgot which should be my number 0:

0-) Customizable Metronome Click. I know, we can build our own one, but seriously, is that really so hard to have customizable click sounds in Preference panel?

Phil
Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidouz View Post
#7 already exists? I didn't know that. I know we can slip move a region, but I didn't know we can keep the region where it is and slip move the waveform inside the region.... can we? (Sorry to look stupid if we actually can do...)l
It doesn't exist in the way you'd expect it to perform and behave, like other DAW's. Slip editing is blazing fast and quite needed on any DAW, unfortunately PT's slip editing is very archaic in it's performance and unusable for modern methods.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-12-2010, 11:02 PM

The midi editor is fine.
FL Studio - 9.0.3
Midi controllers - Behringer BCF 2000 - M-Audio Keystation 61es

Dan-Jay
Old 11-13-2010, 12:58 AM

A MIDI Drum Map editor similar to Cubase] plus the ablility to load in maps e.g. from NI Battery
Old 11-13-2010, 02:35 AM

What I want:

1) The elimination, once and for all, banished back to the depths of hell from whence they came, FADE FILES. There is absolute zero reason we still have them.

2) More voices. I'd like 256 for sure, even more if possible. I know the limitations of current TDM architecture limit this, but I can hope.

3) Multiple video files play at the same time on multiple video tracks. No real reason two or three quicktimes can't be playing at the same time.

4) Multiple marker sets. I'd like 8 of them please, that can be turned on and off independently.

5) Ability to have more than one session open at a time. I know the DAE will prevent this wish from ever happening, but I'd like to have two sessions open, and be able to cut and paste between them.

6) Folders in the region list? Hahahahaha, I know, I know, PT users have only been asking for that for a decade. And it will never never happen. Ever.

7) Pan Window follows Track Selection. I'm SOOO sick and tired of having to open each pan window on a different track. Nuendo has solved this beautifully with a static pan window. PT should do the same. One pan window, and whichever track my cursor is on, that pan window is now panning on that track.

8) VST. Just build a wrapper into the software already so we can use VST plugins.

Those are a few off the top of my head.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 AM

I was at a PT9 Seminar last night and most of what you asked for, Avid is FULLY aware of and working on it. And if anyone has been paying attention, things are occurring faster and faster lately. Especially in the last 6 months. Before it took for ever or never for requests to become reality.

Just give it time and don't SCREAM with caps on at Avid cause of user/technical error. Because this didn't work instantly when you upgraded and that.
I mean even computers, cars, TV's, hard drives etc, etc will have issues once in a while. There's only 1 Avid and a limited team of engineers. As far as users who buy PT 9 with living on this planet, the ratio is not exactly 1:1,000 per say, more like 1 engineer/technician per 100,00,00.
I find it fascinating that users complained big time on the price of pt9 which is a $250 up grade that is worth more than 10 times more. If you use it for a hobby or just getting into it. It's a pretty good price I reckon. If you use it for a living and mixing features films, commercials, trailers, TV, VO, Etc, etc, when making 6 figures, then um... Don't know what to say. Adding Sen MKH 416, KMR 81's, Waves Mercury bundles, T1 monthly bills and then to drop $250 and another $300 on CPTK to get hundreds of audio tracks, busses, aux, 7.1 to then work on bigger films and complain?

Fascinating.

Okay, done ranting about the ranters.

The next REALLY big thing for PT9.5 or PTX is multiple Region lists/Bins.
It's a basic feature on an Avid video editing and color coding of them too!.
Would be wicked to have a region list or bin for dia, sfx, , misc, etc and labled them how ever I want. I am sure it'll come out some day with like 4 bins. Then a thousand posts that hey, how come you gave up only 4 bins. then the next upgrade will have 10, another ton of posts, why does it have to be limited?
Then avid will finally do that in PT 11 and then someone will post, hey can we have multiple bins for our video?

... with color coding?
-PTHDN 2019.5 Ultimate
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX7 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 3
-iZotope Music Production Suite 2.1
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 11-13-2010, 05:27 AM

Thumbs down Re: What are you expecting for PTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
3) Multiple video files play at the same time on multiple video tracks. No real reason two or three quicktimes can't be playing at the same time.
Buy an AVID. You can even use your RTAS plug-ins with it now.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
It doesn't exist in the way you'd expect it to perform and behave, like other DAW's. Slip editing is blazing fast and quite needed on any DAW, unfortunately PT's slip editing is very archaic in it's performance and unusable for modern methods.

Shane
Shane, please explain a little more. I have been using slippin inside regions successfully, but maybe I just don't know how good it is on other DAWS? Tell me the other scenarios that work for you. thanks ff