Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Dispersing Regions

OK, I've been doing a lot of sample editing/creation in protools lately. Working at a game company and we've got a LOT of small samples that need to be recorded, cleaned, and separated. Anyway, you don't need to know my entire workflow.

One of the slowest portions of the workflow, however, is this: Once I have a recording fully separated into explicit samples, I put short (15ms) fade ins/outs on all of them. That's easy. After that, I consolidate each sample and it's fades back into a single region. That's a little annoying as I have to go click through each sample to consolidate them again. Any tips on that would be appreciated.

After that's done, I then switch to shuffle mode and shove all the samples right up next to each other at the beginning of the track. But, for ease of use in sound miner, I'm keeping similar sounds in the same sound file, and so they need some silence between them. The fastest way I've found to do this is to select all, and use the grabber tool. Deselect the first sample, hit opt-H for the shift command, and shift everything back half a second. Then deselect the frontmost sample with the grabber, opt-h, repeat. But having to use the grabber tool is a huge time sink. I haven't found any sort of key command that lets me un-select just one region from a selection of regions.

Of course the ideal would be a 'Separate regions by X ms of silence' command, where I could just select them all and put in 500ms, and it'd space them all automatically.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Dispersing Regions

Quote:
One of the slowest portions of the workflow, however, is this: Once I have a recording fully separated into explicit samples, I put short (15ms) fade ins/outs on all of them. That's easy. After that, I consolidate each sample and it's fades back into a single region. That's a little annoying as I have to go click through each sample to consolidate them again. Any tips on that would be appreciated
A work-around for this could be using an audiosuite plug-in with the file mode selector set to "create individual files". Perhaps an EQ set to flat or gain set to 100% or maybe DC offset removal. Select all regions at once and process. The downside is that all new files will have the naming structure of the plug-in.

Quote:
After that's done, I then switch to shuffle mode and shove all the samples right up next to each other at the beginning of the track. But, for ease of use in sound miner, I'm keeping similar sounds in the same sound file, and so they need some silence between them. The fastest way I've found to do this is to select all, and use the grabber tool. Deselect the first sample, hit opt-H for the shift command, and shift everything back half a second. Then deselect the frontmost sample with the grabber, opt-h, repeat. But having to use the grabber tool is a huge time sink. I haven't found any sort of key command that lets me un-select just one region from a selection of regions.

Of course the ideal would be a 'Separate regions by X ms of silence' command, where I could just select them all and put in 500ms, and it'd space them all automatically.
How about creating a 500ms region of silence then selecting it and hit "copy". In shuffle mode with tap to transient off, starting at the start of the first region, tab to the first junction and hit paste. Repeat the process, tab-tab-paste, so you have inserted the region of silence in between all your samples. Now go to the region bin and select your silence region (which you might have named aaaasilence for easy location) which should select the regions in the timeline. Change to slip mode and hit delete to clear them from the timeline leaving gaps between your samples.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Dispersing Regions

Quote:

Any thoughts?
After you've shifted your regions and want to de-select the first and continue (no mouse needed):

* Set your nudge amount to the amount of space you want between regions
* hit Cntrl-Tab (Mac) with Tab to Trans Off, this should move to and select the next region on the track
* hit Opt-Shift Return to select all regions to the end of the track
* hit "+" to nudge
* rinse and repeat
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music