Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 PM

Default Region Naming

So, I"m at a bit of a loss, here. Is there any quicker way to rename regions than to double-click it, type the name in the box, close it, and move on to the next region? I've got about 4 hours worth of vocal samples for a game that I need to organize, and I'm going to be having even more to get through soon, so constantly double clicking things is going to take forever.

I'm on a mac, I can't seem to command-arrow key around once the naming dialog box is open (like you can with tracks...)

The only thing I can think of is to make a bunch of tracks with the names I want, add regions to those, and then consolidate every region on it's own, to get protools to auto-name the regions based on the track name. But, this has lots of drawbacks and I don't like it much.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Region Naming

One thing that I do...

Lets say they all say "track 1.1" or something... and they all auto name.

• Rename the track to "narration" or something.

• Select all in that track (apple+a)

• Use the gain plugin and don't add any gain, but process it. Make sure you do "region by region" so it doesn't make one long file

• Then you can export them all (apple+shift+k) to whatever file type you want and to where you want.

• Then in finder, I use the automator feature to rename all of the ".01_01.aif" or something to just "_001.aif" and it'll make them all sequential.

Not at my rig right now so I can't tell you EXACTLY each step, but email me if you want more help, if I'm even headed in the right direction. Good luck.

-Ryan

•Pro Tools 12.6 (x2)
•OSX 10.11 & 10.12
•Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (x2)
•16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (x2)
•HD Native PCIe (x2)
•HD Omni (x2)
•192 i/o
•96 i/o
•4 Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
•Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI)
Old 04-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Yeah, that's getting somewhat close. I need to figure out Automator, it seems useful.

The problem is that I've got, about 400 discreet lines to go through, with between 3 and 12 takes per line, and they all need to be separate files. The end result should hopefully look like Human_Male_Wise_QuestOpen_L1T1, or Faun_Male_Fierce_QuestClose_L2T3 (L1 = line 1, T3 = take 3). It's all for a game, so each 'character' has a loooot of stuff that they say, and it all has to be labelled well, and uniquely, at that.

What I'm saying is that there's too much stuff to put each line on it's on track, and add the takes via automator. I can't put all the 'Human Male Wise' stuff on one track, because there's tons of different types of wise human male sounds.

Basically: We have something like 7 races, each with two genders, each gender has 7 different character archetypes, plus player sounds, each archetype has (at least) 14 speech cues, and each cue has between 2 and 6 actual lines. That ends up being something like 5,438 different lines that we're recording, plus however many takes each line takes makes it between 16,400 and 65,000 uniquely named files. Huuurgh. I wish I hadn't gone and figured out all those numbers, now.

I suppose the better option would be to figure out how to batch rename files in the finder? I donno.

Automator should be helpful, though, if only for labeling takes.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM

7.4 has a rename regions command and an auto rename regions command in the region list menu. (page 196 of guide)

so you can select a bunch of regions and either manually or automatically batch rename.

the problem with this is that PT uses the region list to determine what region to name first. So if you use the regular rename command (cmd+shift+R) you will be prompted to rename the regions in alphabetical NOT timeline order.

... does anyone know a way to change this?

-kirk

Sorting the region list by start time in parent might work for some applications... hmm...