Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-27-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Request for info: Mbox/Mbox2 noise bursts

my computer is as follows:
MacBook
1 Intel Core Duo 2ghz cpu
1 gb RAM
Mac OS X 10.4.8
Pro Tools 6.4 LE
Mbox 1
Connected to USB port furthest from monitor on left side.
interntal HD ATA 70gb.

I am receiving white noise whenever my digidesign core audio application comes up. Before the application comes up which is imperative for me to be recording audio in the first place it sounds fine, once it is running a super high pitch ringing/computer thinking type sound occurs (not extremely loud, but noticeable to an audio engineer's ears). If there is any solution to this conundrum it would be highly appreciated on my behalf. Thanks for your time.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I am receiving white noise whenever my digidesign core audio application comes up. Before the application comes up which is imperative for me to be recording audio in the first place it sounds fine, once it is running a super high pitch ringing/computer thinking type sound occurs (not extremely loud, but noticeable to an audio engineer's ears).
Im am having the exact same problem.

Heres my current machine:
Apple iMac 20"
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
1 GB RAM
HDD SATA 500 GB
Mac OS X 10.4.8
MBox 2
Looking at screen, using right most USB port (but tried them all)
MBox 2 firmware: 1.24
Pro Tools LE ver 7.1.1 (intel update)

Ive only recently bought this iMac coming from windows. I had this same issue on my windows machine and switching to iMac i was hoping on this problem being fixed. I thought it could be down to power issues of my pc power supply. My windows based machine specs are as follows:

Windows xp home service pack 2
Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 939)
1 GB RAM (2x512MB paired)
Asus a8n sli motherboard
Used every USB port
MBox 2
MBox2 firmware: 1.24
Pro Tools LE 7.1

I have however managed to get rid of the noise by using an Intel Core Duo Macbook running off battery (though havent tried running the macbook from the mains). So at least it isnt completly the MBox at fault. With the problem machines though, ive tried different speakers and monitors, tried moving the mbox and cables away from anything else, tried different cables etc, and nothing works. The next thing ill try is a decent power isolator/protector extention cable as the one im using right now is a cheap one. Oh yeah, ive also tried just plugging in my active monitors to the extention leads and running the iMac straight from the wall, but still no difference. Im sure it is some kind of power issue, but cant find out what, any help would be much appreciated.

PS The noise is a constant high pitched whine, not intermittent.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Just to add this massive thread, i'm experiencing odd noise bursts through core audio using the following spec.

iBook G4 1.33, OSX 10.4.8, 1GB Ram, Pro Tools 7.1, Mbox 2

Approx 30-45 seconds after after starting a song in iTunes i get a warbled, slowed down, distorted version of the song. The problem is resolved by stopping playback and resuming. My Mbox 1 used to produce two glitch split second audio dropouts at roughly the same time but it wouldn't effect playback.

I've also noticed since switching to the Mbox 2 that theres a constant high pitch whine when the Mbox is on, regardless of core audio or Pro Tools use. It's not mega loud and it's frustrating because the Mbox 1 doesn't produce the noise.

Cheers
Old 01-27-2007, 07:13 PM

Okay, so you guys are experiencing the "whine" too. Hmm. I'm waiting to get my Monster USB cable and test with that.

Digi, is there something that was introduced in PT7, that would have caused this problem to occur? It wasn't an issue back in PT6 versions. It's an easy problem to reproduce, because it's always there, as soon as the MBox powers up, the whine is there. Only thing I can think of is a shielding issue, but that might not explain why it was fine in previous versions of PT. Is it possible, that something in the firmware is not happy, perhaps something in newer versions of OS X or possibly Digi drivers?

Ugh..frustrating. At least so far, the white noise blast problem seems to be under control.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:10 PM

- PowerBook G4
- 1 CPU
- 1 GHz
- 768MB RAM
- Mac OS X 10.4.8
- Pro Tools LE 7.3.1
- Mbox (original)
- connected to USB port
- Internal ATA HDD 60GB and external firewire drive(s)
- CardBus firewire 400 interface

- I've had the noise burst issue a few times, but I think, for me, I've solved it. I simply turned off my AirPort connection. It seemed to happen to me when I was picking up someone else's wireless connection, in addition to my own. I don't understand the engineering of it, but I now always turn off my AirPort when using the Mbox, and I never have the noise burst.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:55 PM

I spoke to soon in my earlier post, the white noise bursts in Pro Tools started this eve and involved a restart to get Pro Tools back in to touch. The noise bursts were only during recording and i could maintain playback in Pro Tools and iTunes......weird???

- iBook G4 1.33
- 1GB Ram
- OSX 10.4.8
- Internal Travelstar 80GB 5400 recording to OWC FW400 Enclosure with Travelstar 5400
- Mbox 2 Connected to Top Left USB Port
- Pro Tools 7.1

After the restart immediately i launched Pro Tools and things seemed ok, i then opened iTunes and hit play, all i heard was a sound that was like somebody clicking there fingers. I quit iTunes and restarted the app, not the system and all was well........for now???

Cheers
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 AM

I've had this problem since I bought an mBox about 3 years ago. I then worked with an iMac G4. When I wanted to record in my computer from my recorder I had these bursts of noise and when I wanted to send it to my recorder I could not get it going at all.

Right now I only use ProTools to edit previously recorded AIFF files. Wich I can just import in a session without the need to record them again. I drag them form my CompactFlash recorder into my computer. Up to this moment I do not have the problem of white noise way on my iMac G5 1.8 Ghz under 10.4.8 with 1 GB RAM. But I never record with it from an external source.

I do have problems with the movements of my mouse. A rattling sound appears when I leave the inputs open and I move the mouse. So I must set all my input tracks to 'no input' Then this problem goes away.

If I record from one track to another using a bus in- and out put, I do not have problems with the mouse only when the input is set to an external source.

I will wait for the hardware update cause at this moment I first want to know what other surprises such an update might bring.

Peter
Old 01-31-2007, 03:20 AM

Jeez, what a mess eh? Just been testing my lab of Mboxes after upgrading to 7... guess what, they're clicking when I move the mouse, loud random noise bursts...
More noticable with non-PT software accessing thru the Core Audio.

iMac G5
512MB RAM (I know, should be upgraded next week)
PT 7.1.2
Absynth 4
Live 6
Max/MSP
Reason

There is a powered USB hub connected to the iMac.

If there's a driver that fixes this, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:22 AM

- G4 Qiucksilver
- 2 CPU
- 1.8 GHz
- 1GB RAM
- Mac OS X 10.4.8
- Pro Tools LE 7.3.1
- Mbox (original)
- connected to left USB port (if looking at the system from the back)
- Internal ATA HDD 60GB, 2 firewire 400 HDD 80GB connected to onboard firewire interface, 1 firewire 800 HDD connected to PCI card
- static occurs often upon launching/opening a session. Switching playback engine parameters sometimes clears the static, sometines unplugging/replugging the USB cable does the trick.

2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 10.14.6, PT Ultimate xxxx.x.x.xx, Atmos Production Suite 3.2, MDA Creator1.5, Rx7 Advanced, Ozone 8 Advanced, Kontakt 6.2, Soundminer v4.5Pro, Spanner 3.0.5, SoundHack 0.896
EuControl 20.1.0.18, Avid Control 20.1.0.1, Avid S1, iPad Pro 12.9" gen 1, iPad Pro 12.9" gen 3, Apollo 8 Duo tb2, UAD-2 Satellite Quad tb2, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 4 28TB
Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 PM

- Machine model: Power Mac Dual G5 2.0 GHz
- Number of CPUs: 2
- CPU Speed: 2.0Ghz x2
- Memory: 3GB
- OS version: 10.4.8
- Pro Tools LE version: 7.1
- What kind of Mbox: original or Mbox 2? Original Mbox
- Which USB port is Mbox / Mbox 2 connected to? Any port suffers this problem, including ports on my PCI USB card.
- List all installed Hard Drives, along with their capacity and how they're connected: 1x 200GB 7200RPM IDE internal, 1x 250GB 72krpm internal, 120GB External Firewire.
- List all installed expansion cards: includes PCI, PCI-X, PCIe, CardBus, and ExpressCard slots: ATI Radeon 9800 AGP, some sort of best buy 5-port USB card, extra ethernet card.
- Concise description of your setup: which hard drive(s) do you use for playback/record? Either of the internals.

How many audio tracks (mono/stereo? sample rate?) do you typically have in your session(s)? Ranges from 1 to maximum LE supports, problem exists no matter of the track numbers.

Do you have video hardware in your system, and/or video tracks in your session? Aside from my graphics card, no.

How frequently do you encounter the noise problem? Randomly, but more often with Cubase 4 Studio.

Have you noticed any patterns or have ideas about something you're doing that triggers the problem? Any other relevant details?
I've seen absolutely no pattern, but changing the DAE playback level fixes it for an indeterminate amount of time.

I'm actually in the middle of writing a track as I type this, and cubase continually puts out noise. Protools plays back fine, but if I quit and reopen cubase, the problem returns.

I've seen talk of this firmware upgrade, and would love if someone were to send it to me.