Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-29-2002, 01:22 PM

Default Re: If I edit files after exporting to 2nd session, how is 1st session affected?

Alex,
Thanks.

After more digging through the manual, it appears to me that the best option for me is to save the current session using the "Save Session Copy In" command. It appears I could save as, say, "Song X-Record Tracks", then use the current (original) session to mixdown. After mixdown, I could "Save Session As", say, Song X-Mixdown".

This way I avoid going through exporting/importing files. If I am reading the manual correctly, editing files AFTER I "Save Session Copy In" will NOT alter the files in the saved copy, only the files in the current session. This is even if I delete files in the current session.

Am I correct?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-30-2002, 12:45 AM

Default If I edit files after exporting to 2nd session, how is 1st session affected?

I am pushing the 24-track limit in a session, so I plan to export selected files to a 2nd session where I will do mixdown. Since I believe both sessions will be calling on the same stored files, I assume that:
(1) If I subsequently edit the files in either session, the edits will appear when I open the other session.
(2) If I delete a file in one session, it will be deleted in the other session.

Am I correct on this?

If so, how can I edit in the 2nd (mixdown) session and avoid affecting the first (recording) session? Do I have to somehow rename files in the 2nd session immediately after exporting?

I normally work in only one session/song, so I haven't encountered this issue before. I am sure this is in the manual somewhere; I just haven't found it.

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Mike
Old 03-30-2002, 12:58 AM

Default Re: If I edit files after exporting to 2nd session, how is 1st session affected?

Just be careful not really deleting the audio file from the hard disk. If you are deleting a file you always have the option of Remove or actually Delete from the hard disk. Removing an audio file from your session, or deleting a track, does not affect the original audio file.
And of course, if you edit regions, like cut, paste, crossfade, etc., you are not affecting the original audio file.
Even if you are applying Audiosuite processing, try the "create a new file" or something like that (I don't have PT near me right now), so the original audio file remains intact in the hard disk and a new processed file is created in your new session.
Hope this help.
Alex
Old 04-01-2002, 07:11 AM
Avid

Even after performing a "Save Session Copy In" procedure, the new session will still be referencing the original audio data if its directory location does not change.

I would suggest following these steps to ensure that a copy of the session is referenceing the audio files of the new location:

-Copy (in the Finder) the session folder to a new location..it would probably also be a good idea to rename the session file.
-Take the original session folder and change its location (drag onto the Desktop or temporarily into the Trash).
-Open the session file in the new location.

RESULTS:
-The copy of the session opened, referencing the audio at the new location.

Brent
Old 04-01-2002, 11:52 AM

Brent,
Thanks for the tip!
That's a precaution I'll take in the future.
Mike
Old 04-01-2002, 03:29 PM

I was wondering about that too, and I read Brents post again:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> if its directory location does not change. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As I understand it you shouldnt "save session copy in..." in the same folder as the original file. Makes sense. Why would you?
Old 04-01-2002, 03:37 PM

You have to specifically select to 'copy all audio files', otherwise it will just reference the original files. I think this is what Brent was referring to.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:01 AM

Hey Brent,
I have never had a session refer to the old files when using "save copy in.."

It makes a new session and new audio files folder and a new path to the new audio files.
Perhaps if I did in the same general location it would occurr. But I dont understand what you mean.