Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 AM

Default Mixing in Reason vs Pro Tools Tips or thoughts

What are your thoughts on Mixing in Reason vs Pro Tools? I've always exported my reason sessions into Pro Tools and mixed in Pro Tools. I do know some people that Mix in Reason. Some mix the entire Reason session while others mix certain sounds and beats together and export them into Pro Tools and mix everything again. What are your thoughts on this. Would love to hear them. Maybe someone has tips on how this could help or make the overall sound better.

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Mixing in Reason vs Pro Tools Tips or thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
What are your thoughts on Mixing in Reason vs Pro Tools? I've always exported my reason sessions into Pro Tools and mixed in Pro Tools. I do know some people that Mix in Reason. Some mix the entire Reason session while others mix certain sounds and beats together and export them into Pro Tools and mix everything again. What are your thoughts on this. Would love to hear them. Maybe someone has tips on how this could help or make the overall sound better.
Personally no matter where my sources are coming from I like to do the mixing in PT and not the source. That way I have total control of the mix because if you're also using stuff recorded in PT along with what you're importing you may need to make changes to the imported files (like eq, compression, mix balance, etc.) and why fight what was done in the source?

I use Reason but never multiple tracks; at most I use Rewire for certain sounds I have in Reason than what I have available in my other synths - like the Abbey Road Keyboards or Thor. That way I have the audio in PT and can work with it to my heart's content.

Another place I mix in PT and not the source is with BFD2 drums. I bring out the direct mics, ambient mics, overheads and such to individual channels in PT so I can change things as needed. That and I don't like the mixer in BFD.

QAPLA!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:03 AM

I'm with Jack on this one. I love Reason and use it often for the many sound modules I have and all the great sounds. But like Jack, I prefer to do all the mixing in PT. So I'll use Rewire to route audio back to PT to either an Aux or Audio track from Reason and use the Reason mixer the way I would a mix console in the recording studio, to control the input levels. Nice thing is, you can automate that in Reason so you have a nice consistent input level in Pro Tools if you need to do that.

I will from time to time import an audio track to Reason in order to do some clever processing with Reason's vocoder or some other fx module such at Alligator...but then route that audio via Rewire back to a Pro Tools track for the mix.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 AM

All mixing in Protools, period.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:54 AM

Does anyone export from reason to Audio rather than use rewire and print to track?

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 12-16-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Does anyone export from reason to Audio rather than use rewire and print to track?
I've done it both ways but prefer print to PT track.

QAPLA!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
always rewire in.. when u export from reason the reason mixer degrades the quality, this is especially true up until reason 5. anything after reason 5 they have a new mixer but i still think it degrades the quality slightly... rewire out of reason bypassing the mixer, if you have any fx (like distortion, reverb etc) u should keep them, but all your compression / eq and stuff you should take off and do in pro tools...

pro tools sounds much better and way better to mix in... like i said the quality in reason sounds degraded somehow even the new reason
Old 12-20-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk View Post
always rewire in.. when u export from reason the reason mixer degrades the quality, this is especially true up until reason 5. anything after reason 5 they have a new mixer but i still think it degrades the quality slightly... rewire out of reason bypassing the mixer, if you have any fx (like distortion, reverb etc) u should keep them, but all your compression / eq and stuff you should take off and do in pro tools...

pro tools sounds much better and way better to mix in... like i said the quality in reason sounds degraded somehow even the new reason
Most of the time when I use Rewire to send audio from Reason to a PT Aux or Audio track, I still go through the mixer. I route the Audio out from the Mix channel in Reason to the Rewire channel I want. That way I can use the Reason mixer to control input level on the PT track the same as you would use a mix console in the studio to control input levels of a live player. I've never noticed any degradation in sound at all. I've Rewired directly from a sound module in Reason and through the mix channel and I can't tell or hear any diff whatsoever. Also, by using the mixer, you can tweak the EQ with those wonderful Reason mix console's eq's...I find those VERY useful! Just my $0.02

Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Most of the time when I use Rewire to send audio from Reason to a PT Aux or Audio track, I still go through the mixer. I route the Audio out from the Mix channel in Reason to the Rewire channel I want. That way I can use the Reason mixer to control input level on the PT track the same as you would use a mix console in the studio to control input levels of a live player. I've never noticed any degradation in sound at all. I've Rewired directly from a sound module in Reason and through the mix channel and I can't tell or hear any diff whatsoever. Also, by using the mixer, you can tweak the EQ with those wonderful Reason mix console's eq's...I find those VERY useful! Just my $0.02
Problem with using the Reason eq (or any other Reason effect) is if it doesn't work in the mix you're doing you're stuck with it and have to work around it harder than if you had no built-in eq. You never really want to eq based on a track being soloed but as part of a mix.

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Problem with using the Reason eq (or any other Reason effect) is if it doesn't work in the mix you're doing you're stuck with it and have to work around it harder than if you had no built-in eq. You never really want to eq based on a track being soloed but as part of a mix.
I don't see why. You're not "stuck" with anything. If I don't like how a sound from a Reason module sent to PT via Rewire through the Reason mixer sounds in the mix, I can either open the Reason mixer and adjust the eq on the channel strip, or open the sound module and tweak the sound. How is that any different than tweaking an eq directly on a PT track or tweaking the instrument on the VI interface?