Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Default Best switch/router for Artist series?

Hi all,

Just in the process of stepping up from a Command 8 to a set of two Artist Mix + Artist Transport which means I'm in the market for an Ethernet switch/router. Any recommendations?

One friend with an artist mix told me he had issues with a router, because it was trying to assign IP addresses, so he recommended a switch in general since they're simpler. I'm hoping to find the most stable connection possible.

I'm running a 2010 model Mac Pro running OS 10.9 with Pro Tools HD 11.

One interesting thing I learned this week. Mogami makes ethernet cables. But.. they told me directly that there's nothing special about the insides of the cable, that they simply have to follow the ethernet spec. They did however put thought and design into the exterior of the cables, making them more durable and easy to work with, especially in situations where they will be handled frequently.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Best switch/router for Artist series?

I have 2x euphonix MC Mix and a transport in an Asus "unmanaged" switch connected in its own ethernet port (no other router involved, internet is passing in another port). Eucon 3.2.1. very stable.

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 12-21-2014, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Best switch/router for Artist series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosSounds View Post
Hi all,

Just in the process of stepping up from a Command 8 to a set of two Artist Mix + Artist Transport which means I'm in the market for an Ethernet switch/router. Any recommendations?

One friend with an artist mix told me he had issues with a router, because it was trying to assign IP addresses, so he recommended a switch in general since they're simpler. I'm hoping to find the most stable connection possible.

I'm running a 2010 model Mac Pro running OS 10.9 with Pro Tools HD 11.

One interesting thing I learned this week. Mogami makes ethernet cables. But.. they told me directly that there's nothing special about the insides of the cable, that they simply have to follow the ethernet spec. They did however put thought and design into the exterior of the cables, making them more durable and easy to work with, especially in situations where they will be handled frequently.

Thanks!
The biggest issue you're going to have with an ethernet cable is not the cable itself but the connectors. That little prong that holds the connector in the receptacle on the router and computer is not the most durable thing in the world. They wear out and break easily, especially if you're handling the cables on a regular basis. And unless you have the tool to redo the connector you have to replace the whole cable.

If you have a choice of cat 5 or cat 6 ethernet cables get cat 6 as it has better shielding.

QAPLA!