Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Logic 7, HD3, G5. Anyone have this combo (stable)?

Hi,
I have been working on a few systems of this nature (G5/L7/PTHD6.7) and have
encountered
massive stability problems, 9060 errors, crashes, freezes even after much troubleshooting
and isolation. I have even run with a freshly reformatted drive PT 6.4 (or 6.7) and Logic 7
only, to no avail. I have played "round robin Ram Chip" ad-infinitum, modulated all SW
versions, reinstalled/reformatted killed prefs repeatedly I have 3 questions mainly... How
many people are successfull with this combo. How have they managed this, where can I
find more usefull ideas for solving this problem, much of the forum info is only partially
relevant as this is a new combination.
studiogeek
Old 11-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Logic 7, HD3, G5. Anyone have this combo (stable)?

We're running that setup, but it's not trouble-free. It's workable though. Doesn't sound as bad for us as it is for you. We're doing nothing special.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:23 PM

Hi, your not alone, logic 7 and 6 is very unstable especially working with a full mix. Their implemtation of TDM has been left behind as digi has progressed. I have given up. Now mix in protools. Its up to digi and apple to sort this one out if they have any concern at all.

logic7 . hd3 accel . 3G ram. G5 D1.8 osx10.3.5
Old 11-16-2004, 07:29 AM

HD2Accel instead of HD3, but otherwise same setup. So far so good, except for the Logic instability. BTW, I'm not upgrading PT to 6.7 until I see fewer problems on the boards, so I'm still at 6.4.

I also have not upgraded the system beyond 10.3.5 (which the G5 came with).

The errors sound like permissions issues. Maybe hold off the round robin allocation until system is otherwise stable. There is a general troubleshooting PT /OSX link on the forum that you should probably try - sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

The Logic issues are legion, not just tdm, very unusual for Emagic - hopefully not the norm for Apple. I'm more than a little surprised at the amount and severity of the problems and also how long it has been without an update.

Best....H
Old 11-16-2004, 09:25 AM

I have been using Logic 7 on my dual 1.4 G4 with a HD 7 Accel system and have had few crashes. The only real problems I have had are when using Wvaes AU plug-ins. I just avoid all Waves AU PI. So I use them in TDM.
I had a RAM issue (The RAM tested good) I relaced it with premium RAM - I would recommend 2 GB (max in a G4) of more in a G5.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:50 PM

My set up (Logic 7/HD2 accel/PT 6.7/OS 10.3.5) is actually in general better than it's been for a while. There are some issues remaining (especially with various AU/VST wrapped plugs) and I mix in Pro tools as Logic's mixing on TDM is still not right (automation and audio work on the main page mainly). I've seen lots of posts all over the place from users having major problems and it does seem that some people are just finding it works and some are not. I do hope you get it sorted, I've been there in the past and it's not pleasant.