Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 AM

Default MIDI Notes disappear when real time properties enabled

Bug: MIDI Notes disappear when real time properties enabled

1) Make a MIDI track
2) Draw a note on it and place it directly on the grid at beat 2/1/000 (so you have some pre-roll/post-roll)
3) Zoom in horizontally in the edit window all the way to the sample level as if you were analyzing position of start of MIDI note

4) Now enable display of real time properties in the edit window
5) Turn on the "delay" property and set value to -11ms
6) Zoom in on the note again in the edit window.

Result: The MIDI note just disappears from the screen when you are zoomed in far enough. Pro Tool doesn't display it on the track. If you zoom in the to the point where it suddenly disappears, then scroll the edit window left and right a little bit, you'll see Pro Tools occasionally draw the MIDI note in the wrong place on the timeline. If the delay property is set to -5ms, the note doesn't disappear. It disappears at -6ms or beyond. Same with positive delay values. 5ms visible. 6ms+ - invisible.

Digidesign, please fix this! I need to zoom in often on MIDI notes to correct for plugin slop while I'm programming!

FYI - the reason I was playing with delay values on MIDI tracks was that I cannot get Stylus RMX to trigger samples accurately. I'm using the stock core library RMX samples, just a couple of kicks and snares, and RMX is about 11ms late in triggering sounds, with a slop factor of about 1-2ms. Does anybody know if that is just a general problem with Stylux RMX? Does it work well with ADC on anyone's system? Is it supposed to be sample accurate with Pro Tools 7? All good questions for Spectrasonics support I guess, but the troops in the field usually know the answers better than anyone else. Thanks.

System Info: Quad G5, HD3 PCIe, Pro Tools 7.3.1cs4, MacOS 10.4.9
Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: MIDI Notes disappear when real time properties enabled

Anybody else seeing this issue? Digi tech support, can you reproduce it? Can you fix it anytime soon? I think it's a fairly significant bug - MIDI notes just disappearing from the screen.

Also, I'm hearing from a plugin developer that perhaps MIDI beat clock might be messed up in 7.3.1cs4 and that's why I'm having the sync problems in the first place that led me to try manually compensating MIDI tracks. Is there any truth to this? Would really appreciate a reply. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:18 PM

I have also seen this on occasion. I've been zooming out slightly for a work-around but this bug SHOULD get fixed.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 AM

Hey BGee,

Did anyone from Digi reply to you in regards to your problem?

I'm trying to draw in Midi notes (like Cymbal hits) at beat 1 of a new region and the notes just disappear! They don't show up no matter what zoom level I'm at, the drawn in notes don't "playback" but if I go under the Edit menu, I can choose to undo the drawn in Midi notes! The drawn in Midi notes only disappear at the first beat of a some new regions, I can draw in notes anywhere else in the grid.

I'm using EZ Drummer (for what it's worth), I'm dragging a Midi groove (which is about 1 bar long in length) from the plug-in into my instrument track, then I "Command D" that section I just dragged in to duplicate that 3 times to form a 4 bar 4/4 region. Then I choose another Midi groove, drag that into the instrument track, repeat the duplicate procedure to form another 4 bar 4/4 region. Now if I want to draw in something like a cymbal hit at the beginning of that new region that's when I run into the disappearing note problem. Hope this makes sense.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Thanks

PowerMac G5 DualCore 2.3 (PPC) with 6.5 GB of Ram, Tiger 10.4.9 (Combo Update), DIGI 002 (Console), ProTools LE 7.3.1cs4
Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM

Haven't received any reply or acknowledgment from Digidesign. I'm only seeing the problem when I have the delay property turned on on the MIDI track. I use loop feature for MIDI regions (option-apple-L instead of duplicate). I'll try it your way and see if that causes the problem to happen more often.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 AM

Thanks, I greatly appreciate it! Good luck with your situation!